Forums

"HDMI with ethernet" feedback into DVI blowing up monitor ?

Started by Unknown December 2, 2018
Hello,

Here is a short question for you:

Is it possible for an asus GT 520 graphics card to cause a "over-voltage" feedback from "HDMI with ethernet cable" to "DVI cable" to monitor

Setup was as follows:

PC with GT 520 <-- HDMI with ethernet --> a/v receiver
PC with GT 520 <-- DVI --> Monitor

So is it possible the receiver send back a audio/video signal to the GT 520, which then abusively added it to the DVI signal, causing over-voltage in the DVI signal to the monitor, basically blowing up/damaging the monitor ?!?!?!?

Bye,
  Skybuck.

I am newb to HDMI, apperently there are 4 types, the cable I used was described on the product box as:

"High Speed HDMI Cable with ethernet"

I am now worried that this might have caused damage somehow ? Hmmm...

4 types described here, with a 5th on the way:

https://www.pcworld.com/article/2030669/laptop-accessories/hdmi-vs-displayport-which-display-interface-reigns-supreme.html

"
    Standard HDMI Cable: Provides sufficient bandwidth for only 720p and 1080i resolution video.

    Standard HDMI Cable with ethernet: Has the same bandwidth, but adds support for 100Mbps ethernet.

    High Speed HDMI Cable: Provides more bandwidth, and can carry video with a resolution of 1080p or higher (up to 4096x2160, or 4K, but at a maximum refresh rate of just 24Hz, which is fine for movies, but terrible for games). This type of cable can also handle 3D video.

    High Speed HDMI Cable with ethernet: Supports the same resolutions as High Speed HDMI Cable, as well as 3D, and adds support for 100Mbps ethernet.
"

Bye,
  Skybuck.
No

It&rsquo;s probably lightning from the tin hat you are wearing

Over voltage surge can come from mains cables or external cables

Cheers

Klaus
skybuck2000@hotmail.com wrote in

> So is it possible the receiver send back a audio/video signal to the > GT 520, which then abusively added it to the DVI signal, causing > over-voltage in the DVI signal to the monitor, basically blowing > up/damaging the monitor ?!?!?!? >
Absolutely NOT possible.