e-phemt

Started by John Larkin July 12, 2018
https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=SAV-551%2B


This is a sub for a discontinued Avago part. "SAV" means "save
discrete design."

One of my guys found this online. What's weird is that someone here,
Phil H I think, suggested a while back that Mini-Circuits had some
e-phemts, so I emailed them, and they denied it.


-- 

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing   precision measurement 

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 8:01:23 PM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=SAV-551%2B > > > This is a sub for a discontinued Avago part. "SAV" means "save > discrete design." > > One of my guys found this online. What's weird is that someone here, > Phil H I think, suggested a while back that Mini-Circuits had some > e-phemts, so I emailed them, and they denied it. >
Huh, I guess that explains the 'flat' price. George H.
> > -- > > John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc > picosecond timing precision measurement > > jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com > http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On 07/12/18 20:01, John Larkin wrote:
> > https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=SAV-551%2B > > > This is a sub for a discontinued Avago part. "SAV" means "save > discrete design." > > One of my guys found this online. What's weird is that someone here, > Phil H I think, suggested a while back that Mini-Circuits had some > e-phemts, so I emailed them, and they denied it. > >
The MCL guy called me, and I lobbied pretty hard for them to be a second source. Hopefully they established a real second source and didn't just order 20 reels from Broadcom before the parts went away. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 03:43:00 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>On 07/12/18 20:01, John Larkin wrote: >> >> https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=SAV-551%2B >> >> >> This is a sub for a discontinued Avago part. "SAV" means "save >> discrete design." >> >> One of my guys found this online. What's weird is that someone here, >> Phil H I think, suggested a while back that Mini-Circuits had some >> e-phemts, so I emailed them, and they denied it. >> >> > >The MCL guy called me, and I lobbied pretty hard for them to be a second >source. Hopefully they established a real second source and didn't just >order 20 reels from Broadcom before the parts went away. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
The drain curves look different, specifically the MiniCircuits parts conduct harder. I haven't check the s-params. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On 07/13/18 10:55, John Larkin wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 03:43:00 -0400, Phil Hobbs > <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: > >> On 07/12/18 20:01, John Larkin wrote: >>> >>> https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=SAV-551%2B >>> >>> >>> This is a sub for a discontinued Avago part. "SAV" means "save >>> discrete design." >>> >>> One of my guys found this online. What's weird is that someone here, >>> Phil H I think, suggested a while back that Mini-Circuits had some >>> e-phemts, so I emailed them, and they denied it. >>> >>> >> >> The MCL guy called me, and I lobbied pretty hard for them to be a second >> source. Hopefully they established a real second source and didn't just >> order 20 reels from Broadcom before the parts went away. >> >> Cheers >> >> Phil Hobbs > > The drain curves look different, specifically the MiniCircuits parts > conduct harder. I haven't check the s-params. > >
Yeah, the Early voltage goes for a dump at about 2V D-S. Below there the drain impedance is a super-stiff 200 ohms. ;) Skyworks still seems to make the SKY65050, and they're much better for time-domain stuff--you can actually make a source follower that more or less follows, unlike the Avago ones. The drawback is their 30 MHz 1/f corner, vs. 10 MHz for the Avagos. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC / Hobbs ElectroOptics Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 http://electrooptical.net http://hobbs-eo.com
On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 16:19:23 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>On 07/13/18 10:55, John Larkin wrote: >> On Fri, 13 Jul 2018 03:43:00 -0400, Phil Hobbs >> <pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote: >> >>> On 07/12/18 20:01, John Larkin wrote: >>>> >>>> https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=SAV-551%2B >>>> >>>> >>>> This is a sub for a discontinued Avago part. "SAV" means "save >>>> discrete design." >>>> >>>> One of my guys found this online. What's weird is that someone here, >>>> Phil H I think, suggested a while back that Mini-Circuits had some >>>> e-phemts, so I emailed them, and they denied it. >>>> >>>> >>> >>> The MCL guy called me, and I lobbied pretty hard for them to be a second >>> source. Hopefully they established a real second source and didn't just >>> order 20 reels from Broadcom before the parts went away. >>> >>> Cheers >>> >>> Phil Hobbs >> >> The drain curves look different, specifically the MiniCircuits parts >> conduct harder. I haven't check the s-params. >> >> >Yeah, the Early voltage goes for a dump at about 2V D-S. Below there >the drain impedance is a super-stiff 200 ohms. ;) > >Skyworks still seems to make the SKY65050, and they're much better for >time-domain stuff--you can actually make a source follower that more or >less follows, unlike the Avago ones. The drawback is their 30 MHz 1/f >corner, vs. 10 MHz for the Avagos. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
The SKY part has super DC specs, but it's a depletion part, and some of our products were designed around enhancement phemts. It's good for 15 volts. Rds-on is about 7 ohms. Probably lower if enhanced a little. RF parts are seldom specified for useful stuff like Rds-on. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
They specify minimum noise figure. I hope it is the really maximum. Or
what do they do with really good ones.

On Thu, 12 Jul 2018 17:01:12 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highland_snip_technology.com> wrote:

> >https://www.minicircuits.com/WebStore/dashboard.html?model=SAV-551%2B > > >This is a sub for a discontinued Avago part. "SAV" means "save >discrete design." > >One of my guys found this online. What's weird is that someone here, >Phil H I think, suggested a while back that Mini-Circuits had some >e-phemts, so I emailed them, and they denied it.
On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 20:41:44 +0300, LM <sala.nimi@mail.com> wrote:

>They specify minimum noise figure. I hope it is the really maximum. Or >what do they do with really good ones. >
I use them in time domain, as switches, so I don't care about all that RF stuff. We do have to charactize a lot of stuff ourselves. I plan to try them as diodes as soon as I get some samples. Phemts make interesting diodes. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com