WiFi Connection Quality

Started by July 11, 2018
My wifi connection seems to be working worse than usual.  I can connect directly to
the WISP modem and get a good connection.  Connecting to the router by cable seems
to get a good connection.  By "good" I mean the ping times to 8.8.8.8 are
consistently in the 20's or 30's of ms.  When on the wifi connection lately the ping
times are up to 500 ms and beyond 20 to 30% of the tests.

I would suspect a problem with interference, but this is not a location with much
around.  The nearest neighbor is next door ~100 feet but no one is there (weekend
home) and they don't have a router.  They use their cell phones for Internet access.
 The next closest neighbor is 300 to 400 feet away and has a typical router like I
do.  Everyone else is over 500 feet away and I can only see their wifi show up
sporadically at levels of 1 or 2 bars if any.

My router is an old WRT54GL which has worked fine for some time.  My PC is only 8
feet away so the signal strength is full scale.  The laptop is a Dell Precision
M6800 which seems to work ok at other locations.

A speed test only shows slightly slower speeds, but on interactive web sites I get a
noticeable lag compared to the direct connection.

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem?

Rick C.
gnuarm.deletethisbit@gmail.com wrote in

> My wifi connection seems to be working worse than usual. I can > connect directly to the WISP modem and get a good connection. > Connecting to the router by cable seems to get a good connection. By > "good" I mean the ping times to 8.8.8.8 are consistently in the 20's > or 30's of ms. When on the wifi connection lately the ping times are > up to 500 ms and beyond 20 to 30% of the tests. > > I would suspect a problem with interference, but this is not a > location with much around. The nearest neighbor is next door ~100 > feet but no one is there (weekend home) and they don't have a router. > They use their cell phones for Internet access. The next closest > neighbor is 300 to 400 feet away and has a typical router like I do. > Everyone else is over 500 feet away and I can only see their wifi show > up sporadically at levels of 1 or 2 bars if any. > > My router is an old WRT54GL which has worked fine for some time. My > PC is only 8 feet away so the signal strength is full scale. The > laptop is a Dell Precision M6800 which seems to work ok at other > locations. > > A speed test only shows slightly slower speeds, but on interactive web > sites I get a noticeable lag compared to the direct connection. > > Any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem? > > Rick C. >
Are you running Linux on your WRT54G? It signifigantly improves performance of those units. You should runn DD-WRT on it. It is downloadable and free.
On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 20:11:36 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com  wrote:
> My wifi connection seems to be working worse than usual. I can connect directly
to the WISP modem and get a good connection. Connecting to the router by cable seems to get a good connection. By "good" I mean the ping times to 8.8.8.8 are consistently in the 20's or 30's of ms. When on the wifi connection lately the ping times are up to 500 ms and beyond 20 to 30% of the tests.
> > I would suspect a problem with interference, but this is not a location with much
around. The nearest neighbor is next door ~100 feet but no one is there (weekend home) and they don't have a router. They use their cell phones for Internet access. The next closest neighbor is 300 to 400 feet away and has a typical router like I do. Everyone else is over 500 feet away and I can only see their wifi show up sporadically at levels of 1 or 2 bars if any.
> > My router is an old WRT54GL which has worked fine for some time. My PC is only 8
feet away so the signal strength is full scale. The laptop is a Dell Precision M6800 which seems to work ok at other locations.
> > A speed test only shows slightly slower speeds, but on interactive web sites I get
a noticeable lag compared to the direct connection.
> > Any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem? >
Are you sure there is no interference? Maybe a wireless security camera or other non-WiFi device in the same band? Heavy Bluetooth activity? Over the years I have seen several WiFi devices start to misbehave, but never identified the exact cause. Guesses include drift in crystal oscillator frequencies and wear-out of RF power transistors. Sometimes failing power supplies cause odd problems. Have you tried switching to a different channel? John
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 5:05:32 PM UTC-4, jrwal...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 July 2018 20:11:36 UTC+1, gnuarm.del...@gmail.com wrote: > > My wifi connection seems to be working worse than usual. I can connect directly
to the WISP modem and get a good connection. Connecting to the router by cable seems to get a good connection. By "good" I mean the ping times to 8.8.8.8 are consistently in the 20's or 30's of ms. When on the wifi connection lately the ping times are up to 500 ms and beyond 20 to 30% of the tests.
much around. The nearest neighbor is next door ~100 feet but no one is there (weekend home) and they don't have a router. They use their cell phones for Internet access. The next closest neighbor is 300 to 400 feet away and has a typical router like I do. Everyone else is over 500 feet away and I can only see their wifi show up sporadically at levels of 1 or 2 bars if any.
8 feet away so the signal strength is full scale. The laptop is a Dell Precision M6800 which seems to work ok at other locations.
get a noticeable lag compared to the direct connection.
Yes, switching between ch 11 and ch 1 had no effect. Unlikely to be Bluetooth interference. There is nothing in the house on Bluetooth other than my cell which is not currently connected to a bluetooth device (as usual) and the laptop which is also not connected to any bluetooth devices. As I've indicated in my original post there are no homes nearer to mine that could potentially interfere. The one next door is unoccupied with no Internet connection. The other nearest one is 300 to 400 feet away, so highly unlikely to be interfering. Given the proximity of the access point and the laptop it is hard to imagine any interference. Rick C.
On Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:05:27 -0700 (PDT), jrwalliker@gmail.com wrote:

>Are you sure there is no interference? Maybe a wireless security >camera or other non-WiFi device in the same band? Heavy Bluetooth >activity?
That would also be my best guess(tm). Long ping times mean that there is packet loss and retransmissions. We've been here before. Got a spectrum analyzer that will see non-Wi-Fi RF sources? It's difficult to see anything but it's better than guessing. There are some fairly cheap USB spectrum analyzers available. Ask around and see if anyone is willing to do a site survey. Your ISP would be a good start. Old list of possible sources of Wi-Fi interference: <http://wireless.navas.us/index.php?title=Wi-Fi#Interference> Some more that I should probably add" - 2.4GHz radio control - Wireless security camera and video - Media player (Roku, Apple, WD, etc). - Hi-fi and TV internet backhaul via wi-fi. - Illegal power amplifiers The very first think I would do is replace your WRT54GL with something different and hopefully better and see if it makes a difference. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
onsdag den 11. juli 2018 kl. 21.11.36 UTC+2 skrev gnuarm.del...@gmail.com:
> My wifi connection seems to be working worse than usual. I can connect directly
to the WISP modem and get a good connection. Connecting to the router by cable seems to get a good connection. By "good" I mean the ping times to 8.8.8.8 are consistently in the 20's or 30's of ms. When on the wifi connection lately the ping times are up to 500 ms and beyond 20 to 30% of the tests.
> > I would suspect a problem with interference, but this is not a location with much
around. The nearest neighbor is next door ~100 feet but no one is there (weekend home) and they don't have a router. They use their cell phones for Internet access. The next closest neighbor is 300 to 400 feet away and has a typical router like I do. Everyone else is over 500 feet away and I can only see their wifi show up sporadically at levels of 1 or 2 bars if any.
> > My router is an old WRT54GL which has worked fine for some time. My PC is only 8
feet away so the signal strength is full scale. The laptop is a Dell Precision M6800 which seems to work ok at other locations.
> > A speed test only shows slightly slower speeds, but on interactive web sites I get
a noticeable lag compared to the direct connection.
> > Any suggestions on how to diagnose this problem? > > Rick C.
maybe the WRT54GL supply is getting old a noisy? (dried out caps etc.) buy a new wifi, return it if it doesn't help
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 7:12:23 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> onsdag den 11. juli 2018 kl. 21.11.36 UTC+2 skrev gnuarm.del...@gmail.com: > > My wifi connection seems to be working worse than usual. I can connect directly
to the WISP modem and get a good connection. Connecting to the router by cable seems to get a good connection. By "good" I mean the ping times to 8.8.8.8 are consistently in the 20's or 30's of ms. When on the wifi connection lately the ping times are up to 500 ms and beyond 20 to 30% of the tests.
much around. The nearest neighbor is next door ~100 feet but no one is there (weekend home) and they don't have a router. They use their cell phones for Internet access. The next closest neighbor is 300 to 400 feet away and has a typical router like I do. Everyone else is over 500 feet away and I can only see their wifi show up sporadically at levels of 1 or 2 bars if any.
8 feet away so the signal strength is full scale. The laptop is a Dell Precision M6800 which seems to work ok at other locations.
get a noticeable lag compared to the direct connection.
OK, if you and Jeff both say I should try another router, I guess I should. Any suggestions as to model? I bought the WRT54GL not too long ago as a refurb because it had a lot of good reviews. I believe this unit is long out of production but is popular with the hackers. Once I get a new unit I'll try opening it up to see if I the PSU is working ok. Rick C.
torsdag den 12. juli 2018 kl. 01.16.47 UTC+2 skrev gnuarm.del...@gmail.com:
> On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 7:12:23 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen
wrote:
> > onsdag den 11. juli 2018 kl. 21.11.36 UTC+2 skrev gnuarm.del...@gmail.com: > > > My wifi connection seems to be working worse than usual. I can connect
directly to the WISP modem and get a good connection. Connecting to the router by cable seems to get a good connection. By "good" I mean the ping times to 8.8.8.8 are consistently in the 20's or 30's of ms. When on the wifi connection lately the ping times are up to 500 ms and beyond 20 to 30% of the tests.
much around. The nearest neighbor is next door ~100 feet but no one is there (weekend home) and they don't have a router. They use their cell phones for Internet access. The next closest neighbor is 300 to 400 feet away and has a typical router like I do. Everyone else is over 500 feet away and I can only see their wifi show up sporadically at levels of 1 or 2 bars if any.
only 8 feet away so the signal strength is full scale. The laptop is a Dell Precision M6800 which seems to work ok at other locations.
get a noticeable lag compared to the direct connection.
> > I bought the WRT54GL not too long ago as a refurb because it had a lot of good
reviews. I believe this unit is long out of production but is popular with the hackers. Once I get a new unit I'll try opening it up to see if I the PSU is working ok.

I had one, one day it just stopped working, nothing inside looked bad is it really worth buying something like that refurb?, it is something like $30-$40 brand new
On 7/11/2018 4:12 PM, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> onsdag den 11. juli 2018 kl. 21.11.36 UTC+2 skrev gnuarm.del...@gmail.com: >> My wifi connection seems to be working worse than usual. I can connect directly
to the WISP modem and get a good connection. Connecting to the router by cable seems to get a good connection. By "good" I mean the ping times to 8.8.8.8 are consistently in the 20's or 30's of ms. When on the wifi connection lately the ping times are up to 500 ms and beyond 20 to 30% of the tests.
around. The nearest neighbor is next door ~100 feet but no one is there (weekend home) and they don't have a router. They use their cell phones for Internet access. The next closest neighbor is 300 to 400 feet away and has a typical router like I do. Everyone else is over 500 feet away and I can only see their wifi show up sporadically at levels of 1 or 2 bars if any.
feet away so the signal strength is full scale. The laptop is a Dell Precision M6800 which seems to work ok at other locations.
get a noticeable lag compared to the direct connection.
First thing I'd do is take my router 400 feet next door and see if the wifi connection works there. Lots of stuff interferes with wifi. Bought any new stuff lately? I had interference from an old wireless phone. Switching to DECT 6 fixed it.
On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 7:37:46 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen wrote:
> torsdag den 12. juli 2018 kl. 01.16.47 UTC+2 skrev gnuarm.del...@gmail.com: > > On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 7:12:23 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen
wrote:
> > > onsdag den 11. juli 2018 kl. 21.11.36 UTC+2 skrev gnuarm.del...@gmail.com: > > > > My wifi connection seems to be working worse than usual. I can connect
directly to the WISP modem and get a good connection. Connecting to the router by cable seems to get a good connection. By "good" I mean the ping times to 8.8.8.8 are consistently in the 20's or 30's of ms. When on the wifi connection lately the ping times are up to 500 ms and beyond 20 to 30% of the tests.
much around. The nearest neighbor is next door ~100 feet but no one is there (weekend home) and they don't have a router. They use their cell phones for Internet access. The next closest neighbor is 300 to 400 feet away and has a typical router like I do. Everyone else is over 500 feet away and I can only see their wifi show up sporadically at levels of 1 or 2 bars if any.
only 8 feet away so the signal strength is full scale. The laptop is a Dell Precision M6800 which seems to work ok at other locations.
I get a noticeable lag compared to the direct connection.
reviews. I believe this unit is long out of production but is popular with the hackers. Once I get a new unit I'll try opening it up to see if I the PSU is working ok.
$30-$40 brand new At the time I didn't know if I needed one or not. I was experimenting as I would be doing now. At least at this point I have some evidence to indicate the router is at least the point of the problem even if it is external interference. I'm also some 30 miles from anywhere I can get one. It will have to wait until the weekend unless someone recommends a unit that is better than the rest and I mail order it. Jeff had recommended a refurb unit a few months ago and I would have bought one, but the sale ended and I didn't think I needed one at the time. Rick C.