Forums

PCB stuffer aid

Started by mpm May 2, 2018
Years ago...

I worked at a place that stuffed its own through-hole boards.
There was a machine at each workstation with a red laser pointer.
The pointer would show the location for the next part to be inserted.
I think it also lit an LED on the associated parts bin, but I'm not sure.

What is this machine called, and do they still make them?

Or better yet, what might be involved to replicate one?
We have a few dozen boards we hand-assemble.
Potentially, a machine like this could save us some time.
It could be "upgraded" to bring it into the 21st century (i.e., instead of LED's on a parts bin, a monitor could display the whole Digikey parts label, etc.. or equiv.)

I'd Google it, if I knew the machine name or manufacturer.
I got the impression (back then) this was pretty standard stuff for production manufacturing.

On 05/02/2018 09:58 PM, mpm wrote:
> Years ago... > > I worked at a place that stuffed its own through-hole boards. > There was a machine at each workstation with a red laser pointer. > The pointer would show the location for the next part to be inserted. > I think it also lit an LED on the associated parts bin, but I'm not sure. > > What is this machine called, and do they still make them? > > Or better yet, what might be involved to replicate one? > We have a few dozen boards we hand-assemble. > Potentially, a machine like this could save us some time. > It could be "upgraded" to bring it into the 21st century (i.e., instead of LED's on a parts bin, a monitor could display the whole Digikey parts label, etc.. or equiv.) > > I'd Google it, if I knew the machine name or manufacturer. > I got the impression (back then) this was pretty standard stuff for production manufacturing. > >
You could've stuffed a few dozen boards, already!
On 03-May-18 9:58 AM, mpm wrote:
> Years ago... > > I worked at a place that stuffed its own through-hole boards. > There was a machine at each workstation with a red laser pointer. > The pointer would show the location for the next part to be inserted. > I think it also lit an LED on the associated parts bin, but I'm not sure. > > What is this machine called, and do they still make them? > > Or better yet, what might be involved to replicate one? > We have a few dozen boards we hand-assemble. > Potentially, a machine like this could save us some time. > It could be "upgraded" to bring it into the 21st century (i.e., instead of LED's on a parts bin, a monitor could display the whole Digikey parts label, etc.. or equiv.) > > I'd Google it, if I knew the machine name or manufacturer. > I got the impression (back then) this was pretty standard stuff for production manufacturing. > >
There is a free program someone has written that is similar. you feed it your BOM and a photo of your PCB. It steps through ticking off each part as it is fitted. I cannot remember the details, it was discussed on the EEVBlog forum. Maybe search or ask on the forum. It was quite good for what it was.
Not what you're looking for, but we still do some through hole. We've got a couple of gizmos that hold ~6 pcbs at once, you stuff 'em flip 'em over and solder 'em. Model WY20 https://www.dropbox.com/s/jc56fh5cn0txmyi/Eraser1.JPG?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/cu6nkouqseqefrr/Eraser2.JPG?dl=0 I couldn't find them on the web. George H.
May be is it the one we wrote, SMTassistant ? Here it is : http://alciom.com/en/downloads/free-downloads.html Friendly yours, Robert