Test Equipment.... The missing link

Started by Harry D April 19, 2018
Having spent over 50 years in electronic labs, designing and testing, I find
myself trying to test zener diodes, FETs, LEDs, transistors and many other
semiconductor devices. I end up kluging parts to generate a current source
with enough voltage compliance to suit my needs. After searching Amazon,
eBay and most test equipment vendors, I find a lot of units but none that
fit my needs. So I decided to design, build an manufacture my own unit, call
the "Semi Analyzer". It will not be available for a few more months at
Amazon and eBay. This unit's use would be obvious to most on this newsgroup.
My biggest problem is to get customer recognition. Amazon can have 20 pages
of electronic test equipment products, it is hard to percolate up the pile
and be recognized. A few reviews will go a long way. I am thinking of giving
out free samples to helpful members of this group, in lieu of feedback to
bush my product into everyday use.
As you can see, I am a newbie in sales, just a lab rat. Any suggestion on
selling my product?

Cheers, Harry Dellamano

Perhaps you should do some market research before taking the plunge. There are quite a few products being sold on eBay based on the MK-328 or "AVR Transistor Tester" project: <https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mk328> <https://www.google.com/search?q=mk+328> Manual: <https://elecfreaks.com/estore/download/EF06128-LCR-1602tester.pdf> I believe that this is the original project site: <https://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/AVR_Transistortester> It will test all the devices that you mention. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 3:12:28 PM UTC-4, Harry D wrote:
> Having spent over 50 years in electronic labs, designing and testing, I find > myself trying to test zener diodes, FETs, LEDs, transistors and many other > semiconductor devices. I end up kluging parts to generate a current source > with enough voltage compliance to suit my needs. After searching Amazon, > eBay and most test equipment vendors, I find a lot of units but none that > fit my needs. So I decided to design, build an manufacture my own unit, call > the "Semi Analyzer". It will not be available for a few more months at > Amazon and eBay. This unit's use would be obvious to most on this newsgroup. > My biggest problem is to get customer recognition. Amazon can have 20 pages > of electronic test equipment products, it is hard to percolate up the pile > and be recognized. A few reviews will go a long way. I am thinking of giving > out free samples to helpful members of this group, in lieu of feedback to > bush my product into everyday use. > As you can see, I am a newbie in sales, just a lab rat. Any suggestion on > selling my product? > > Cheers, Harry Dellamano
Maybe send one to Dave Jones of the eevblog.. he gets stuff and might review it. (It might be good to contact him first.) Are there other electronics/techie blogs? George H.
Lots, but the best is "The Signal Path", for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9u-QTDAeaM Also good is Jack Ganssle: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC067MO4ZVsbA8QDJG0qCTJQ
Video of the $7 version from ebay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Br3L1B80ow Hard to compete with that. A curve tracer function would be a nice addition though. It made me wonder, doesn't anyone make a ZIF socket with fewer than 14 pins?

Perhaps you should do some market research before taking the plunge. There are quite a few products being sold on eBay based on the MK-328 or "AVR Transistor Tester" project: <https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=mk328> <https://www.google.com/search?q=mk+328> Manual: <https://elecfreaks.com/estore/download/EF06128-LCR-1602tester.pdf> I believe that this is the original project site: <https://www.mikrocontroller.net/articles/AVR_Transistortester> It will test all the devices that you mention. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558 Hi Jeff, thanks for your help. You are a candidate for a free unit. My tester sources +/- 1.00 m Amp +/-1%. with a voltage compliance of 24 Vdc. It will test zener diodes and LED strings to 24 V. MOSFETs can be tested for +/-Vgs gate leakage, parasitic diode forward drop and Ron to 10m R and 1% accuracy. Transistor Vbe matching to 0.10 m V. Beta measurement with external DVM. Given the large 24 volt compliance, it has many lab uses, such as ESD protection diodes in IC's. Thanks again, you are a huge help to this community. HarryD.

Video of the $7 version from ebay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Br3L1B80ow Hard to compete with that. A curve tracer function would be a nice addition though. It made me wonder, doesn't anyone make a ZIF socket with fewer than 14 pins? Hi Tom, Agreed, but I would not have one of those testers in my lab. As far as LCR, there are so many testers that can do a better job. All except ESR to 1.00 m Ohm. That may be my next unit. When a MOSFET is blown, I run for my Semi-Analyzer and measure four FET parameters to 1 %. I have never encountered a bad FET passing this test. Another good use is deciding which diode dropped on the floor. A quick test comparing their forward voltage (to 1.0 m volt) will easily cull the devices. Thanks for your interest, Harry D
On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 1:15:44 PM UTC-7, George Herold wrote:
> On Thursday, April 19, 2018 at 3:12:28 PM UTC-4, Harry D wrote:
> > . I end up kluging parts to generate a current source > > with enough voltage compliance....This unit's use would be obvious to most on this newsgroup.
> Maybe send one to Dave Jones of the eevblog.. he gets stuff and might > review it.
One variant is a plug-in wall wart transformer and a resistor; the readout is an oscilloscope. I use this with a Variac, it's handy. But, that's not gonna plug in to 120VAC and do the same thing as on 240VAC downunder..
On Thu, 19 Apr 2018 14:57:33 -0700, "Harry D" <harryd@tdsystems.org>
wrote:

>Hi Jeff, thanks for your help. You are a candidate for a free unit.
Oh-oh. No good deed goes unpunished. For reasons known only to the perpetrators, I sometimes get unsolicited prototypes and software in the mail. I can't resist the temptation to play with the stuff. Of course, I find things that don't quite work, bugs, things I think can be improved, and add my contribution to feature bloat. Despite my protests, I usually get involved in the project and burn huge amounts of time for minimal gain. Ok, I'm a masochist. So, do I thank you for your gracious offer? Do I warn you that getting me involved in your project is much like inviting your mother in law to move in? Do I run away screaming that I never want to see another prototype again? Indecision, the key to flexibility.
>My tester sources +/- 1.00 m Amp +/-1%. with a voltage compliance of 24 Vdc.
There's gray area between a tester and a measuring instrument. Testers usually are limited to simply providing a good/bad indication if the device is functional and makes no attempt to produce any numbers. A measuring instrument produces numbers that can be used to characterize performance. I suggest you decide which type of product you are selling and to what audience.
>It will test zener diodes and LED strings to 24 V. MOSFETs can be tested for >+/-Vgs gate leakage, parasitic diode forward drop and Ron to 10m R and 1% >accuracy. Transistor Vbe matching to 0.10 m V. Beta measurement with >external DVM. Given the large 24 volt compliance, it has many lab uses, such >as ESD protection diodes in IC's.
You just answered my previous question. For a lab, you want a measuring instrument. I have several MK-328 style component testers. It's quite adequate for my use, which is testing random components found in my junk pile, salvaged from old PCB's, and found a flea markets and garage sales. For example, I carry one in my pocket when I go to situations where I'll need to do a quick good/bad test. Ball park numbers are fine for such a tester. However, there are a few features that I wouldn't mind seeing added. 1. An IR (infrared) emitter and detector for testing TV remote controls. 2. A TDR (time domain reflectometer). If it can display something useful on the OLED display, even better. 3. A better ESR meter that will measure resistances below 1 ohm. I'm not trying to get better electrolytic capacitor results, but rather measure things that tend to have resistances below 1 ohm, such as current shunts, wire cable, battery ESR, carbon brushes, reed relay contact resistance, etc. On the marketing front, most engineers think that they can design a product and immediately sell it on eBay. That doesn't work very well because you cannot easily determine your target audience, have no way to protect your product from clone makers, are likely to infringe on someone elses patent, probably haven't given much thought to pricing, don't have a business plan, and probably have limited financing. I can't offer a checklist of things to do to market your product. Maybe start with some light reading. This looks like a good start: <https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/297899>
Y'er welcome and good luck. (Sorry if this is a bit incoherent. I got interrupted about 5 times while writing it). -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On 20/04/18 05:12, Harry D wrote:
> Having spent over 50 years in electronic labs, designing and testing, I > find myself trying to test zener diodes, FETs, LEDs, transistors and > many other semiconductor devices. I end up kluging parts to generate a > current source with enough voltage compliance to suit my needs. After > searching Amazon, eBay and most test equipment vendors, I find a lot of > units but none that fit my needs. So I decided to design, build an > manufacture my own unit, call the "Semi Analyzer". It will not be > available for a few more months at Amazon and eBay. This unit's use > would be obvious to most on this newsgroup. > My biggest problem is to get customer recognition. Amazon can have 20 > pages of electronic test equipment products, it is hard to percolate up > the pile and be recognized. A few reviews will go a long way. I am > thinking of giving out free samples to helpful members of this group, in > lieu of feedback to bush my product into everyday use. > As you can see, I am a newbie in sales, just a lab rat. Any suggestion > on selling my product? > > Cheers, Harry Dellamano
I love my Atlas DCA55 for that kind of thing. Have you used one? Sure it could always have more features (like an SMD probe), but it does a nice job of what it does. Clifford Heath.