Dot allowed as characters allowed in netlist?

Started by Joerg March 11, 2018
Sorry for the occasional non-political post ...

In the past I have seen special character issues with netlists across
foreign country boundaries. For example, in some countries they use a
comma as the decimal "point" and NXP also has those dreaded "...,215" in
some part numbers. That can blow a netlist out of the water.

How about a real decimal point (a dot) inside a footprint?

Main reason I ask is for mounting hole designators. A client wants all
this in metric dimensions and that will require fractions of a
millimeter. For clarity I'd like to list that as "4.5MM_DRILL" footprint
or similar. If dots are not allowed I could only use 4500UM_DRILL" or
such and that's less understandable.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 09:37:59 -0700, Joerg <news@analogconsultants.com>
wrote:

>Sorry for the occasional non-political post ... > >In the past I have seen special character issues with netlists across >foreign country boundaries. For example, in some countries they use a >comma as the decimal "point" and NXP also has those dreaded "...,215" in >some part numbers. That can blow a netlist out of the water. > >How about a real decimal point (a dot) inside a footprint? > >Main reason I ask is for mounting hole designators. A client wants all >this in metric dimensions and that will require fractions of a >millimeter. For clarity I'd like to list that as "4.5MM_DRILL" footprint >or similar. If dots are not allowed I could only use 4500UM_DRILL" or >such and that's less understandable.
We delete extra characters in our parts database. TO247, not TO-247. But decimal points are necesssary. We haven't seen any problems with that, but we rarely send BOMs outside the company. You could adapt the dreaded 4K7 convention: 4MM5drill. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
John Larkin wrote...
> > You could adapt the dreaded 4K7 convention: 4MM5drill.
It helps to allow lower case, 4mm5 -- Thanks, - Win
wrote:

>Sorry for the occasional non-political post ... > >In the past I have seen special character issues with netlists across >foreign country boundaries. For example, in some countries they use a >comma as the decimal "point" and NXP also has those dreaded "...,215" in >some part numbers. That can blow a netlist out of the water. > >How about a real decimal point (a dot) inside a footprint? > >Main reason I ask is for mounting hole designators. A client wants all >this in metric dimensions and that will require fractions of a >millimeter. For clarity I'd like to list that as "4.5MM_DRILL" footprint >or similar. If dots are not allowed I could only use 4500UM_DRILL" or >such and that's less understandable.
You should elaborate... the netlist to which you refer is a PCB netlist, NOT a simulation netlist. However, in simulation netlists one should avoid non-alphanumeric characters, except that "underscore" is usually allowed. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 11:32:17 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

[snip]
> >However, in simulation netlists one should avoid non-alphanumeric >characters, except that "underscore" is usually allowed. > > ...Jim Thompson
Above is for model names. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.
>"John Larkin" wrote in message >news:pjnaadpnmpenvpsj4k5shiqrubus9njn8d@4ax.com...
>You could adapt the dreaded 4K7 convention: 4MM5drill.
Its not dreaded. It's a great way to notate numbers. -- Kevin Aylward http://www.anasoft.co.uk - SuperSpice http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/index.html
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 19:30:55 -0000, "Kevin Aylward"
<kevinRemovAT@kevinaylward.co.uk> wrote:

>>"John Larkin" wrote in message >>news:pjnaadpnmpenvpsj4k5shiqrubus9njn8d@4ax.com... > > >>You could adapt the dreaded 4K7 convention: 4MM5drill. > > >Its not dreaded. It's a great way to notate numbers. > > >-- Kevin Aylward >http://www.anasoft.co.uk - SuperSpice >http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/index.html
The original justification was that decimal points were somehow fragile and got lost on drawings, so the wrong parts values got installed. It was nonsense of course. I just frosted a Guinness Cake, which involved using 1cup25 of powdered sugar. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
Who actually has problems parsing strings anymore?

Don't write your PCB tools in God damned PHP.

On a related rant:

Stop naming fucking files in ALL_CAPS_WITH_UNDERSCORES.  We have long file
names, case and spaces now.  Like, for two or three decades.

We can write appealing, pronouncable file names now.  Like "Power Supply Rev
1".

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC

"Joerg" <news@analogconsultants.com> wrote in message
> Sorry for the occasional non-political post ... > > In the past I have seen special character issues with netlists across > foreign country boundaries. For example, in some countries they use a > comma as the decimal "point" and NXP also has those dreaded "...,215" in > some part numbers. That can blow a netlist out of the water. > > How about a real decimal point (a dot) inside a footprint? > > Main reason I ask is for mounting hole designators. A client wants all > this in metric dimensions and that will require fractions of a millimeter. > For clarity I'd like to list that as "4.5MM_DRILL" footprint or similar. > If dots are not allowed I could only use 4500UM_DRILL" or such and that's > less understandable. > > -- > Regards, Joerg > > http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On Sun, 11 Mar 2018 16:31:33 -0500, "Tim Williams"
<tiwill@seventransistorlabs.com> wrote:

>Who actually has problems parsing strings anymore? > >Don't write your PCB tools in God damned PHP. > >On a related rant: > >Stop naming fucking files in ALL_CAPS_WITH_UNDERSCORES. We have long file >names, case and spaces now. Like, for two or three decades.
Some things don't work right if file names have embedded spaces. And embedded spaces get messy if you want to paste a file name into a document. New Text Document.txt New Text Document.txt New Text Document .txt sure look close in a proportional font.
> >We can write appealing, pronouncable file names now. Like "Power Supply Rev >1".
Sure, as long as you only ever design one power supply. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
wrote:

>Sorry for the occasional non-political post ... > >In the past I have seen special character issues with netlists across >foreign country boundaries. For example, in some countries they use a >comma as the decimal "point" and NXP also has those dreaded "...,215" in >some part numbers. That can blow a netlist out of the water. > >How about a real decimal point (a dot) inside a footprint? > >Main reason I ask is for mounting hole designators. A client wants all >this in metric dimensions and that will require fractions of a >millimeter. For clarity I'd like to list that as "4.5MM_DRILL" footprint >or similar. If dots are not allowed I could only use 4500UM_DRILL" or >such and that's less understandable.
How about 4m5_Drill or perhaps 4mm5_Drill?