Full color spectrum LEDs

Started by January 6, 2018
A local public park had an extensive Christmas display including
computerized lights that move to music.

Some displays had some large (about 1/2" dia) LEDs that are full color
spectrum.

Unlike the solar yard lights that have red - green - blue LEDS in one
and do a poor job of blending the colors into yellow - orange - purple.
These have every color as well being able to fade the brightness levels.

Apparently these are not any of the cheap holiday lights they sell in
the stores. I'm sure they are costly and sold for commercial use.

However, where are they sold? Is there a certain name for them? How do
they work, (meaning there must be more than 3 LEDs in one body and
blending colors)?

Den søndag den 7. januar 2018 kl. 01.08.00 UTC+1 skrev olds...@tubes.com:
> A local public park had an extensive Christmas display including > computerized lights that move to music. > > Some displays had some large (about 1/2" dia) LEDs that are full color > spectrum. > > Unlike the solar yard lights that have red - green - blue LEDS in one > and do a poor job of blending the colors into yellow - orange - purple. > These have every color as well being able to fade the brightness levels. > > Apparently these are not any of the cheap holiday lights they sell in > the stores. I'm sure they are costly and sold for commercial use. > > However, where are they sold? Is there a certain name for them? How do > they work, (meaning there must be more than 3 LEDs in one body and > blending colors)?
https://youtu.be/2Z4ZzfL5ahY
On Sat, 6 Jan 2018 16:19:48 -0800 (PST), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
<langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:

>Den s&#2013266168;ndag den 7. januar 2018 kl. 01.08.00 UTC+1 skrev
olds...@tubes.com:
>> A local public park had an extensive Christmas display including >> computerized lights that move to music. >> >> Some displays had some large (about 1/2" dia) LEDs that are full color >> spectrum. >> >> Unlike the solar yard lights that have red - green - blue LEDS in one >> and do a poor job of blending the colors into yellow - orange - purple. >> These have every color as well being able to fade the brightness levels. >> >> Apparently these are not any of the cheap holiday lights they sell in >> the stores. I'm sure they are costly and sold for commercial use. >> >> However, where are they sold? Is there a certain name for them? How do >> they work, (meaning there must be more than 3 LEDs in one body and >> blending colors)? > >https://youtu.be/2Z4ZzfL5ahY
Thanks for the link, but it would be much better to get a text and pictures webpage. I can not watch videos on my dialup service.
the green on RGB leds are too blue to make yellow so you can get an red-green-blue-yellow LED http://www.szledcolor.com/download/SK6812%20RGBY%20LED.pdf
On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 18:06:28 -0600, oldschool@tubes.com wrote:

>However, where are they sold?
The usual places. Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, etc. Google for for "LED grow lights". Some garden supply stores carry them.
Full spectrum LED lights are also known as "LED grow lights". They are favored by indoor marijuana growers: <https://www.google.com/search?q=led+grow+lights> <http://www.growweedeasy.com/led-grow-lights>
They're a mix of different color LED's. <https://www.spectrumkingled.com/full-spectrum-led-grow-lights/> <https://www.google.com/search?q=led+grow+lights&tbm=isch> If you're growing indoors, you'll need a VPD (vapor pressure deficit) chart: <https://www.spectrumkingled.com/what-is-vpd-chart/> <https://www.google.com/search?q=vpd+chart&tbm=isch> -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On Mon, 08 Jan 2018 09:14:18 -0800, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 18:06:28 -0600, oldschool@tubes.com wrote: > >>However, where are they sold? > >The usual places. Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, etc. Google for for "LED >grow lights". Some garden supply stores carry them. > >>Is there a certain name for them? > >Full spectrum LED lights are also known as "LED grow lights". They >are favored by indoor marijuana growers: ><https://www.google.com/search?q=led+grow+lights> ><http://www.growweedeasy.com/led-grow-lights> > >>How do >>they work, (meaning there must be more than 3 LEDs in one body and >>blending colors)? > >They're a mix of different color LED's. ><https://www.spectrumkingled.com/full-spectrum-led-grow-lights/> ><https://www.google.com/search?q=led+grow+lights&tbm=isch> > >If you're growing indoors, you'll need a VPD (vapor pressure deficit) >chart: ><https://www.spectrumkingled.com/what-is-vpd-chart/> ><https://www.google.com/search?q=vpd+chart&tbm=isch>
Interesting reading. Seems like marijuana growing sure has gone hi-tech. Whatever happened to just letting nature grow some seeds out in a field? But I know that the kids these days are all smoking that genetically modified stuff that smells like a dead skunk. I'm glad I dont use that crap. My brief use of pot in the early 70s was the real, natural stuff grown in a field under sunlight, and when smoked it had a sweet pleasant odor.By the mid 70's I quit all that stuff, and am glad I did. Anyhow, those are full spectrum, but not what I want. What I want are strings of lights, like Christmas lights, with a control to change colors, brightness, and so on. I am not sure how much controls are available on the light strings, or if all the control is done by computers. I remember reading some years ago, where they use special software on a PC to program the lights, and the computer then controls modules that make the lights change to music. Thats what this holiday display was doing in the park I visited, and they did an awesome job of it.

<https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=rgb%20led%20remote&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_BIN=1&_trksid=p2045573.m1684> I have a few of these. They're fun to play with, but not very useful. Extra points if you can figure out how the IR remote control works when there's a rather bright collection of LED's next to the sensor.
That's for Christmas light shows: <https://www.google.com/search?q=christmas+light+show&tbm=isch> <https://www.google.com/search?q=christmas+light+show&tbm=vid> Have your financial advisor and loan agent available when shopping. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On 08/01/2018 17:14, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 18:06:28 -0600, oldschool@tubes.com wrote: > >> However, where are they sold? > > The usual places. Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, etc. Google for for "LED > grow lights". Some garden supply stores carry them. > >> Is there a certain name for them? > > Full spectrum LED lights are also known as "LED grow lights". They > are favored by indoor marijuana growers: > <https://www.google.com/search?q=led+grow+lights> > <http://www.growweedeasy.com/led-grow-lights>
Increasingly grow lights omit green LEDs almost entirely since there is no point in wasting energy producing green light that will be reflected by the green chlorophyll pigment in the leaf. The latest high efficiency grow lights are a hideous shade of magenta come shocking pink. -- Regards, Martin Brown
On Tue, 9 Jan 2018 08:34:07 +0000, Martin Brown
<'''newspam'''@nezumi.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 08/01/2018 17:14, Jeff Liebermann wrote: >> On Sat, 06 Jan 2018 18:06:28 -0600, oldschool@tubes.com wrote: >> >>> However, where are they sold? >> >> The usual places. Amazon, eBay, AliExpress, etc. Google for for "LED >> grow lights". Some garden supply stores carry them. >> >>> Is there a certain name for them? >> >> Full spectrum LED lights are also known as "LED grow lights". They >> are favored by indoor marijuana growers: >> <https://www.google.com/search?q=led+grow+lights> >> <http://www.growweedeasy.com/led-grow-lights> > >Increasingly grow lights omit green LEDs almost entirely since there is >no point in wasting energy producing green light that will be reflected >by the green chlorophyll pigment in the leaf. The latest high efficiency >grow lights are a hideous shade of magenta come shocking pink.
The grow lights would not work for decorative displays, because they lack green and appear to be "stuck" on that magenta color. I knew a guy who had a small greenhouse back in the 80s. He grew flowers. Back then he used 4' florescent bulbs that emit that same sort of magenta color. Aside from the color, they looked identical to any 4' florescent bulb. Apparently plants do best with that pinkish color lights.

Yep. Some general details on how it works: <https://www.earthled.com/collections/earthled-growled-series-led-grow-lights> <https://californialightworks.com/light-spectrum-and-plant-growth/> Mix blue and red and you get pink-purple. Although they have a big hole in the green area and are not even close to the same spectrum as natural sunlight, LED grow lights are still called "full spectrum LED". Once again, marketing triumphs over technical accuracy. Drivel: I still have some interest in the fashion industry, where purple and pink have become a marketable color combination. That identifies the wearer as either a gardener or drug grower, or maybe someone clueless who doesn't understand the symbolism. <https://www.google.com/search?q=pink+purple+fashion&tbm=isch> In a few years, I'm fairly certain that the pink and purple color combination will be considered generally acceptable. Today's fashions usually follow whatever yesterdays social rejects seem to favor. In the 1980's, the baggy pants favored by prison residents became fashionable. In the 1970's pastel colors favored by the gays because acceptable as the colors were integrated into every day clothes. In the 1960's, conspicuous poverty became a fashion statement. Etc. Today, it's emulating a financially successful drug grower, who presumably wears clothes to match his LED grow lights. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558