Naval Cannon Search Magnetometer/Induction Coil Circuit

Started by Unknown September 14, 2017
Hello:

I am trying to make a homemade circuit to do underwater detection
of old War 1812 US Navy ship cannons.  Magnetometers can be
bought, but they are expensive.  So, I am looking at a metal detection
type circuit.  I came across the Maxwell Bridge circuit.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_bridge

Here I would increase the ac frequency to make a coil Q of the required
number, 1 to 10.

My question is can I use the coil L3 in the bridge to scan the floor of
a river for cannon signal?  Moving the coil at a certain velocity also.
The cannon would be about 3 foot deep in the river bottom I guess. I have
a Keithley electrometer for the galvanometer.

The final coil will be 16 foot in diameter and 2 inches long and 20 turns maybe. The plane of the coil would be run parallel to the bottom surface.

Here is my blogspot on the affair.

http://douglaseagleson.blogspot.com

Any other suggestions are very welcome.
thanks doug

Also how would a low pass filter be added to the electrometer?
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 07:50:56 -0700 (PDT), millsscientific@gmail.com
wrote:

>Hello: > >I am trying to make a homemade circuit to do underwater detection >of old War 1812 US Navy ship cannons. Magnetometers can be >bought, but they are expensive. So, I am looking at a metal detection >type circuit. I came across the Maxwell Bridge circuit. > >See: >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_bridge > > >Here I would increase the ac frequency to make a coil Q of the required >number, 1 to 10. > >My question is can I use the coil L3 in the bridge to scan the floor of >a river for cannon signal? Moving the coil at a certain velocity also. >The cannon would be about 3 foot deep in the river bottom I guess. I have >a Keithley electrometer for the galvanometer. > >The final coil will be 16 foot in diameter and 2 inches long and 20 turns maybe. The plane of the coil would be run parallel to the bottom surface. > >Here is my blogspot on the affair. > >http://douglaseagleson.blogspot.com > >Any other suggestions are very welcome. >thanks doug > >Also how would a low pass filter be added to the electrometer?
Are the cannons iron or brass? Iron would distort the earth's mag field. Cheap fluxgate magnetometers (as in the $20 range) have nanotesla field sensitivity. TI now has a fluxgate IC. A coil+bridge can detect nonferrous stuff. An AC bridge, or an oscillator are the usual metal detector techniques. There are dual-coil detectors, but that wouldn't be practical for big coils. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 10:51:06 AM UTC-4, millssc...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello: > > I am trying to make a homemade circuit to do underwater detection > of old War 1812 US Navy ship cannons. Magnetometers can be > bought, but they are expensive. So, I am looking at a metal detection > type circuit. I came across the Maxwell Bridge circuit. > > See: > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_bridge > > > Here I would increase the ac frequency to make a coil Q of the required > number, 1 to 10.
Are you trying to sense the metal by having it spoil the Q, or shift the frequency? In both case I might want a higher Q.
> > My question is can I use the coil L3 in the bridge to scan the floor of > a river for cannon signal? Moving the coil at a certain velocity also. > The cannon would be about 3 foot deep in the river bottom I guess. I have > a Keithley electrometer for the galvanometer. > > The final coil will be 16 foot in diameter and 2 inches long and 20 turns maybe. The plane of the coil would be run parallel to the bottom surface. > > Here is my blogspot on the affair. > > http://douglaseagleson.blogspot.com
Hmm not all steel is magnetic, check it before you dump it in the bay. George H.
> > Any other suggestions are very welcome. > thanks doug > > Also how would a low pass filter be added to the electrometer?
Yes, I am not a engineer kind of guy. But my inclination is to hope that steel or iron would alter L the coil inductance. Does this mean technically altering Q? From what I read this type of bridge works best at a Q of one to ten. Is ramping it up to 100 allowed? I have an audio oscillator and wonder if I can just add an audio amplifier for the power source. thanks doug
On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 11:33:03 AM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 07:50:56 -0700 (PDT), millsscientific@gmail.com > wrote: > > >Hello: > > > >I am trying to make a homemade circuit to do underwater detection > >of old War 1812 US Navy ship cannons. Magnetometers can be > >bought, but they are expensive. So, I am looking at a metal detection > >type circuit. I came across the Maxwell Bridge circuit. > > > >See: > >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_bridge > > > > > >Here I would increase the ac frequency to make a coil Q of the required > >number, 1 to 10. > > > >My question is can I use the coil L3 in the bridge to scan the floor of > >a river for cannon signal? Moving the coil at a certain velocity also. > >The cannon would be about 3 foot deep in the river bottom I guess. I have > >a Keithley electrometer for the galvanometer. > > > >The final coil will be 16 foot in diameter and 2 inches long and 20 turns maybe. The plane of the coil would be run parallel to the bottom surface. > > > >Here is my blogspot on the affair. > > > >http://douglaseagleson.blogspot.com > > > >Any other suggestions are very welcome. > >thanks doug > > > >Also how would a low pass filter be added to the electrometer? > > > Are the cannons iron or brass? Iron would distort the earth's mag > field. > > Cheap fluxgate magnetometers (as in the $20 range) have nanotesla > field sensitivity. TI now has a fluxgate IC. > > A coil+bridge can detect nonferrous stuff. An AC bridge, or an > oscillator are the usual metal detector techniques. There are > dual-coil detectors, but that wouldn't be practical for big coils. >
I hope they are iron. I will look and likely by a TI fluxgate ic then. I am also going to make a test bridge system and see how it runs maybe. thankyou doug
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 14:07:39 -0700 (PDT), eaglesondouglas@gmail.com
wrote:

>On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 11:33:03 AM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote: >> On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 07:50:56 -0700 (PDT), millsscientific@gmail.com >> wrote: >> >> >Hello: >> > >> >I am trying to make a homemade circuit to do underwater detection >> >of old War 1812 US Navy ship cannons. Magnetometers can be >> >bought, but they are expensive. So, I am looking at a metal detection >> >type circuit. I came across the Maxwell Bridge circuit. >> > >> >See: >> >https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_bridge >> > >> > >> >Here I would increase the ac frequency to make a coil Q of the required >> >number, 1 to 10. >> > >> >My question is can I use the coil L3 in the bridge to scan the floor of >> >a river for cannon signal? Moving the coil at a certain velocity also. >> >The cannon would be about 3 foot deep in the river bottom I guess. I have >> >a Keithley electrometer for the galvanometer. >> > >> >The final coil will be 16 foot in diameter and 2 inches long and 20 turns maybe. The plane of the coil would be run parallel to the bottom surface. >> > >> >Here is my blogspot on the affair. >> > >> >http://douglaseagleson.blogspot.com >> > >> >Any other suggestions are very welcome. >> >thanks doug >> > >> >Also how would a low pass filter be added to the electrometer? >> >> >> Are the cannons iron or brass? Iron would distort the earth's mag >> field. >> >> Cheap fluxgate magnetometers (as in the $20 range) have nanotesla >> field sensitivity. TI now has a fluxgate IC. >> >> A coil+bridge can detect nonferrous stuff. An AC bridge, or an >> oscillator are the usual metal detector techniques. There are >> dual-coil detectors, but that wouldn't be practical for big coils. >> > >I hope they are iron. > >I will look and likely by a TI fluxgate ic then. > >I am also going to make a test bridge system and see how it runs maybe. > >thankyou doug
Speake, a British company, sells a fluxgate board for something like $25. Stefan Mayer Instruments has something similar. It's apparently not real hard to do. (I know all this from a failed NMR mag field compensation project.) A few fluxgates in an array could make a differential field sensor, that could sense the gradient from a big hunk of iron. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On 09/14/2017 05:07 PM, eaglesondouglas@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, September 14, 2017 at 11:33:03 AM UTC-4, John Larkin wrote: >> On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 07:50:56 -0700 (PDT), millsscientific@gmail.com >> wrote: >> >>> Hello: >>> >>> I am trying to make a homemade circuit to do underwater detection >>> of old War 1812 US Navy ship cannons. Magnetometers can be >>> bought, but they are expensive. So, I am looking at a metal detection >>> type circuit. I came across the Maxwell Bridge circuit. >>> >>> See: >>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_bridge >>> >>> >>> Here I would increase the ac frequency to make a coil Q of the required >>> number, 1 to 10. >>> >>> My question is can I use the coil L3 in the bridge to scan the floor of >>> a river for cannon signal? Moving the coil at a certain velocity also. >>> The cannon would be about 3 foot deep in the river bottom I guess. I have >>> a Keithley electrometer for the galvanometer. >>> >>> The final coil will be 16 foot in diameter and 2 inches long and 20 turns maybe. The plane of the coil would be run parallel to the bottom surface. >>> >>> Here is my blogspot on the affair. >>> >>> http://douglaseagleson.blogspot.com >>> >>> Any other suggestions are very welcome. >>> thanks doug >>> >>> Also how would a low pass filter be added to the electrometer? >> >> >> Are the cannons iron or brass? Iron would distort the earth's mag >> field. >> >> Cheap fluxgate magnetometers (as in the $20 range) have nanotesla >> field sensitivity. TI now has a fluxgate IC. >> >> A coil+bridge can detect nonferrous stuff. An AC bridge, or an >> oscillator are the usual metal detector techniques. There are >> dual-coil detectors, but that wouldn't be practical for big coils. >> > > I hope they are iron. > > I will look and likely by a TI fluxgate ic then. > > I am also going to make a test bridge system and see how it runs maybe. > > thankyou doug >
Did anybody make iron cannons in that era? AFAIK it was Alfred Krupp in the mid-19th century who figured out how to found steel cannons that didn't explode randomly. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 14:02:56 -0700 (PDT), eaglesondouglas@gmail.com
wrote:

> [...]
Mostly inductance. Iron will make it go up, brass down.
> >From what I read this type of bridge works best at a Q of one >to ten. Is ramping it up to 100 allowed?
Likely not possible at audio-type frequencies.
> >I have an audio oscillator and wonder if I can just add an audio >amplifier for the power source.
You can make an AC bridge, drive it with a good sine wave, listen to the null with amplified headphones, tweak the bridge or the frequency for a deep null. I guess you could use a resonated loop in an AC bridge, too. Might be more sensitive.
What would you do next if you found a cannon? -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On Friday, 15 September 2017 01:32:45 UTC+1, John Larkin  wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 14:02:56 -0700 (PDT), eaglesondouglas@gmail.com > wrote: > > > > >> > > >> > Here I would increase the ac frequency to make a coil Q of the required > >> > number, 1 to 10. > >> > >> Are you trying to sense the metal by having it spoil the Q, > >> or shift the frequency? In both case I might want a higher Q. > >> > > >> > >Yes, I am not a engineer kind of guy. But my inclination is to > >hope that steel or iron would alter L the coil inductance. Does > >this mean technically altering Q? > > Mostly inductance. Iron will make it go up, brass down. > > > > >From what I read this type of bridge works best at a Q of one > >to ten. Is ramping it up to 100 allowed? > > Likely not possible at audio-type frequencies. > > > > >I have an audio oscillator and wonder if I can just add an audio > >amplifier for the power source. > > You can make an AC bridge, drive it with a good sine wave, listen to > the null with amplified headphones, tweak the bridge or the frequency > for a deep null. > > I guess you could use a resonated loop in an AC bridge, too. Might be > more sensitive. > > > > >thanks doug > > What would you do next if you found a cannon?
What would you do after your 99th find of random bits of iron junk? NT

Apparently, the USS Revenge sank in 1811. The US Navy just recovered an iron cannon believed to be from the ship: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-navy-just-found-cannon-that-they-think- was-war-of-1812-ship-2017-6?op=1 The 24-pounders were used in the 1700's and made of cast iron: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/24-pounder_long_gun Here's a view of hundreds of 1819 24-pounders stockpiled at Fortress Monroe in Virginia: http://moultrie.battlefieldsinmotion.com/Artillery-24-pounder.html They were iron: "The bore-diameter for all these iron 24-pounders was established at exactly 5.82 inches, and they were to weigh roughly 5,800 pounds apiece." http://moultrie.battlefieldsinmotion.com/Artillery-24-pounder.html "The Chinese also mounted over 3,000 bronze and iron cast cannon on the Great Wall of China, to defend themselves from the Mongols." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_cannon Doesn't say when. Maybe the 1500's