Combating Zener Jitter

Started by Chris May 21, 2017
Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to best deal with the phenomenon
of jittering zeners? Preferably without adding excessive complexity to a
circuit, I mean.
1. More current.

2. Switch to an LM329. (Bandgaps are much noisier.)

3. Filtering.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
Noisy zener diodes ? Avalanche effect >7V is much noisier than Zener <7V. http://www.embeddedFORTH.de/temp/Z-noise.pdf So it may help to replace a 10V zener by two stacked 4,7V. MfG JRD
It gets even better for smaller voltages. See < https://www.flickr.com/photos/137684711@N07/24411798996/in/album-72157662535945536/ > for measurements on the NXP BZX84 - CxVy family. Gerhard
On Sun, 21 May 2017 16:30:26 +0200, Rafael Deliano wrote:

>> jittering zeners? > > Noisy zener diodes ? > Avalanche effect >7V is much noisier than Zener <7V. > http://www.embeddedFORTH.de/temp/Z-noise.pdf So it may help to replace a > 10V zener by two stacked 4,7V. > > MfG JRD
If you spot your zeners jittering, the key thing is to ACT FAST. Grab a pair of laundry tongs and place the zeners in a metal container (an old 2oz St. Julian pipe tobacco tin is ideal) then bury it at midnight on the 7th day of a waxing moon cycle. It's about the only thing that'll permanently kill 'em. Seriously, there's no such thing as "jittering zeners" AFAIK - it's an urban myth.
On Sun, 21 May 2017 15:55:13 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
<curd@notformail.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 21 May 2017 16:30:26 +0200, Rafael Deliano wrote: > >>> jittering zeners? >> >> Noisy zener diodes ? >> Avalanche effect >7V is much noisier than Zener <7V. >> http://www.embeddedFORTH.de/temp/Z-noise.pdf So it may help to replace a >> 10V zener by two stacked 4,7V. >> >> MfG JRD > >If you spot your zeners jittering, the key thing is to ACT FAST. Grab a >pair of laundry tongs and place the zeners in a metal container (an old >2oz St. Julian pipe tobacco tin is ideal) then bury it at midnight on the >7th day of a waxing moon cycle. It's about the only thing that'll >permanently kill 'em. >Seriously, there's no such thing as "jittering zeners" AFAIK - it's an >urban myth.
AKA Flicker Noise ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions. "It is not in doing what you like, but in liking what you do that is the secret of happiness." -James Barrie
Take away their coffee.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

On Sun, 21 May 2017 09:03:18 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

> AKA Flicker Noise
Yup, pink noise. No jittering/jitterbugging involved. ;)
Chris wrote:

> Has anyone got any suggestions as to how to best deal with the phenomenon > of jittering zeners? Preferably without adding excessive complexity to a > circuit, I mean.
Best solution is not to use them in noise-sensitive applications. The best I've seen, so far, is the LM4140. If there isn't a version with the voltage you need, use an AD706, the only op-amp I've found with guaranteed 1/f speced out to 1/1000 Hz. Jon
On Sun, 21 May 2017 11:29:37 -0500, "Tim Williams"
<tiwill@seventransistorlabs.com> wrote:

>Take away their coffee.
I was going to suggest Valium.