Forums

Opamps - everything

Started by Unknown January 18, 2017
Jim Thompson wrote

> Math ?? If you're only a user, you can write down all you need to > know about OpAmps in a couple of pages. > > ...Jim Thompson
I'd be very interested in that. So lets see what would need to be covered: The basic idea of what an opamp is and how closing the loop enables it to do all sorts. Understanding the specs The different types static sensitivity info on popular opamps Circuits: inv amp noninv amp integrator differentiator gyrator clippers dc restorers log class B amps, various " with crossover distortion reduction Mr Larkin's optoisolator booster assorted power supply regulators instrumentation amp endless oscillators analogue computation, various security lights precision rectifier ECG EEG biofeedback Techniques: stability dealing with offsets increasing rf gain eliminating crossover disotrtion in opamps making opamps go R2R capacitive loads positive feedback hysteresis opamp v comparator protection against the outside world agc The other 3 types, current conveyor etc discrete opamps maybe bias femtoamp measuring PSRR opamps with issues choppers load impedance precision I'm sure I've missed a ton of stuff. Anyone? NT
<tabbypurr@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Jim Thompson wrote > > >> Math ?? If you're only a user, you can write down all you need to >> know about OpAmps in a couple of pages. >> >> ...Jim Thompson > > I'd be very interested in that. So lets see what would need to be covered: > > The basic idea of what an opamp is and how closing the loop enables it to > do all sorts. > Understanding the specs > The different types > static sensitivity > info on popular opamps > > Circuits: > inv amp > noninv amp > integrator > differentiator > gyrator > clippers > dc restorers > log > class B amps, various > " with crossover distortion reduction > Mr Larkin's optoisolator booster > assorted power supply regulators > instrumentation amp > endless oscillators > analogue computation, various > security lights > precision rectifier > ECG > EEG > biofeedback > > > Techniques: > stability > dealing with offsets > increasing rf gain > eliminating crossover disotrtion in opamps > making opamps go R2R > capacitive loads > positive feedback > hysteresis > opamp v comparator > protection against the outside world > agc > The other 3 types, current conveyor etc > discrete opamps maybe > bias > femtoamp measuring > PSRR > opamps with issues > choppers > load impedance > precision > > > I'm sure I've missed a ton of stuff. Anyone? > > > NT
Cost?
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 12:37:23 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr@gmail.com wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote > > >> Math ?? If you're only a user, you can write down all you need to >> know about OpAmps in a couple of pages. >> >> ...Jim Thompson > >I'd be very interested in that. So lets see what would need to be covered: > >The basic idea of what an opamp is and how closing the loop enables it to do all sorts. >Understanding the specs >The different types >static sensitivity >info on popular opamps > >Circuits: >inv amp >noninv amp >integrator >differentiator >gyrator >clippers >dc restorers >log >class B amps, various >" with crossover distortion reduction >Mr Larkin's optoisolator booster >assorted power supply regulators >instrumentation amp >endless oscillators >analogue computation, various >security lights >precision rectifier >ECG >EEG >biofeedback > > >Techniques: >stability >dealing with offsets >increasing rf gain >eliminating crossover disotrtion in opamps >making opamps go R2R >capacitive loads >positive feedback >hysteresis >opamp v comparator >protection against the outside world >agc >The other 3 types, current conveyor etc >discrete opamps maybe >bias >femtoamp measuring >PSRR >opamps with issues >choppers >load impedance >precision > > >I'm sure I've missed a ton of stuff. Anyone? > > >NT
You're talking applications (and buzzwords ;-)... I was talking the basics of OpAmps themselves. Of course, it was probably presumptuous of me to assume that the reader is actually a circuit design engineer >:-} ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I'm looking for work... see my website. Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 13:56:39 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 12:37:23 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr@gmail.com wrote: > >>Jim Thompson wrote >> >> >>> Math ?? If you're only a user, you can write down all you need to >>> know about OpAmps in a couple of pages. >>> >>> ...Jim Thompson >> >>I'd be very interested in that. So lets see what would need to be covered: >> >>The basic idea of what an opamp is and how closing the loop enables it to do all sorts.
[snip]
>>I'm sure I've missed a ton of stuff. Anyone? >> >> >>NT > >You're talking applications (and buzzwords ;-)... I was talking the >basics of OpAmps themselves. > >Of course, it was probably presumptuous of me to assume that the >reader is actually a circuit design engineer >:-} > > ...Jim Thompson
More than that assumption... hardly six months goes by that I don't design another variation of an OpAmp to fit the needs of a specific application in a chip design... so OpAmps are a wee-bit blas&eacute; to me. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I'm looking for work... see my website. Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.
tabbypurr@gmail.com wrote...
> > Jim Thompson wrote > >> Math ?? If you're only a user, you can write down all >> you need to know about OpAmps in a couple of pages. > > I'd be very interested in that. So lets see what would > need to be covered: > > The basic idea of what an opamp is and how closing the > loop enables it to do all sorts. > > Understanding the specs > The different types > static sensitivity > info on popular opamps > > Circuits: [ snip list ] > Techniques: [ snip list ] > > I'm sure I've missed a ton of stuff. Anyone?
Very important, a practical matter that costs me tons of time: Specifications: - what opamps have what specs, tradeoffs in specs, implications of certain specs. And very useful, what's going on inside the opamp to achieve the specs. Also important: Circuit tricks to avoid degrading said specs. Yes, I think there's enough for a book. One of the useful topics in Dostal's book, how to measure opamp specs. There's 40 pages in one section, many more in other sections. -- Thanks, - Win
On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 20:56:32 UTC, tom  wrote:
> <tabbypurr> wrote in message > news:53705bcc-39be-48b8-8f2a-51eff167731f@googlegroups.com... > > Jim Thompson wrote > > > > > >> Math ?? If you're only a user, you can write down all you need to > >> know about OpAmps in a couple of pages.
> > I'm sure I've missed a ton of stuff. Anyone? > > Cost?
I daresay that would go out of date quite quickly. It also varies around the world in that in some areas many opamps are hard to get. NT
On Wednesday, 18 January 2017 20:56:51 UTC, Jim Thompson  wrote:

> Of course, it was probably presumptuous of me to assume that the > reader is actually a circuit design engineer >:-} > > ...Jim Thompson
I have in mind more something good for the beginner, and also good for them to come back to and learn more years later. Something to get them as good as possible in minimum page space. NT
There's always this old favorite from TI: https://focus.ti.com/lit/an/slod006b/slod006b.pdf
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 12:37:23 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr@gmail.com wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote > > >> Math ?? If you're only a user, you can write down all you need to >> know about OpAmps in a couple of pages. >> >> ...Jim Thompson > >I'd be very interested in that. So lets see what would need to be covered: > >The basic idea of what an opamp is and how closing the loop enables it to do all sorts. >Understanding the specs >The different types >static sensitivity >info on popular opamps > >Circuits: >inv amp >noninv amp >integrator >differentiator >gyrator >clippers >dc restorers >log >class B amps, various >" with crossover distortion reduction >Mr Larkin's optoisolator booster >assorted power supply regulators >instrumentation amp >endless oscillators >analogue computation, various >security lights >precision rectifier >ECG >EEG >biofeedback > > >Techniques: >stability >dealing with offsets >increasing rf gain >eliminating crossover disotrtion in opamps >making opamps go R2R >capacitive loads >positive feedback >hysteresis >opamp v comparator >protection against the outside world >agc >The other 3 types, current conveyor etc >discrete opamps maybe >bias >femtoamp measuring >PSRR >opamps with issues >choppers >load impedance >precision > > >I'm sure I've missed a ton of stuff. Anyone? > > >NT
Add a section: weird opamps. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On Wed, 18 Jan 2017 15:59:33 -0800, John Larkin
<jjlarkinxyxy@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

[snip]

>Add a section: weird opamps.
What OpAmps would you consider weird? Those with three stages of gain ?>:-} ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I'm looking for work... see my website. Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.