Forums

new laser?

Started by Robert Baer November 12, 2016
   My friend has made a working laser that has the following
intellectual properties:
1) the more learned the individual is regarding laser construction and
operation, the more confused and hostile they are regarding this new laser.
2) The less the individual knows about lasers, the more acceptable the
laser is.

   This laser has absolutely *NO* optics, NO mirrors, no lenses; none,
nada, period.
   In fact, there are NO optical parts.
   It is a pure electronic gadget.
   Light comes out only one end, along the axis.

   Has anyone heard of such a beast before?

On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 12:33:10 -0800, Robert Baer
<robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote:

> My friend has made a working laser that has the following >intellectual properties: >1) the more learned the individual is regarding laser construction and >operation, the more confused and hostile they are regarding this new laser. >2) The less the individual knows about lasers, the more acceptable the >laser is. > > This laser has absolutely *NO* optics, NO mirrors, no lenses; none, >nada, period. > In fact, there are NO optical parts. > It is a pure electronic gadget. > Light comes out only one end, along the axis. > > Has anyone heard of such a beast before? >
VCSELS and similar semiconductor lasers work like that. One semiconductor chip, light comes out. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics
"Robert Baer" <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in message
> My friend has made a working laser that has the following intellectual > properties: > 1) the more learned the individual is regarding laser construction and > operation, the more confused and hostile they are regarding this new > laser. > 2) The less the individual knows about lasers, the more acceptable the > laser is. > > This laser has absolutely *NO* optics, NO mirrors, no lenses; none, > nada, period. > In fact, there are NO optical parts. > It is a pure electronic gadget. > Light comes out only one end, along the axis. > > Has anyone heard of such a beast before? > >
An UV Nitrogen laser does this except it emits from both ends.
> "Robert Baer" <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in message > news:a0LVz.66925$ee2.4419@fx10.iad... >> My friend has made a working laser that has the following intellectual >> properties: >> 1) the more learned the individual is regarding laser construction and >> operation, the more confused and hostile they are regarding this new >> laser. >> 2) The less the individual knows about lasers, the more acceptable the >> laser is. >> >> This laser has absolutely *NO* optics, NO mirrors, no lenses; none, >> nada, period. >> In fact, there are NO optical parts. >> It is a pure electronic gadget. >> Light comes out only one end, along the axis. >> >> Has anyone heard of such a beast before? >> >> > > An UV Nitrogen laser does this except it emits from both ends.
Wasn't there a SciAm article (Amateur Scientist?) about that, decades ago. ISTR the beam being described as "broomstick size and shape".
On 2016-11-12, Robert Baer <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote:
> My friend has made a working laser that has the following > intellectual properties: > 1) the more learned the individual is regarding laser construction and > operation, the more confused and hostile they are regarding this new laser. > 2) The less the individual knows about lasers, the more acceptable the > laser is. > > This laser has absolutely *NO* optics, NO mirrors, no lenses; none, > nada, period. > In fact, there are NO optical parts. > It is a pure electronic gadget. > Light comes out only one end, along the axis. > > Has anyone heard of such a beast before
I heard of TEA lasers a year or so back. read about building them on instructibles and othe places on the web. -- This email has not been checked by half-arsed antivirus software
On 12.11.16 23:22, Tom Gardner wrote:
> On 12/11/16 22:17, tom wrote: >> "Robert Baer" <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in message >> news:a0LVz.66925$ee2.4419@fx10.iad... >>> My friend has made a working laser that has the following intellectual >>> properties: >>> 1) the more learned the individual is regarding laser construction and >>> operation, the more confused and hostile they are regarding this new >>> laser. >>> 2) The less the individual knows about lasers, the more acceptable the >>> laser is. >>> >>> This laser has absolutely *NO* optics, NO mirrors, no lenses; none, >>> nada, period. >>> In fact, there are NO optical parts. >>> It is a pure electronic gadget. >>> Light comes out only one end, along the axis. >>> >>> Has anyone heard of such a beast before? >>> >>> >> >> An UV Nitrogen laser does this except it emits from both ends. > > Wasn't there a SciAm article (Amateur Scientist?) about that, > decades ago. ISTR the beam being described as "broomstick > size and shape". >
Yes, either that, or I found it on the internet. Very simple construction and very dangerous.
John Larkin wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 12:33:10 -0800, Robert Baer > <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote: > >> My friend has made a working laser that has the following >> intellectual properties: >> 1) the more learned the individual is regarding laser construction and >> operation, the more confused and hostile they are regarding this new laser. >> 2) The less the individual knows about lasers, the more acceptable the >> laser is. >> >> This laser has absolutely *NO* optics, NO mirrors, no lenses; none, >> nada, period. >> In fact, there are NO optical parts. >> It is a pure electronic gadget. >> Light comes out only one end, along the axis. >> >> Has anyone heard of such a beast before? >> > > VCSELS and similar semiconductor lasers work like that. One > semiconductor chip, light comes out. > >
Aint a semiconductor; in fact you can not see the lasing "element".
tom wrote:
> "Robert Baer"<robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in message > news:a0LVz.66925$ee2.4419@fx10.iad... >> My friend has made a working laser that has the following intellectual >> properties: >> 1) the more learned the individual is regarding laser construction and >> operation, the more confused and hostile they are regarding this new >> laser. >> 2) The less the individual knows about lasers, the more acceptable the >> laser is. >> >> This laser has absolutely *NO* optics, NO mirrors, no lenses; none, >> nada, period. >> In fact, there are NO optical parts. >> It is a pure electronic gadget. >> Light comes out only one end, along the axis. >> >> Has anyone heard of such a beast before? >> >> > > An UV Nitrogen laser does this except it emits from both ends. > >
You are VERY close, except it emits from one end only.
On Saturday, November 12, 2016 at 2:22:13 PM UTC-8, Tom Gardner wrote:
> On 12/11/16 22:17, tom wrote: > > "Robert Baer" <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in message > > news:a0LVz.66925$ee2.4419@fx10.iad... > >> My friend has made a working laser that has the following intellectual > >> properties: > >> 1) the more learned the individual is regarding laser construction and > >> operation, the more confused and hostile they are regarding this new > >> laser. > >> 2) The less the individual knows about lasers, the more acceptable the > >> laser is. > >> > >> This laser has absolutely *NO* optics, NO mirrors, no lenses; none, > >> nada, period. > >> In fact, there are NO optical parts. > >> It is a pure electronic gadget. > >> Light comes out only one end, along the axis. > >> > >> Has anyone heard of such a beast before? > >> > >> > > > > An UV Nitrogen laser does this except it emits from both ends. > > Wasn't there a SciAm article (Amateur Scientist?) about that, > decades ago. ISTR the beam being described as "broomstick > size and shape".
It emitted *pulses* of that size and shape. It was an open-air laser very similar to this one: http://technology.niagarac.on.ca/people/mcsele/lasers/LasersTEA.htm ...which might qualify for the OPs laser: "No mirror was used but a single mirror at the rear of the laser will certainly improve the output." ...except it does put out light at both ends, although: "The gap between the parallel electrodes was set to 1.2mm on the front, 1.1mm on the rear...Asymmetric output was found between emission from the rear of the laser and the front. The front output was estimated visually to be about 4 times more powerful." So, pretty close at least. Mark L. Fergerson
On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 23:10:17 -0800, Robert Baer
<robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote:

>John Larkin wrote: >> On Sat, 12 Nov 2016 12:33:10 -0800, Robert Baer >> <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote: >> >>> My friend has made a working laser that has the following >>> intellectual properties: >>> 1) the more learned the individual is regarding laser construction and >>> operation, the more confused and hostile they are regarding this new laser. >>> 2) The less the individual knows about lasers, the more acceptable the >>> laser is. >>> >>> This laser has absolutely *NO* optics, NO mirrors, no lenses; none, >>> nada, period. >>> In fact, there are NO optical parts. >>> It is a pure electronic gadget. >>> Light comes out only one end, along the axis. >>> >>> Has anyone heard of such a beast before? >>> >> >> VCSELS and similar semiconductor lasers work like that. One >> semiconductor chip, light comes out. >> >> > Aint a semiconductor; in fact you can not see the lasing "element".
Well, quit teasing and tell us how it works. If it's a secret, why post? -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc lunatic fringe electronics