LTspice XVII

Started by JM November 1, 2016
I just stumbled across LTspice XVII today - I never realised there had
been any development post LTspice IV.

Very glad to see some long awaited improvements to the UI, especially
the floating windows support.

Give it a try!
On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 15:33:18 +0000, JM <dontreplytothis173@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I just stumbled across LTspice XVII today - I never realised there had >been any development post LTspice IV. > >Very glad to see some long awaited improvements to the UI, especially >the floating windows support. > >Give it a try!
With caution. It's still basically beta... a wee bit buggy. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I'm looking for work... see my website.
On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 15:33:18 +0000, JM wrote:

> I just stumbled across LTspice XVII today - I never realised there had > been any development post LTspice IV. > > Very glad to see some long awaited improvements to the UI, especially > the floating windows support. > > Give it a try!
It would have been nice if Mike Engelheart had kept us up to date on these releases; I had no idea either.
wrote:

>I just stumbled across LTspice XVII today - I never realised there had >been any development post LTspice IV. > >Very glad to see some long awaited improvements to the UI, especially >the floating windows support. > >Give it a try!
<http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/> "LTspice XVII runs on 32- or 64-bit editions of Windows 7, 8 or 10. Windows XP is not supported. Windows XP users can run LTspice IV, which will still be available in observance of Linear Technology Corporation's zero obsolescence tradition." I'm still running XP on most of my machine. Looks like I'll be stuck on LTspice IV for a while. Grumble... -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Join the LTspice List... <http://tinyurl.com/gvmbfk8> ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | STV, Queen Creek, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I'm looking for work... see my website.
On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 11:37:54 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> I'm still running XP on most of my machine. Looks like I'll be stuck on > LTspice IV for a while. Grumble...
I was a bit sceptical about whether it would work or not on my main Linux installation, but with the WINE interface I haven't found any issues, luckily.
On 01/11/2016 18:37, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 15:33:18 +0000, JM <dontreplytothis173@gmail.com> > wrote: > >> I just stumbled across LTspice XVII today - I never realised there had >> been any development post LTspice IV. >> >> Very glad to see some long awaited improvements to the UI, especially >> the floating windows support. >> >> Give it a try! > > <http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/> > "LTspice XVII runs on 32- or 64-bit editions of Windows > 7, 8 or 10. Windows XP is not supported. Windows XP users > can run LTspice IV, which will still be available in > observance of Linear Technology Corporation's zero > obsolescence tradition." > > I'm still running XP on most of my machine. Looks like I'll be stuck > on LTspice IV for a while. Grumble...
Worth grabbing a copy of Win7 64bit while you still can. It runs well. Win8 is a complete dog, poorly thought out and best avoided. Win10 is marginally better but ill suited to use on a desktop unless you like deranged cubist layouts and grease smeared touchscreens. -- Regards, Martin Brown
On 11/01/2016 07:48 PM, Cursitor Doom wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Nov 2016 11:37:54 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote: > >> I'm still running XP on most of my machine. Looks like I'll be stuck on >> LTspice IV for a while. Grumble... > > I was a bit sceptical about whether it would work or not on my main Linux > installation, but with the WINE interface I haven't found any issues, > luckily. >
Both versions run well in Wine, except for the odd crash. If you're running a sim and up pops a dialogue box saying "Can't start marching waves", save immediately--if you touch the plot window, down she goes. I tend to save often and do "git commit" several times per session, so I don't lose anything much. One thing that would have been nice is running stepped simulations in parallel on highly multicore machines. My two office machines have a total of 40 cores, so it would make quite a difference, even if it wound up being disk-bound. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net

I use Win 7 whenever possible. However, the supply of Win 7 and 8.1 licenses just officially dried up for the ummm... 4th time. <http://www.computerworld.com/article/3137430/windows-pcs/microsoft-stops-sales-of-windows-7-professional-to-oems.html> There will probably be enough for the Christmas buying frenzy, but I expect a shortage next year. I have some rather specific opinions about the usefulness of the various Windoze mutations. Bottom line for me is that I can make all of them work for my customer.
>Win10 is marginally better but ill suited to use on a desktop unless you >like deranged cubist layouts and grease smeared touchscreens.
Win 10 is a compromise between a small screen phone, medium screen tablet, and a large screen desktop. Like all compromises, it is not optimized for any of these and works badly on all of them. What I've been doing for the desktop users is installing Classic Shell: <http://www.classicshell.net> It can be easily configured to look and work much like Windoze 7. I also use it to convert Windoze 8.1 machines to a Windoze 7 user interface. The result is no distracting wiggly icons and things work as expected. Moving LTspice from my home Windoze XP desktop to my home Windoze 7 desktop, a distance of about 20 cm, should solve my XP problem. I've been planning this migration for about 9 months, but have done little. After spending the day doing battle with computers, the last thing I need is yet another computer battle when I get home. So, it sits, waiting for inspiration and the fabled spare time. I guess comparing LTspice performance between IV on XP and MMXVII on Win7 might be interesting. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558