Forums

Superior PCB assembly workmanship

Started by bitrex August 18, 2016
Dig the superior workmanship on the underside of this Chinese
 built "eBay Special" SMPS bench supply!

http://tinyurl.com/zzx5ayn

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Dig the superior workmanship on the underside of this Chinese > built "eBay Special" SMPS bench supply! > > http://tinyurl.com/zzx5ayn
Ha! How is the rest of the power supply?
Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> Wrote in message:
> bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote: >> >> Dig the superior workmanship on the underside of this Chinese >> built "eBay Special" SMPS bench supply! >> >> http://tinyurl.com/zzx5ayn > > Ha! How is the rest of the power supply? >
Strangely enough, the top side looks pretty well done! I'll take another pic in a moment. It draws about 0.8 amp with nothing connected. The air coming out of the case smelled a little magic-smokey but not too bad...I don't see anything obviously scorched. When you turn it on the backlit LCD meter comes up fine, and its own current meter indicates its fail. -- ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Component side: http://tinyurl.com/zzbtr9r -- ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote:
> Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> Wrote in message: >> bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote: >>> >>> Dig the superior workmanship on the underside of this Chinese >>> built "eBay Special" SMPS bench supply! >>> >>> http://tinyurl.com/zzx5ayn >> >> Ha! How is the rest of the power supply? >> > > Component side: > > http://tinyurl.com/zzbtr9r
I like the floating diode. It appears they're using "full lead length for guaranteed specifications" or whatever that nonsense quote on replacement component bags was.
Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> Wrote in message:
> bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote: >> Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> Wrote in message: >>> bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote: >>>> >>>> Dig the superior workmanship on the underside of this Chinese >>>> built "eBay Special" SMPS bench supply! >>>> >>>> http://tinyurl.com/zzx5ayn >>> >>> Ha! How is the rest of the power supply? >>> >> >> Component side: >> >> http://tinyurl.com/zzbtr9r > > I like the floating diode. It appears they're using "full lead length for > guaranteed specifications" or whatever that nonsense quote on replacement > component bags was. >
It's pretty perplexing. The layout seems to be well done, they're using what appear to be quality components and metal film resistors throughout (though who can say about the caps), the PCB appears to be well made. The SMD display controller daughterboard is fine. The display is nice and it comes in a rugged case. Why trash it at the last minute? It's almost as if they're afraid of getting a reputation for quality. -- ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 17:45:43 -0400 (EDT), bitrex
<bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote:

>Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> Wrote in message: >> bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote: >>> Cydrome Leader <presence@MUNGEpanix.com> Wrote in message: >>>> bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> Dig the superior workmanship on the underside of this Chinese >>>>> built "eBay Special" SMPS bench supply! >>>>> >>>>> http://tinyurl.com/zzx5ayn >>>> >>>> Ha! How is the rest of the power supply? >>>> >>> >>> Component side: >>> >>> http://tinyurl.com/zzbtr9r >> >> I like the floating diode. It appears they're using "full lead length for >> guaranteed specifications" or whatever that nonsense quote on replacement >> component bags was. >> > >It's pretty perplexing. The layout seems to be well done, they're > using what appear to be quality components and metal film > resistors throughout (though who can say about the caps), the PCB > appears to be well made. The SMD display controller daughterboard > is fine. The display is nice and it comes in a rugged > case. > >Why trash it at the last minute? It's almost as if they're afraid > of getting a reputation for quality.
Is that an Oscon cap on the left? -- Boris --- This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software. https://www.avast.com/antivirus
Hmm, looks hand soldered?  The two underside components, of course, but the
rest I mean.

Or it could've gone through wave, followed by some touch-up.  Dunno.

Flux is messy as hell, of course, which I think is common for hasty Chinese
production.  A dip in solvent then shake it off.  Looks worse than it is.

I'm a bit more worried about the cartoon figures; they aren't in a very safe
place, and should probably be removed before final assembly.

Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

"Tim Williams" <tiwill@seventransistorlabs.com> Wrote in message:
> Hmm, looks hand soldered? The two underside components, of course, but the > rest I mean. > > Or it could've gone through wave, followed by some touch-up. Dunno. > > Flux is messy as hell, of course, which I think is common for hasty Chinese > production. A dip in solvent then shake it off. Looks worse than it is.
Main problem is at the moment there's a fault somewhere and it's drawing a lot of current just sitting with no load attached!
Yeah, those guys can be real jerks sometimes. ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
None of the electrolytics are named, but all are labeled with a stylized "G" inside a "D" or "I" maybe. Doesn't immediately bring anything to mind. -- ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://usenet.sinaapp.com/