OT: Lead Acid Float Charger

Started by Jim Thompson March 30, 2016

I read somewhere 6 years and they should be replaced regardless. Date codes <http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11> Cheers
"Ralph Mowery"  wrote in message

"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
message news:08hofb1g9iq65t5riiktp9tmfcrr9uvinj@4ax.com...
> > I know, I know, I should drive it to the grocery once a week. > > One other thing I learned... 15 year-old original equipment tires are > _not_ a good thing... they "shed" :-( >
I have read that tires should be ran so often so they get hot and they will last longer as far as the dry rot types of problems. For about 10 years I had an old beater of a truck that I seldom drove. About every 2 weeks I would drive it to work which was about 15 miles each way. Seemed to solve a lot of problems. ============================================================================= That's the best way. If you start a vehicle up infrequently, you need to keep it running for long enough to get the coolant and oil and the entire exhaust system up to running temps or you will just build up condensation that will slowly cause corrosion damage while it is parked. If you only run it 5-10 minutes you are better off not running it at all. Just idling with no load it would need at least 30 and more likely 60 minutes to get everything toasty warm and dry. Think how many cars you see on the road still dripping water out of the tailpipe when they stop, and they have been running under load for at least five minutes. Also, even if they don't look dry-rotted, tires really start to degrade after about 7-8 years, which is one reason the fed requires date of mfg. on the sidewall. Google will give you lots of articles on this; basically the rubber strength starts dropping off, the rubber gets stiffer, and the rate of heat buildup at speed starts climbing so a blowout is going to happen sooner or later. As for the truck parked in the shade, can't you just put the solar cells somewhere close where they can get sunlight? The current should be low enough that wire loss shouldn't be an issue even for a 100' run. I did some research a couple of months ago and it seems that if the solar cells are rated less than about 15 watts you don't need to worry about overcharging a car sized battery, and that is plenty to keep a charged battery up and happy. More watts and it can charge faster but now you need a charge controller to keep from hurting the battery. I bought a 7.5 watt panel and used it while it was still hitting the 20's at night, but I drive my truck just often enough that I don't know if it made any difference or not. Next winter will tell, when it gets cold and the batteries (diesel so two batteries and lots of cranking current needed) are another year older. ----- Regards, Carl Ijames
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 18:29:31 -0400, Martin Riddle
<martin_ridd@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 14:30:01 -0700, Jim Thompson ><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: > >>On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 15:47:23 -0500, Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.com> >>wrote: >> >>>On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:07:21 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote: >>> >>>> I drive my pick-em-up truck every few months. >>>> >>>> So the battery is dead when I go to use it... like today :-( >>>> >>>> I'm looking for recommendations for the _best_ (*) float charger I can >>>> buy to just plug the truck into when it's parked. >>>> >>>> (*) Cost no object. >>>> >>>> ...Jim Thompson >>> >>>Pick a day of the month, and on that day start it up and idle it for five >>>or ten minutes. >>> >>>Problem solved. >> >>I know, I know, I should drive it to the grocery once a week. >> >>One other thing I learned... 15 year-old original equipment tires are >>_not_ a good thing... they "shed" :-( >> >> ...Jim Thompson > >I read somewhere 6 years and they should be replaced regardless. > >Date codes ><http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11> > >Cheers
Yep, 6 years is what the guy at Discount Tire told me. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:07:21 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> Gave us:

Put a battery switch on the thing, and suffer the fact that clock setting regimens are also called for at that point. http://tinyurl.com/gulw49t
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 4:07:29 PM UTC-4, Jim Thompson wrote:
> I drive my pick-em-up truck every few months. > > So the battery is dead when I go to use it... like today :-( > > I'm looking for recommendations for the _best_ (*) float charger I can > buy to just plug the truck into when it's parked. > > (*) Cost no object. > > ...Jim Thompson > -- > | James E.Thompson | mens | > | Analog Innovations | et | > | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | > | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | > | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | > | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | > > I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Hmmm, I've got plenty of vehicles in a similar situation. I was thinking of a solar thing maybe... George H.
http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-2017-Powered-Battery-Charger/dp/B000VHT9GS ? -Lasse
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 4:36:09 PM UTC-4, Dave M wrote:
> I've used several of the cheap float chargers from Harbor Freight for over > 30 years on various vehicles; trucks, lawn mowers, tractors, etc. Never had > a failure on any of them. Never lost a battery (except due to age) either. > http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html > I see that they have another "Deluxe" model > http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-deluxe-battery-maintainer-and-float-charger-62813.html. > Don't see what the Deluxe model does that the other model does, except cost > more. > > Dave M
Does it say how much power it uses just sitting there? I want a solar thing to stick in the wind shield of my truck, Say a bit of direct sun (~1 hour/day) and otherwise diffuse. I have no idea of the numbers... How much does my lead acid loose every day? George H.
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 4:47:28 PM UTC-4, Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:07:21 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote: > > > I drive my pick-em-up truck every few months. > > > > So the battery is dead when I go to use it... like today :-( > > > > I'm looking for recommendations for the _best_ (*) float charger I can > > buy to just plug the truck into when it's parked. > > > > (*) Cost no object. > > > > ...Jim Thompson > > Pick a day of the month, and on that day start it up and idle it for five > or ten minutes. > > Problem solved.
Geesh, how am I going to remember that? It's always a cold winter night, with 2' of snow, and it doesn't start. George H.
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 6:31:44 PM UTC-4, Carl Ijames wrote:
> "Ralph Mowery" wrote in message > news:ZIednS0hRrGY0WHLnZ2dnUU7-L_NnZ2d@earthlink.com... > > > "Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote in > message news:08hofb1g9iq65t5riiktp9tmfcrr9uvinj@4ax.com... > > > > I know, I know, I should drive it to the grocery once a week. > > > > One other thing I learned... 15 year-old original equipment tires are > > _not_ a good thing... they "shed" :-( > > > > I have read that tires should be ran so often so they get hot and they will > last longer as far as the dry rot types of problems. > > For about 10 years I had an old beater of a truck that I seldom drove. > About every 2 weeks I would drive it to work which was about 15 miles each > way. Seemed to solve a lot of problems. > ============================================================================= > > That's the best way. If you start a vehicle up infrequently, you need to > keep it running for long enough to get the coolant and oil and the entire > exhaust system up to running temps or you will just build up condensation > that will slowly cause corrosion damage while it is parked. If you only run > it 5-10 minutes you are better off not running it at all. Just idling with > no load it would need at least 30 and more likely 60 minutes to get > everything toasty warm and dry. Think how many cars you see on the road > still dripping water out of the tailpipe when they stop, and they have been > running under load for at least five minutes. Also, even if they don't look > dry-rotted, tires really start to degrade after about 7-8 years, which is > one reason the fed requires date of mfg. on the sidewall. Google will give > you lots of articles on this; basically the rubber strength starts dropping > off, the rubber gets stiffer, and the rate of heat buildup at speed starts > climbing so a blowout is going to happen sooner or later. As for the truck > parked in the shade, can't you just put the solar cells somewhere close > where they can get sunlight? The current should be low enough that wire > loss shouldn't be an issue even for a 100' run. I did some research a > couple of months ago and it seems that if the solar cells are rated less > than about 15 watts you don't need to worry about overcharging a car sized > battery, and that is plenty to keep a charged battery up and happy. More > watts and it can charge faster but now you need a charge controller to keep > from hurting the battery. I bought a 7.5 watt panel and used it while it > was still hitting the 20's at night, but I drive my truck just often enough > that I don't know if it made any difference or not. Next winter will tell, > when it gets cold and the batteries (diesel so two batteries and lots of > cranking current needed) are another year older. > > ----- > Regards, > Carl Ijames
A diode, the right number of solar cells in series, and the right area... or more and some control/ feedback. And it's gotta work from the dead of winter, to the heat of summer. George H.

A diode, the right number of solar cells in series, and the right area... or more and some control/ feedback. And it's gotta work from the dead of winter, to the heat of summer. George H. ======================================================== Here's the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/ALLPOWERS-Maintainer-Automobile-Motorcycle-Batteries/dp/B012ZHGGXU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00, about the same as the one Lasse suggested. Most solar cells sold as "battery chargers" for car batteries contain a Schottky diode to prevent discharge when the sun goes down. Trickle chargers and the smallest battery maintainers range from 0.75 to 1.5 amp max, and the solar lead acid chargers that don't include electronics beyond the diode seem to be under 15 watts so they don't overcharge the battery. 7.5 watts at 12 volts gives 0.6 amps peak, right in the same range, so that's what I went with. Won't charge a dead battery but will slowly charge a moderately discharged one and will keep a charged one at full charge. I played with my ammeter back in Feb on a bright sunny day here in MD, and outside I got about 0.4 amps. On the dash, behind the windshield, the best I got was 0.27 or so, so I'm not worried about overcharging :-). Battery self discharge goes up with temperature, and the panel output should go up in the summer with more sun, so at least they track. The ecm and radio and maybe climate control or other things will draw a few mA to keep their memories going, plus things like the blinking red LED on my dash when the key is out. I also have a 6 A Deltrans Battery Maintainer, and I think I read on their website that internal discharge currents in a car battery were on the order of 10-100 mA (fuzzy memory), so probably of the same order as the key-off loads, so 20-400 mA for 4-6 hours a day should come close to breaking even. I know that my truck started fully charged and was dead after 3 weeks, the longest I ever let it sit. Oh, my solar charger has a red LED on the cigarette lighter adaptor that also draws from the battery when the cells are in the dark. I opened up the adaptor and it has a 1500 ohm resistor in series so that's another 4-8 mA depending on LED drop. Any more and I would have cut the resistor, but I guess it's ok. ----- Regards, Carl Ijames