Forums

OT: Lead Acid Float Charger

Started by Jim Thompson March 30, 2016
I drive my pick-em-up truck every few months.

So the battery is dead when I go to use it... like today :-(

I'm looking for recommendations for the _best_ (*) float charger I can
buy to just plug the truck into when it's parked.

(*) Cost no object.
		
                                        ...Jim Thompson
-- 
| James E.Thompson                                 |    mens     |
| Analog Innovations                               |     et      |
| Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems  |    manus    |
| San Tan Valley, AZ 85142     Skype: skypeanalog  |             |
| Voice:(480)460-2350  Fax: Available upon request |  Brass Rat  |
| E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com |    1962     |
             
I love to cook with wine.     Sometimes I even put it in the food.
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 1:07:29 PM UTC-7, Jim Thompson wrote:
> I drive my pick-em-up truck every few months. > > So the battery is dead when I go to use it... like today :-( > > I'm looking for recommendations for the _best_ (*) float charger I can > buy to just plug the truck into when it's parked. > > (*) Cost no object.
Then solar charger. Alternatively, measure the voltage and tap into the starter relay. Just start the engine once in a while.
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:07:21 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>I drive my pick-em-up truck every few months. > >So the battery is dead when I go to use it... like today :-( > >I'm looking for recommendations for the _best_ (*) float charger I can >buy to just plug the truck into when it's parked. > >(*) Cost no object. > > ...Jim Thompson
The Battery tenders are popular. Not expensive either. <http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtn-021-0123> Lowes has a 1.5 amp Shumacher <http://www.lowes.com/pd_595175-41462-XM1-5_1z0x524__?productId=50256403&pl=1&Ntt=charger> They both have good reviews. Smart chargers are another story. Cheers
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 16:23:13 -0400, Martin Riddle
<martin_rid@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:07:21 -0700, Jim Thompson ><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: > >>I drive my pick-em-up truck every few months. >> >>So the battery is dead when I go to use it... like today :-( >> >>I'm looking for recommendations for the _best_ (*) float charger I can >>buy to just plug the truck into when it's parked. >> >>(*) Cost no object. >> >> ...Jim Thompson > >The Battery tenders are popular. Not expensive either. ><http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtn-021-0123> > >Lowes has a 1.5 amp Shumacher ><http://www.lowes.com/pd_595175-41462-XM1-5_1z0x524__?productId=50256403&pl=1&Ntt=charger> > > >They both have good reviews. > >Smart chargers are another story. > >Cheers
Now all I need is some kind of magnetic power plug that gracefully disconnects when I drive off >:-} ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 1:23:21 PM UTC-7, Martin Riddle wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:07:21 -0700, Jim Thompson > <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: > > >I drive my pick-em-up truck every few months. > > > >So the battery is dead when I go to use it... like today :-( > > > >I'm looking for recommendations for the _best_ (*) float charger I can > >buy to just plug the truck into when it's parked. > > > >(*) Cost no object. > > > > ...Jim Thompson > > The Battery tenders are popular. Not expensive either. > <http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtn-021-0123> > > Lowes has a 1.5 amp Shumacher > <http://www.lowes.com/pd_595175-41462-XM1-5_1z0x524__?productId=50256403&pl=1&Ntt=charger> > > > They both have good reviews. > > Smart chargers are another story. > > Cheers
In my case, no power (no AC charger) and in shaded area (no solar).
I've used several of the cheap float chargers from Harbor Freight for over 
30 years on various vehicles; trucks, lawn mowers, tractors, etc.  Never had 
a failure on any of them.  Never lost a battery (except due to age) either.
http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html
I see that they have another "Deluxe" model 
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-deluxe-battery-maintainer-and-float-charger-62813.html. 
Don't see what the Deluxe model does that the other model does, except cost 
more.

Dave M

Jim Thompson wrote:
> I drive my pick-em-up truck every few months. > > So the battery is dead when I go to use it... like today :-( > > I'm looking for recommendations for the _best_ (*) float charger I can > buy to just plug the truck into when it's parked. > > (*) Cost no object. > > ...Jim Thompson >> James E.Thompson | mens | >> Analog Innovations | et | >> Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | >> San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | >> Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | >> E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | > > I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
In article <rjdofbhb1f0lknmaa6eec52995kdi7hm35@4ax.com>,
   Jim Thompson <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
> Now all I need is some kind of magnetic power plug that gracefully > disconnects when I drive off >:-}
I have a small charger keeping my Z28 topped up as that gets driven every couple of weeks. I have a 1/4" Audio Jack on the charger and a 1/4" Socket socket wired up just poking out at the side of the headlights. If i forget to unplug it, it just pops out. Mitch -- Terminal_Crazy Mitch - 1995 Z28 LT1 M6 terminal_crazy@sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk Lancashire England http://www.sand-hill.freeserve.co.uk/terminal_crazy/
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:27:23 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 16:23:13 -0400, Martin Riddle ><martin_rid@verizon.net> wrote: > >>On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:07:21 -0700, Jim Thompson >><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >> >>>I drive my pick-em-up truck every few months. >>> >>>So the battery is dead when I go to use it... like today :-( >>> >>>I'm looking for recommendations for the _best_ (*) float charger I can >>>buy to just plug the truck into when it's parked. >>> >>>(*) Cost no object. >>> >>> ...Jim Thompson >> >>The Battery tenders are popular. Not expensive either. >><http://www.summitracing.com/parts/dtn-021-0123> >> >>Lowes has a 1.5 amp Shumacher >><http://www.lowes.com/pd_595175-41462-XM1-5_1z0x524__?productId=50256403&pl=1&Ntt=charger> >> >> >>They both have good reviews. >> >>Smart chargers are another story. >> >>Cheers > >Now all I need is some kind of magnetic power plug that gracefully >disconnects when I drive off >:-} > > ...Jim Thompson
How about those cheap trailer connectors, 2 or 4 pins, a fuse to the battery. Put one on the Tender and plug it in. They come apart faily easily. Cheers
On Wed, 30 Mar 2016 13:07:21 -0700, Jim Thompson wrote:

> I drive my pick-em-up truck every few months. > > So the battery is dead when I go to use it... like today :-( > > I'm looking for recommendations for the _best_ (*) float charger I can > buy to just plug the truck into when it's parked. > > (*) Cost no object. > > ...Jim Thompson
Pick a day of the month, and on that day start it up and idle it for five or ten minutes. Problem solved. -- www.wescottdesign.com
On Wednesday, March 30, 2016 at 4:36:09 PM UTC-4, Dave M wrote:
> I've used several of the cheap float chargers from Harbor Freight for over > 30 years on various vehicles; trucks, lawn mowers, tractors, etc. Never had > a failure on any of them. > > Dave M
They are a float charger. Just a regulated power supply good for about an amp. The voltage is about 12.5 volts. I have one of the garden tractor. Can check the exact voltage if you want it. But Harbor Freight almost always have them on sale for about 6 bucks. Dan