Forums

Power supply connector removal

Started by bitrex March 26, 2016
I'm replacing the old filter electrolytics in this synthesizer power
supply; they're starting to get a little crusty.

The connectors for the transformer input and the EL backlight driver
output were easy to remove, but I find myself a little stumped on how to
remove this one so I can pull it out and get it over to my (small)
workbench.

Is there any way to easily detach this thing without desoldering it from
the board?

http://tinyurl.com/j5cpgu2
On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 10:43:40 -0400, bitrex wrote:

> I'm replacing the old filter electrolytics in this synthesizer power > supply; they're starting to get a little crusty. > > The connectors for the transformer input and the EL backlight driver > output were easy to remove, but I find myself a little stumped on how to > remove this one so I can pull it out and get it over to my (small) > workbench. > > Is there any way to easily detach this thing without desoldering it from > the board? > > http://tinyurl.com/j5cpgu2
Not sure what you mean, but have x-posted this to a more appropriate group.
That's a soldered end.  If the other end is inaccessible for [reasons],
apparently that's your fault somehow. :-\

Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

On 03/26/2016 11:24 AM, Tim Williams wrote:
> That's a soldered end. If the other end is inaccessible for [reasons], > apparently that's your fault somehow. :-\ > > Tim >
I definitely don't understand the point of putting two detachable connectors on it, and then soldering the main output connector to the board. WTF, Roland.
On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 10:43:40 -0400, bitrex
<bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote:

>I'm replacing the old filter electrolytics in this synthesizer power >supply; they're starting to get a little crusty. > >The connectors for the transformer input and the EL backlight driver >output were easy to remove, but I find myself a little stumped on how to >remove this one so I can pull it out and get it over to my (small) >workbench. > >Is there any way to easily detach this thing without desoldering it from >the board? > >http://tinyurl.com/j5cpgu2
Sure. Dikes (you didn't say you wanted to reattach it). This looks like a direct wire connector (not intended to "disconnect"). Does the cable have a (detachable) connector at the other end?
On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 10:24:50 -0500, Tim Williams wrote:

> That's a soldered end. If the other end is inaccessible for [reasons], > apparently that's your fault somehow. :-\ > > Tim
I see crimped connections inside that housing. You're saying that they're male pins that are soldered into the board? I could see them being female sockets that grip the sh*t out of male pins on the board, but it does look pretty low-profile for that. -- www.wescottdesign.com
On 3/26/2016 12:00 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2016 10:24:50 -0500, Tim Williams wrote: > >> That's a soldered end. If the other end is inaccessible for [reasons], >> apparently that's your fault somehow. :-\ >> >> Tim > > I see crimped connections inside that housing. You're saying that > they're male pins that are soldered into the board? > > I could see them being female sockets that grip the sh*t out of male pins > on the board, but it does look pretty low-profile for that.
Not uncommon. The crimps are machine terminations and putting them in a housing makes it faster to insert to the board for soldering. Very low labor costs. -- Rick

That's what it looks like to me, too. This is a fairly common connector. I think it's something like this. Unfortunately, there isn't a good picture of it with the pins inserted. http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex-llc/0510150800/WM12381-ND/403544
Doesn't look like it - juts male pins soldered directly to the board. :( -- ----Android NewsGroup Reader---- http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
On Saturday, March 26, 2016 at 10:43:47 AM UTC-4, bitrex wrote:
> I'm replacing the old filter electrolytics in this synthesizer power > supply; they're starting to get a little crusty. > > The connectors for the transformer input and the EL backlight driver > output were easy to remove, but I find myself a little stumped on how to > remove this one so I can pull it out and get it over to my (small) > workbench. > > Is there any way to easily detach this thing without desoldering it from > the board? > > http://tinyurl.com/j5cpgu2
The crimped pins should pull out of the connector individually.