Forums

electronic key operating voltage ...

Started by Winfield Hill January 28, 2016
 My car's key takes a 2032 lithium battery.
 These keys are awesome: Never take the keys
 out of your pocket, either to open the door
 or to start the car.

 After > half-decade of operation, suddenly
 without warning it stopped operating, whoa
 how to get stranded!  Heck, I didn't even
 realize that my RFID required a battery!

 OK, yes with its long range that should
 have been clear.  Interesting factoid,
 the "dead" cell's voltage, 2.6 volts.
 The new 2032 cell, 3.28 volts.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win
Winfield Hill wrote:

> My car's key takes a 2032 lithium battery. > These keys are awesome: Never take the keys > out of your pocket, either to open the door > or to start the car. > > After > half-decade of operation, suddenly > without warning it stopped operating, whoa > how to get stranded! Heck, I didn't even > realize that my RFID required a battery! >
Usually, they have a mechanical key for backup. For instance, the CAR's battery could also get run down, then the remote entry wouldn't work, either. The immobilizer is generally powered by the car's computer, and doesn't need the remote's battery to function. It just needs the remote fob to be within range of the antenna, usually on the side of the steering column. Jon
On 28 Jan 2016 13:17:43 -0800, Winfield Hill <hill@rowland.harvard.edu>
Gave us:

> My car's key takes a 2032 lithium battery. > These keys are awesome: Never take the keys > out of your pocket, either to open the door > or to start the car. > > After > half-decade of operation, suddenly > without warning it stopped operating, whoa > how to get stranded! Heck, I didn't even > realize that my RFID required a battery! > > OK, yes with its long range that should > have been clear. Interesting factoid, > the "dead" cell's voltage, 2.6 volts. > The new 2032 cell, 3.28 volts.
That is the difference between active and passive RFID implementations.
Jon Elson wrote...
> >Winfield Hill wrote: > >> My car's key takes a 2032 lithium battery. >> These keys are awesome: Never take the keys >> out of your pocket, either to open the door >> or to start the car. >> >> After > half-decade of operation, suddenly >> without warning it stopped operating, whoa >> how to get stranded! Heck, I didn't even >> realize that my RFID required a battery! > > Usually, they have a mechanical key for backup. > For instance, the CAR's battery could also get > run down, then the remote entry wouldn't work, > either. > > The immobilizer is generally powered by the car's > computer, and doesn't need the remote's battery > to function. It just needs the remote fob to > be within range of the antenna, usually on the > side of the steering column.
Right, Jon, there's a little slot there for it. Dead batteries have to be immediately replaced, because otherwise you revert to the dark ages of pulling your keys out of your pocket. :-) -- Thanks, - Win
<hill@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

> My car's key takes a 2032 lithium battery. > These keys are awesome: Never take the keys > out of your pocket, either to open the door > or to start the car. > > After > half-decade of operation, suddenly > without warning it stopped operating, whoa > how to get stranded! Heck, I didn't even > realize that my RFID required a battery! > > OK, yes with its long range that should > have been clear. Interesting factoid, > the "dead" cell's voltage, 2.6 volts. > The new 2032 cell, 3.28 volts.
Mine is good for most of a city block, but it still works mechanically if the electronics is dead. I was loading my skis into the car and slipped and fell on ice. I couldn't find the key for the longest time; I'd smashed it into the ice with my bod, so the key was hidden in water under the ice. The water killed the electronics! Imagine making a car key that's not waterproof. It cost about $300 to buy a new key and reprogram *all* of my extra keys. Sometimes I hate technology. I always carry a spare valet key. This damned Audi will lock you out if you turn your back on it. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On 1/28/2016 5:33 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On 28 Jan 2016 13:17:43 -0800, Winfield Hill > <hill@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote: > >> My car's key takes a 2032 lithium battery. >> These keys are awesome: Never take the keys >> out of your pocket, either to open the door >> or to start the car. >> >> After > half-decade of operation, suddenly >> without warning it stopped operating, whoa >> how to get stranded! Heck, I didn't even >> realize that my RFID required a battery! >> >> OK, yes with its long range that should >> have been clear. Interesting factoid, >> the "dead" cell's voltage, 2.6 volts. >> The new 2032 cell, 3.28 volts. > > Mine is good for most of a city block, but it still works mechanically > if the electronics is dead. > > I was loading my skis into the car and slipped and fell on ice. I > couldn't find the key for the longest time; I'd smashed it into the > ice with my bod, so the key was hidden in water under the ice. The > water killed the electronics! Imagine making a car key that's not > waterproof. It cost about $300 to buy a new key and reprogram *all* of > my extra keys. > > Sometimes I hate technology. > > I always carry a spare valet key. This damned Audi will lock you out > if you turn your back on it.
Mine (GM) fell into a bucket of soapy water. Quick rinse under the faucet, slosh in IPA, blow dry, pop it open to see how wet it was (get the battery out NOW!). Dry inside. All gasketed with a rubber thinger between the buttons and the switches. -- Grizzly H.
In article <n8e0hn01iiq@drn.newsguy.com>, hill@rowland.harvard.edu
says...
> > My car's key takes a 2032 lithium battery. > These keys are awesome: Never take the keys > out of your pocket, either to open the door > or to start the car. > > After > half-decade of operation, suddenly > without warning it stopped operating, whoa > how to get stranded! Heck, I didn't even > realize that my RFID required a battery! > > OK, yes with its long range that should > have been clear. Interesting factoid, > the "dead" cell's voltage, 2.6 volts. > The new 2032 cell, 3.28 volts.
my Jeep has a keyless entry. The emergency key works only for the door.. To operate the jeep with a dead FOB cell, I need to pop the lid of the push button where as there is an empty hole behind it that you insert your FOB, not the key but the FOB it self and actually turn it. It's not a real key tumbler by any means but it works. P.S. The emergency key needs to be reinserted in the FOB before that option works. I normally replace my cells in both keys every 6 months. Jamie
On 1/28/2016 4:17 PM, Winfield Hill wrote:
> ... whoa how to get stranded! ...
Here's another way: wife drives the 2 of you with her fob in her purse, she gets out without turning the engine off & you drive away. You get where you're going & turn the engine off. Except that you don't have your fob with you. And you just parked in a tow-away zone 'cause you were only going to be a minute. Bob
On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 19:21:26 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
<BobEngelhardt@comcast.net> Gave us:

>On 1/28/2016 4:17 PM, Winfield Hill wrote: >> ... whoa how to get stranded! ... > >Here's another way: wife drives the 2 of you with her fob in her purse, >she gets out without turning the engine off & you drive away. You get >where you're going & turn the engine off. Except that you don't have >your fob with you. > >And you just parked in a tow-away zone 'cause you were only going to be >a minute. > >Bob
Call your own tow truck... real quick like.
"Bob Engelhardt" <BobEngelhardt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On 1/28/2016 4:17 PM, Winfield Hill wrote: >> ... whoa how to get stranded! ... > > Here's another way: wife drives the 2 of you with her fob in her purse, > she gets out without turning the engine off & you drive away. You get > where you're going & turn the engine off. Except that you don't have your > fob with you. > > And you just parked in a tow-away zone 'cause you were only going to be a > minute. > > Bob >
RTFM :)