Forums

Could LED xmas lights be made to look like the old Incan Flasher Bulbs?

Started by Unknown January 3, 2016
During the holiday, I saw a tree with the old C9 incan flasher bulbs.
Those are the bulbs which have an internal bi-metal contactor which
causes that bulb to flash on and off.

I was thinking that the modern LED light strings can do all sorts of
effects, such as chaser motions, color changing, and much more.
But I dont see any way to make individual LEDs to randomly flash like
these old C7 or C9 bulbs.

I'm assuming that it's possible, but each LED in a string would need to
be wired individually, and each LED have it's own flasher, which
operates at a different speed from others on that string.

Even then, I doubt the EXACT effect would occur, because the incan bulbs
have a slight "fade" as they light up and turn off, whereas a LED is
instant ON or OFF.

How difficult would it be to mimic the effect of these old C7 and C9
Flasher bulbs, and how would it be achieved?

boomer#6877250@none.com wrote:
> > How difficult would it be to mimic the effect of these old C7 and C9 > Flasher bulbs, and how would it be achieved?
With a custom flasher chip that could be built into each LED for a pretty low cost, and a plastic light waveguide inside the bulb to make it look like a filament. It wouldn't cost much in the large quantities it would sell, so I don't know why it's not available. --
On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 17:55:13 -0600, boomer#6877250@none.com wrote:

>How difficult would it be to mimic the effect of these old C7 and C9 >Flasher bulbs, and how would it be achieved?
Already for sale: <http://www.noveltylights.com/twinkling-led-christmas-lights> More: <https://www.google.com/#q=led+christmas+light+flasher> Schematics: <https://www.google.com/#q=led+christmas+light+flasher+schematic> What I want are squirrel proof Christmas (Hannukah) lights. Every year, I have to resolder the wires thanks to the squirrels. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

There are "simulated incandescent filament" lights that are really LED's in disguise: <https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=simulated+incandescent+filament> <http://www.google.com/patents/US20130194797> I couldn't find one that's the same size as a Hanukkah, err... Christams tree light, but some are close if one downsizes the LED's. <http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/615I5RPuIXL._SL1000_.jpg> -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 17:55:13 -0600, boomer#6877250@none.com wrote:

>During the holiday, I saw a tree with the old C9 incan flasher bulbs. >Those are the bulbs which have an internal bi-metal contactor which >causes that bulb to flash on and off. > >I was thinking that the modern LED light strings can do all sorts of >effects, such as chaser motions, color changing, and much more. >But I dont see any way to make individual LEDs to randomly flash like >these old C7 or C9 bulbs. > >I'm assuming that it's possible, but each LED in a string would need to >be wired individually, and each LED have it's own flasher, which >operates at a different speed from others on that string.
Anything can be done if you throw enough hardware at it. In this case, LED Christmas lights are series strung, so if one goes out a lot of lights go with it. This isn't uncommon in incandescent strings, either. The mini-lights are usually the same. You could blink 50 (give or take) adjacent lights at once with the common strings fairly easily. To blink one at a time, I guess you could either drive the string with a current source and short the "off" LEDs, rather than opening the circuit or substitute a resistor for the "off" LEDs. Either are possible but not trivial.
> >Even then, I doubt the EXACT effect would occur, because the incan bulbs >have a slight "fade" as they light up and turn off, whereas a LED is >instant ON or OFF.
Simply a matter of more hardware/software. The switch (from above) can PWM (pulse-width-modulate) the LED in an on-off-on-off pattern to mimic the incandescent lamp. Again, it's "just" hardware/software.
> >How difficult would it be to mimic the effect of these old C7 and C9 >Flasher bulbs, and how would it be achieved?
Not "difficult" but not $6 (retail) for 150 LED strings, either. I'd guess 100x that much $$, but I don't know how they do it for $6 either.
<boomer#6877250@none.com> wrote in message
> During the holiday, I saw a tree with the old C9 incan flasher bulbs. > Those are the bulbs which have an internal bi-metal contactor which > causes that bulb to flash on and off. > > I was thinking that the modern LED light strings can do all sorts of > effects, such as chaser motions, color changing, and much more. > But I dont see any way to make individual LEDs to randomly flash like > these old C7 or C9 bulbs. > > I'm assuming that it's possible, but each LED in a string would need to > be wired individually, and each LED have it's own flasher, which > operates at a different speed from others on that string. > > Even then, I doubt the EXACT effect would occur, because the incan bulbs > have a slight "fade" as they light up and turn off, whereas a LED is > instant ON or OFF. > > How difficult would it be to mimic the effect of these old C7 and C9 > Flasher bulbs, and how would it be achieved? > >
You could use 4 microchip PIC microprossors (16F628) to control 15 lights each for a string of 45 lights. The processors are cheap at $1.80 each and can supply 10 milliamps to each LED. But it requires a software program to randomly flash the LEDs or do whatever desired patterns. It also requires a lot of wiring for each LED to the processors. I have a 50 Xmas light star display that runs on a PC desktop running QBasic DOS 6.2. It uses a separate PC power supply for the 5 volts to power the lights. It does all sorts of patterns and sequences the lights right, left, random, and so forth. I spent a couple months figuring out the patterns I wanted. . . --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
On Sunday, 3 January 2016 23:59:16 UTC, boomer#...@none.com  wrote:

> During the holiday, I saw a tree with the old C9 incan flasher bulbs. > Those are the bulbs which have an internal bi-metal contactor which > causes that bulb to flash on and off. > > I was thinking that the modern LED light strings can do all sorts of > effects, such as chaser motions, color changing, and much more. > But I dont see any way to make individual LEDs to randomly flash like > these old C7 or C9 bulbs. > > I'm assuming that it's possible, but each LED in a string would need to > be wired individually, and each LED have it's own flasher, which > operates at a different speed from others on that string. > > Even then, I doubt the EXACT effect would occur, because the incan bulbs > have a slight "fade" as they light up and turn off, whereas a LED is > instant ON or OFF. > > How difficult would it be to mimic the effect of these old C7 and C9 > Flasher bulbs, and how would it be achieved?
ISTR years ago seeing self flashing LEDs for 5v or 12v. Lots in parallel would be close, but no fade. NT
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 17:55:13 -0600, boomer#6877250@none.com wrote: > >> How difficult would it be to mimic the effect of these old C7 and C9 >> Flasher bulbs, and how would it be achieved? > > Already for sale: > <http://www.noveltylights.com/twinkling-led-christmas-lights> > More: > <https://www.google.com/#q=led+christmas+light+flasher> > Schematics: > <https://www.google.com/#q=led+christmas+light+flasher+schematic> > > What I want are squirrel proof Christmas (Hannukah) lights. Every > year, I have to resolder the wires thanks to the squirrels.
You need to get rid of the lead free squirrels. ;-) -- Never piss off an Engineer! They don't get mad. They don't get even. They go for over unity! ;-)