Magamp oscillator

Started by Piotr Wyderski November 3, 2015
On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 06:52:11 -0800 (PST), tabbypurr@gmail.com wrote:

>On Tuesday, 3 November 2015 14:31:10 UTC, Piotr Wyderski wrote: >> legg wrote: > >> > Magnetic amplifiers are conventionally effective in an AC environment >> > - the power source is already 'oscillating'. >> >> Hence my question, whether it would be possible to build an all-magnetic >> circuit. >> >> Best regards, Piotr > >so derive your ac with a spinning magnet/coil.
That's already an oscillator! Done! -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
In article <n1ast3$rgn$1@node1.news.atman.pl>, peter.pan@neverland.mil
says...
> > legg wrote: > > > I challenge you to find the word 'oscillate' or 'oscillator' in any > > text devoted to magnetic amplifiers or saturable inductor circuits. > > You don't need to challenge me, I have exactly the same > experience after nontrivial amount of googling. There's > nothing about it. Which is the reason I asked here, the > people inhabiting this newsgroup know a lot about all > kinds of crazy things. > > Best regards, Piotr
I suppose if you had an ideal C and L in parallel and had the CAP precharged when connecting them, while in a ideal invironment it would keep ringing to the end of days. Jamie
> legg wrote: > > > I challenge you to find the word 'oscillate' or 'oscillator' in any > > text devoted to magnetic amplifiers or saturable inductor circuits. > > You don't need to challenge me, I have exactly the same > experience after nontrivial amount of googling. There's > nothing about it. Which is the reason I asked here, the > people inhabiting this newsgroup know a lot about all > kinds of crazy things. > > Best regards, Piotr
Does this have a use? I would think you could make a bang-bang oscillator but you'd need a switch or two. George H.
On 2015-11-03, Piotr Wyderski <peter.pan@neverland.mil> wrote:
> Is it at all possible to build an oscillator entirely from > non-linear magnetics (OK, solid state diodes are allowed)? > > Best regards, Piotr
mag amps require an AC supply to exhibit amplification, so if you allow an AC supply then yes it's possible. I think the ring generators used to generate ring voltage for phone exchanges used to work that way, being some sort of phase-locked oscillator. dividing 60Hz to 20Hz or 50Hz to 16.66' Hz. -- \_(&#12484;)_
On a sunny day (Tue, 3 Nov 2015 16:30:15 +0100) it happened Piotr Wyderski
<peter.pan@neverland.mil> wrote in <n1aju7$i6k$1@node1.news.atman.pl>:

>Jan Panteltje wrote: > >> DC motor... > >And, in fact, it is a correct answer. Yes, it can be done that way. >Now try without movables or argue it's impossible. :-)
I already told ye, 'solid state diode' -> tunnel diode. If you do not know 'tunnel diode' then look up Esaki diode perhaps. An LC oscillator can be made with 1 inductor resonating on its own winding capacitance if you are strict and do not allow capacitors, and some resistor (you will also need those in magnetic amplifiers). So then you are already done. If you MUST use transductors, then use the tunnel diode generated AC to power some, and feedback, for a gain > 1 and the correct phase that will oscillate too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_diode Unless you want to change the rules when playing, and forbid these diodes... Even than be it powered by AC or DC, ANY amplifier needs a power source, magnetic amplifiers too. There is no problem.
George Herold wrote:

> Does this have a use?
I don't think so, the question is out of pure curiosity. As one of the other posters has already noticed, it would not be better than a transistor-based oscillator, and not even smaller. Since the smallest reasonable oscillator is probably an ATTiny in SOT23-6... I am currently playing with magamps and hence the question. Best regards, Piotr
Jan Panteltje wrote:

> I already told ye, > 'solid state diode' -> tunnel diode. > If you do not know 'tunnel diode' then look up Esaki diode perhaps.
I know of tunnel diodes and I like the idea. The available ones are low-power, but that can be amplified. Best regards, Piotr
On 03/11/2015 15:54, John Larkin wrote:
> > You can also make an amplifier or an oscillator using varicap and > rectifier diodes, but it also needs an AC pump. > > Since nobody has done what you suggest in about 200 years of > tinkering, I suspect it can't be done. >
I recall seeing a late 1950s "all diode audio amplifier" circuit, it was class-D pwm and used only 2 terminal active devices. As well as regular rectifier diodes it used 4 layer diodes as relaxation oscilators! piglet
On 03/11/2015 10:45, Piotr Wyderski wrote:
> Is it at all possible to build an oscillator entirely from > non-linear magnetics (OK, solid state diodes are allowed)? > > Best regards, Piotr
There is such a thing as the "parametric transformer" about which I know nothing but assuming it works like a varactor diode parametric amplifier then I suppose it could be made to oscillate, I guess it needs a higher frequency pump to provide the power source? piglet
On Wednesday, November 4, 2015 at 12:55:42 AM UTC-8, piglet wrote:
> On 03/11/2015 10:45, Piotr Wyderski wrote: > > Is it at all possible to build an oscillator entirely from > > non-linear magnetics (OK, solid state diodes are allowed)?
> There is such a thing as the "parametric transformer" about which I know > nothing but ...
Magnetic amplifiers are in the general class of 'parametric amplifiers'; I think some of the ferroresonant tricks were given names such as "parametric transformer", but one would have to search a lot of old sales brochures to be sure.