OT: More Win7 Crap

Started by Jim Thompson September 13, 2015
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:42:12 -0400, Martin Riddle
<martin_rid@verizon.net> Gave us:

>On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:38:16 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote: > >>On 9/13/2015 4:37 PM, Jim Thompson wrote: >>> OT: More Win7 Crap... >>> >>> Periodically I'm getting "Some printing features are currently >>> unavailable", or some phrase similar to that. >>> >>> Like, I can print to my hp Laser Jet P2015dn, but not be able to >>> select double-sided ?? >>> >>> Never happened with WinXP. >>> >>> Any idea of the cause? >> >>Most likely it has something to do with the printer. Get rid of the >>printer and you won't have this problem. > >The LaserJet pro 400 m401n is on sale this month. >But theres no duplexer. So no gain. > > >Cheers
http://www.costco.com/HP-LaserJet-Pro-M476dw-Multifunction-Color-Printer.product.100119559.html Far better.
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 15:29:38 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> Gave us:

>Particularly I have enjoyed that it complains of low toner, but prints >on forever until _I_personally_ decide that the contrast is fading.
So you have never removed a toner cartridge and re-balanced the remaining toner "internal grade" so it prints another thousand without any fading?
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:07:20 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> Gave us:

>I've been very happy with my two new Dells with Win7. They are fast, >stable, quiet, and, after some bashing, very XP looking. >
You choose the most stupid things to waste personal time on.
>I did have to fetch a new HP printer driver. It took about 40 minutes >to install, hung at 99% done, then aborted with a timeout error >message. After a reboot, the printer works file. I guess 99% of a >driver is all it needs. > >But no way will I consider Win 10. Or allowing auto upgrades on 7.
I have done ONLY manual upgrades on EVERYTHING, including Mozilla and Adobe crap, for years. Since before Vista.
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:24:25 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
Gave us:

>I guess KB3035583 is a zombie that doesn't want to stay dead (or >hidden). You will be upgraded. Resistance if futile.
One cannot lay a finger upon any member of the bork without getting porked. Oh look.... I dropped my soap...
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 00:02:21 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
<DLU1@DecadentLinuxUser.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:42:12 -0400, Martin Riddle ><martin_rid@verizon.net> Gave us: > >>On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:38:16 -0400, rickman <gnuarm@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>>On 9/13/2015 4:37 PM, Jim Thompson wrote: >>>> OT: More Win7 Crap... >>>> >>>> Periodically I'm getting "Some printing features are currently >>>> unavailable", or some phrase similar to that. >>>> >>>> Like, I can print to my hp Laser Jet P2015dn, but not be able to >>>> select double-sided ?? >>>> >>>> Never happened with WinXP. >>>> >>>> Any idea of the cause? >>> >>>Most likely it has something to do with the printer. Get rid of the >>>printer and you won't have this problem. >> >>The LaserJet pro 400 m401n is on sale this month. >>But theres no duplexer. So no gain. >> >> >>Cheers >http://www.costco.com/HP-LaserJet-Pro-M476dw-Multifunction-Color-Printer.product.100119559.html > >Far better.
The general rule with HP laser printers is that a set of toner cartriges will cost about as much as the printer. And the printers come with "starter doses", partially filled cartriges. So only buy an HP printer if you intend to use it seldom. Remember when HP had integrity? Well, you may be too young.
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 00:10:21 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
<DLU1@DecadentLinuxUser.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:07:20 -0700, John Larkin ><jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> Gave us: > >>I've been very happy with my two new Dells with Win7. They are fast, >>stable, quiet, and, after some bashing, very XP looking. >> > > You choose the most stupid things to waste personal time on.
PCs? You sort of need one to do electronic design these days.
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 21:16:43 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> Gave us:

>The general rule with HP laser printers is that a set of toner >cartriges will cost about as much as the printer. And the printers >come with "starter doses", partially filled cartriges.
So what? They are still filled with enough to keep most consumers going for a year (easily, longer even), and a full set of new toner cartridges with the full load gives them new life for even longer. Very reliable physical print engine and transport hardware as well.
> >So only buy an HP printer if you intend to use it seldom.
You ain't real bright. Brother and many of the others are lame in other areas. Longevity being the main one, and that has nothing to do with the toner cartridge fill level. Doh! The only viable "other good maker" is Xerox.
> >Remember when HP had integrity? Well, you may be too young. >
HP used to be far more than a printer Mfgr. They DO have integrity with what they make right now. Keysight has theirs. You seem to be too stupid to know how or what to measure, so your remarks carry zero credence. But hey... you also think that the Space Shuttle Program produced nothing useful, and are stupid enough to make the same retarded declarations about the ISS. Real scientists who see you spout that horseshit know right where your head is at. Firmly up your ass.
On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 21:38:15 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> Gave us:

>On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 00:10:21 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno ><DLU1@DecadentLinuxUser.org> wrote: > >>On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 17:07:20 -0700, John Larkin >><jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> Gave us: >> >>>I've been very happy with my two new Dells with Win7. They are fast, >>>stable, quiet, and, after some bashing, very XP looking. >>> >> >> You choose the most stupid things to waste personal time on. > >PCs? You sort of need one to do electronic design these days. >
Do not 'need' to sit there with your thumb up your ass, fuddling with one "to make it look like XP" to make use of it though, dumbass. Then, you ask in here about things you then claim that you have someone else make effective. You should have washed that thumb off before sticking it back into your mouth.
On Mon, 14 Sep 2015 00:41:18 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
<DLU1@DecadentLinuxUser.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 21:16:43 -0700, John Larkin ><jjlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> Gave us: > >>The general rule with HP laser printers is that a set of toner >>cartriges will cost about as much as the printer. And the printers >>come with "starter doses", partially filled cartriges. > > So what? They are still filled with enough to keep most consumers >going for a year (easily, longer even), and a full set of new toner >cartridges with the full load gives them new life for even longer. Very >reliable physical print engine and transport hardware as well. >> >>So only buy an HP printer if you intend to use it seldom. > > You ain't real bright.
And you ain't real polite. If you're going into business for yourself, you'd better learn some manners. People don't do biz with people they don't like. Brother and many of the others are lame in
>other areas. Longevity being the main one, and that has nothing to do >with the toner cartridge fill level. Doh!
We got a great new Sharp color digital copier, networked as a printer and scanner. They sell toner by the bucket. It does beautiful color printing, up to B size. We're retiring our big HP 5100 color printer; the cartrige set now costs about $1000.
> > The only viable "other good maker" is Xerox.
Is Xerox still in business? I haven't seen a Xerox product in ages.
Is this when I get to say "Doh" ?
> > They DO have integrity with what they make right now. > > Keysight has theirs. > > You seem to be too stupid to know how or what to measure, so your >remarks carry zero credence. > > But hey... you also think that the Space Shuttle Program produced >nothing useful, and are stupid enough to make the same retarded >declarations about the ISS.
Name a few useful things.
"DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno"  wrote in message

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 18:24:25 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
Gave us:

>I guess KB3035583 is a zombie that doesn't want to stay dead (or >hidden). You will be upgraded. Resistance if futile.
One cannot lay a finger upon any member of the bork without getting porked. Oh look.... I dropped my soap... A similar scenario is presumably how you came about ???