Forums

Xenon flash tube

Started by bitrex September 7, 2015
I got several of these xenon flash tubes down at Rat Shack on sale for
less than 2 bucks each.

http://www.radioshack.com/long-life-xenon-strobe-tube/2721145.html

Anyone have a design for a junk box circuit that could be used for
experimenting with these, say firing them from a TTL logic output?
On 9/7/2015 8:20 PM, bitrex wrote:
> I got several of these xenon flash tubes down at Rat Shack on sale for > less than 2 bucks each. > > http://www.radioshack.com/long-life-xenon-strobe-tube/2721145.html > > Anyone have a design for a junk box circuit that could be used for > experimenting with these, say firing them from a TTL logic output?
I guess this works but I don't have anything like that trigger transformer in stock... http://www.bristolwatch.com/ele/
On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 20:20:14 -0400, bitrex
<bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote:

>I got several of these xenon flash tubes down at Rat Shack on sale for >less than 2 bucks each. > >http://www.radioshack.com/long-life-xenon-strobe-tube/2721145.html > >Anyone have a design for a junk box circuit that could be used for >experimenting with these, say firing them from a TTL logic output?
Well, you apply 300 volts across the end leads, with electrolytic caps to store as many joules as you think it can stand; that's not specified. Wild guess might be 30ish. Than apply a fast high-voltage spike to the center lead, through a trigger transformer. Google images, schematic photoflash. TTL could fire a small SCR to pop the trigger transformer.
"bitrex" <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I got several of these xenon flash tubes down at Rat Shack on sale for less >than 2 bucks each. > > http://www.radioshack.com/long-life-xenon-strobe-tube/2721145.html > > Anyone have a design for a junk box circuit that could be used for > experimenting with these, say firing them from a TTL logic output?
Google is your friend. http://www.bristolwatch.com/ele/ You need a trigger transformer, a 400 volt SCR, a storage cap, and a HV power supply of about 250 volts or so.
On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 20:20:14 -0400, bitrex <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net>
Gave us:

>I got several of these xenon flash tubes down at Rat Shack on sale for >less than 2 bucks each. > >http://www.radioshack.com/long-life-xenon-strobe-tube/2721145.html > >Anyone have a design for a junk box circuit that could be used for >experimenting with these, say firing them from a TTL logic output?
Look up "SCR strobe light circuit". It was a lab experiment we did way back in the mid seventies.
> On 9/7/2015 8:20 PM, bitrex wrote: >> I got several of these xenon flash tubes down at Rat Shack on sale for >> less than 2 bucks each. >> >> http://www.radioshack.com/long-life-xenon-strobe-tube/2721145.html >> >> Anyone have a design for a junk box circuit that could be used for >> experimenting with these, say firing them from a TTL logic output? > > I guess this works but I don't have anything like that trigger transformer > in stock... > > http://www.bristolwatch.com/ele/
Find a store that processes the disposable film cameras and see if they will give you a few. The ones with the built in flash will have everything but the SCR. Most times they are free for the taking.
On 9/7/2015 8:39 PM, Tom Miller wrote:
> > "bitrex" <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote in message > news:55ee2b1c$0$17143$4c5ecfc7@frugalusenet.com... >> On 9/7/2015 8:20 PM, bitrex wrote: >>> I got several of these xenon flash tubes down at Rat Shack on sale for >>> less than 2 bucks each. >>> >>> http://www.radioshack.com/long-life-xenon-strobe-tube/2721145.html >>> >>> Anyone have a design for a junk box circuit that could be used for >>> experimenting with these, say firing them from a TTL logic output? >> >> I guess this works but I don't have anything like that trigger >> transformer in stock... >> >> http://www.bristolwatch.com/ele/ > > Find a store that processes the disposable film cameras and see if they > will give you a few. The ones with the built in flash will have > everything but the SCR. Most times they are free for the taking. >
They still make those?
On Mon, 7 Sep 2015 21:30:24 -0400, bitrex
<bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 9/7/2015 8:39 PM, Tom Miller wrote: >> >> "bitrex" <bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote in message >> news:55ee2b1c$0$17143$4c5ecfc7@frugalusenet.com... >>> On 9/7/2015 8:20 PM, bitrex wrote: >>>> I got several of these xenon flash tubes down at Rat Shack on sale for >>>> less than 2 bucks each. >>>> >>>> http://www.radioshack.com/long-life-xenon-strobe-tube/2721145.html >>>> >>>> Anyone have a design for a junk box circuit that could be used for >>>> experimenting with these, say firing them from a TTL logic output? >>> >>> I guess this works but I don't have anything like that trigger >>> transformer in stock... >>> >>> http://www.bristolwatch.com/ele/ >> >> Find a store that processes the disposable film cameras and see if they >> will give you a few. The ones with the built in flash will have >> everything but the SCR. Most times they are free for the taking. >> > >They still make those?
Sure. They're quite common at weddings.

<https://www.google.com/search?q=xenon+flash+schematic&tbm=isch> <https://www.google.com/search?q=xenon+strobe+schematic&tbm=isch> or just buy the parts for a kit: <http://stores.ebay.com/Xenon-Flash-Tubes/_i.html?_fsub=2679437010> Drivel: My palatial office building has a chronic security problem from the bums and deadbeats camping out behind the building. So, I installed a motion detector, which drives a xenon strobe light. It doesn't do anything useful, except produce enough light for the security cameras to take decent pictures. It's main purpose is to act as a bum repellent. They have no idea what the device might be, and don't particularly want to find out. So, they leave. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/strbfaq.htm Everybody's got a little light under the sun. Matt Roberds