Forums

LCD cleaning

Started by Don Y August 15, 2015
<https://www.thecloroxcompany.com/products/ingredients-inside/en-us/cloroxcommercialsolutions/cloroxcommercialsolutionsformula409glasssurfacecleaner/> mentions "silica" as an ingredient.
>> Yeah, a friend suggested that. But, it's also "not over the counter" >> (i.e., would need to be "mixed" prior to use) > > Make up a gallon of your favored elixir and ship it to him. It should > last many years if he doesn't spill it. He's unlikely to need another > gallon in his lifetime, so I don't see any reason to insist on > commercial availability.
I don't want to be in the "supply" business. Much easier to just say, "Go to your local <store> and buy a bottle of <whatever>" And, I'm out of the equation, thereafter. IME, people will have you "do" for them pretty much all that you are *willing* to do for them! :<
>>> Ammonia >>> has similar problems so that should also be used carefully. I also >> >> Yes. Hence no Windex. > > There are many home made window cleaner formulas on the internet that > do not use ammonia. I did a quick survey and found that most use > alcohol, vinegar, or both as the active ingredient.
Hence *my* choice of alcohol. I'm not fond of the "vinegar" smell. (And, if you tell someone to use vinegar, they tend to think "all vinegars are created equal" -- which they aren't, esp for an app like this.)
>> I think it is a matter of continued use that causes the problem. >> You'd probably never see it from incremental use. But, compare >> one that had been cleaned X times against one that hadn't... > > Most users are thoroughly confused as to what to use to clean their > display. When it arrives on my bench, I'm often the first and last > person to ever clean the screen. This is one case where the industry > FUD (fear uncertainty doubt) is beneficial. I have a collection of > cheap 1" paint brushes in the office. Anyone with a dust problem gets > handed one with instruction to use it LIGHTLY to remove the dust. The > solvents are for grease and ossified food, that cannot be removed with > a brush.
We have *lots* of dust, here. Probably a consequence of the low humidity (search for "Haboob"). So, it is not uncommon for things to end up *coated* in short order. I've had to make covers for my monitors, keyboards to help cut down on the amount of cleaning required.
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:52:23 -0700, Don Y <this@is.not.me.com> wrote:

>On 8/17/2015 11:38 AM, Jim Thompson wrote: >> On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:22:11 -0700, Don Y <this@is.not.me.com> wrote: >> >>> On 8/17/2015 8:29 AM, John S wrote: >>>> On 8/16/2015 6:39 PM, Don Y wrote: >>> >>>>> Touchscreen in the car is another annoyance. Perpetually trying to >>>>> clean fingerprints off it (which make it harder to read in certain >>>>> light). >>>> >>>> Same with my iPhone. The touch screen gets dirty with fingerprints (always) and >>>> with food (occasionally). >>> >>> Wipe it on your thigh! :> >>> >>> At least a phone is relatively easy to reorient to minimize the (current) >>> visibility of "fingerprints". Not as easy to do with larger, stationary >>> displays. >>> >>> But, folks think of the "elegance" of a touchscreen without considering >>> the maintenance/practical issues. Sort of like stainless steel (or >>> *black*!) kitchen appliances. >> >> I have designed touchscreen controller chips... I wouldn't own one ;-) > >It's becoming very difficult to do so, nowadays. Between phones and >cars, its hard to escape the (perceived -- by manufacture) "need" >for one.
Yep. I have an ancient LG VN251 with full qwerty keyboard. Sooner or later it will die and I find no suitable replacements available :-(
>It was a significant concern of ours when looking for a >vehicle -- I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road to >ensure my finger touches the *correct* spot on a FEATURELESS, >SMOOTH surface in order to *do* <whatever>. > >[E.g., I can dial *my* telephone with my eyes closed AND hand behind >my back.] > >Some of the vehicles we looked at touted (genuine) iPads in the dash. >C'mon... go out to the car to surf the web? That's almost as inane >as sitting down at your computer to "listen to music", "watch TV", >etc.
I have a Garmin nuvi... its touch-screen is reasonable to use; but telephones... telephones are for talking ;-) ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
On 8/17/2015 12:13 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:

>> [E.g., I can dial *my* telephone with my eyes closed AND hand behind >> my back.] >> >> Some of the vehicles we looked at touted (genuine) iPads in the dash. >> C'mon... go out to the car to surf the web? That's almost as inane >> as sitting down at your computer to "listen to music", "watch TV", >> etc. > > I have a Garmin nuvi... its touch-screen is reasonable to use; but > telephones... telephones are for talking ;-)
Somewhere along the line, people forgot that! I find it amusing to watch people texting back and forth -- and staring at the screen each time they hit SEND in anticipation of the expected reply! *Call* the other party, exchange a few words and be *done* with it! The big (sole?) advantage of SMS, email, etc. is the ability to shift, in time, portions of the "conversation" (so both parties need not be "available" at the same instant in time -- as would be required for a voice conversation) *and* to provide documentation as to the content of the exchange. If you're "texting back and forth", the time shifting aspect is immaterial. And, I suspect (99.837446% of the time), documenting the exchange is equally unimportant! You've saved no time (cuz you're ACTIVELY waiting for the reply) and gained no convenience.

Dumb error by Clorox. Dimethicone is a silicone, not a silica. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydimethylsiloxane> I didn't think Clorox was dumb enough to add an abrasive that can scratch glass into a glass cleaner. The description also doesn't sound like an abrasive: Dimethicone/silica/PEG distearates are used mainly as defoamers, although they are also emollients, lubricants and thickeners in cleaning products. They can be used to give formulas a smooth coating, while enabling evaporation without leaving a greasy residue. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On Mon, 17 Aug 2015 11:22:11 -0700, Don Y <this@is.not.me.com> wrote:

>On 8/17/2015 8:29 AM, John S wrote: >> On 8/16/2015 6:39 PM, Don Y wrote: > >>> Touchscreen in the car is another annoyance. Perpetually trying to >>> clean fingerprints off it (which make it harder to read in certain >>> light). >> >> Same with my iPhone. The touch screen gets dirty with fingerprints (always) and >> with food (occasionally). > >Wipe it on your thigh! :> > >At least a phone is relatively easy to reorient to minimize the (current) >visibility of "fingerprints". Not as easy to do with larger, stationary >displays.
My glasses are pretty small, too, but I'd rather not scratch either.
>But, folks think of the "elegance" of a touchscreen without considering >the maintenance/practical issues. Sort of like stainless steel (or >*black*!) kitchen appliances.
I think touch screens (or SS appliances, for that matter) are worth every bit of the "problems" they cause. I wouldn't be without them, on the phone (kinda hard to do), tablet, or laptop. BTW, it's possible to make SS that doesn't show finger prints (black, too, but that's a different discussion).
Don Y <this@is.not.me.com> wrote:
> Hi, > > I've always advocated "100 proof"[1] alcohol and a microfiber rag to > clean LCD monitors. Is there a commercial product (that doesn't > have silly additives, dyes, etc.) that I can recommend to a friend > for the same purpose (albeit much more expensive)? > > Thx, > --don > > [1] Of course, you *make* this from distilled water and isopropyl > alcohol -- save the "good stuff" for drinking! :>
Not sure what's wrong with windex sprayed on an old tshirt. works for me.
Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 16:39:49 -0700, Don Y <this@is.not.me.com> wrote: > >>I think the mantra re: masking tape is that it should only be used >>as a TEMPORARY measure. Let it dry out (or get BAKED on) and you'll >>never get the last bits off without mechanical intervention! > > The blue masking tape doesn't harden, but costs 3 times as much. > > I managed to find a new way to destroy something with tape. Someone > bashed in the red tail light on my car in the parking lot. I didn't > have time to deal with it, so I taped up the crack and hole with clear > cellophane packing tape. (It was raining). I then forgot about it > for about 6 months. The tape came off easily enough, but the glue > remained attached to the red tail light lens. I attacked the glue > with every solvent that I could find that didn't also attack the > acrylic plastic. I eventually determined that the solvent in the > packing tape glue had softened the plastic which then displaced the > glue. I'll eventually patch it back together and buff it smooth, but > the solvent action of the adhesive was rather a surprise. I can only > imagine what packing tape will do to a plastic film coated LCD screen.
Did you try goo gone? It's amazing stuff, even better than pure d-Limonene.
On 8/18/2015 1:45 PM, Cydrome Leader wrote:
> Don Y <this@is.not.me.com> wrote: >> Hi, >> >> I've always advocated "100 proof"[1] alcohol and a microfiber rag to >> clean LCD monitors. Is there a commercial product (that doesn't >> have silly additives, dyes, etc.) that I can recommend to a friend >> for the same purpose (albeit much more expensive)? >> >> Thx, >> --don >> >> [1] Of course, you *make* this from distilled water and isopropyl >> alcohol -- save the "good stuff" for drinking! :> > > Not sure what's wrong with windex sprayed on an old tshirt. works for me.
That's exactly what I use if I encounter stubborn spots. Never spray directly on the monitor, just wet your soft cloth with it as you say.
On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 18:49:30 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
<presence@MUNGEpanix.com> Gave us:

I thought you guys said you were in electronics industry. Tidy pen, boys. http://www.qsource.com/p-23752-microcare-mcc-pen1-tidypen-10-ml.aspx
<presence@MUNGEpanix.com> wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com> wrote: >> On Sun, 16 Aug 2015 16:39:49 -0700, Don Y <this@is.not.me.com> wrote: >> >>>I think the mantra re: masking tape is that it should only be used >>>as a TEMPORARY measure. Let it dry out (or get BAKED on) and you'll >>>never get the last bits off without mechanical intervention! >> >> The blue masking tape doesn't harden, but costs 3 times as much. >> >> I managed to find a new way to destroy something with tape. Someone >> bashed in the red tail light on my car in the parking lot. I didn't >> have time to deal with it, so I taped up the crack and hole with clear >> cellophane packing tape. (It was raining). I then forgot about it >> for about 6 months. The tape came off easily enough, but the glue >> remained attached to the red tail light lens. I attacked the glue >> with every solvent that I could find that didn't also attack the >> acrylic plastic. I eventually determined that the solvent in the >> packing tape glue had softened the plastic which then displaced the >> glue. I'll eventually patch it back together and buff it smooth, but >> the solvent action of the adhesive was rather a surprise. I can only >> imagine what packing tape will do to a plastic film coated LCD screen.
>Did you try goo gone? It's amazing stuff, even better than pure >d-Limonene.
Yes. I have a collection of various "removes everything" solvents. I think I tried 2 or 3 types. Nothing would touch it because it wasn't the glue that was the problem. The glue had softened the acrylic plastic which then displaced the glue. I was trying to remove acrylic plastic that looked like it was hardened glue. I've never seen that before and hope to never see it again. If I get inspired, I'll take a photo as I'm still driving around with the broken tail light, now covered with translucent red auto light repair tape (that hopefully won't do the same thing). -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558