Forums

Irrigation valves - anybody use one?

Started by mkr5000 June 8, 2015
I know it's off topic a bit but this is my go to group for real answers. Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 24vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need for DC but these things run on AC).

Does the chatter go away with water pressure? I just bench tested it dry. THANKS

On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 18:12:11 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000 <mikerbgr@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I know it's off topic a bit but this is my go to group for real answers. Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 24vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need for DC but these things run on AC). > >Does the chatter go away with water pressure? I just bench tested it dry. THANKS
The valve operates on delta-pressure... the control voltage only operates a AIR needle-valve which then operates the water valve. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Thanks Jim -- so is the chatter when it's dry and not connected to water to be expected? I'll assume these need a continuous 24vac to stay open rather than a pulse? It's a Rainbird CP075 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rain-Bird-3-4-in-FPT-In-Line-Valve-CP075/202078357
On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 9:12:18 PM UTC-4, mkr5000 wrote:
> I know it's off topic a bit but this is my go to group for real answers. Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 24vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need for DC but these things run on AC). > > Does the chatter go away with water pressure? I just bench tested it dry. THANKS
By the way -- googled delta pressure to learn about it -- out to lunch on whatever that is.
On Tue, 9 Jun 2015 07:16:47 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000 <mikerbgr@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 10:05:29 PM UTC-4, Jim Thompson wrote: >> On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 18:12:11 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000 <mikerbgr@gmail.com> >> wrote: >> >> >I know it's off topic a bit but this is my go to group for real answers. Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 24vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need for DC but these things run on AC). >> > >> >Does the chatter go away with water pressure? I just bench tested it dry. THANKS >> >> The valve operates on delta-pressure... the control voltage only >> operates a AIR needle-valve which then operates the water valve. >> >> ...Jim Thompson >> -- >> | James E.Thompson | mens | >> | Analog Innovations | et | >> | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | >> | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | >> | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | >> | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | >> >> I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food. > >Thanks Jim -- so is the chatter when it's dry and not connected to water to be expected? I'll assume these need a continuous 24vac to stay open rather than a pulse? It's a Rainbird CP075 > >http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rain-Bird-3-4-in-FPT-In-Line-Valve-CP075/202078357
I don't know about the chatter... it's been years since I did it my self... my yard guy does all that now ;-) ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Here's a video that demonstrates how a Rainbird valve works... <https://vimeo.com/119085959> ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
On Tuesday, June 9, 2015 at 11:15:16 AM UTC-4, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jun 2015 07:19:22 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000 <mikerbgr@gmail.com> > wrote: > > >On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 9:12:18 PM UTC-4, mkr5000 wrote: > >> I know it's off topic a bit but this is my go to group for real answers. Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 24vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need for DC but these things run on AC). > >> > >> Does the chatter go away with water pressure? I just bench tested it dry. THANKS > > > >By the way -- googled delta pressure to learn about it -- out to lunch on whatever that is. > > Here's a video that demonstrates how a Rainbird valve works... > > <https://vimeo.com/119085959> > > ...Jim Thompson > -- > | James E.Thompson | mens | > | Analog Innovations | et | > | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | > | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | > | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | > | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | > > I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Don't know why I didn't run into that video when i was searching -- yes, it looks like it needs water in the solenoid -- I bet it's that plunger that's making the chatter and it's the water that keeps it quiet. Thanks.
On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 02:12:18 UTC+1, mkr5000  wrote:
> I know it's off topic a bit but this is my go to group for real answers. Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 24vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need for DC but these things run on AC). > > Does the chatter go away with water pressure? I just bench tested it dry. THANKS
Stuff like that used to be all 240v, no transformer. NT
On Tue, 9 Jun 2015 09:21:20 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr@gmail.com wrote:

>On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 02:12:18 UTC+1, mkr5000 wrote: >> I know it's off topic a bit but this is my go to group for real answers. Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 24vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need for DC but these things run on AC). >> >> Does the chatter go away with water pressure? I just bench tested it dry. THANKS > >Stuff like that used to be all 240v, no transformer. > > >NT
Where? That certainly wouldn't meet US safety codes. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 17:30:20 UTC+1, Jim Thompson  wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jun 2015 09:21:20 -0700 (PDT), nt wrote: > >On Tuesday, 9 June 2015 02:12:18 UTC+1, mkr5000 wrote:
> >> I know it's off topic a bit but this is my go to group for real answers. Have any of you guys messed with inline irrigation valves? I never have and have a new Rainbird valve that needs 24vac so I simply connected it to a 24vac (20va) control transformer I had and the solenoid chatters like crazy, so quickly disconnected it. (Usually when I hear chatter it means a need for DC but these things run on AC). > >> > >> Does the chatter go away with water pressure? I just bench tested it dry. THANKS > > > >Stuff like that used to be all 240v, no transformer.
> Where? That certainly wouldn't meet US safety codes.
No, of course. There was also no rcd/gfci and no equipotential bonding. Here in UK in the 70s. The water spray was all over the (insulated) mains flex feeding it. NT