Forums

PCIe card with FPGA and DAC

Started by John Larkin June 8, 2015

I got a call from a really nice guy who has a tiny company in the
Bahamas. Our gear is too expensive for his application, but it could
be done with a PCIe PC-plugin board that has an FPGA and a fast DAC.
It would need analog bandwidth in the 30 MHz range, maybe 100M
samples/sec or so. He would need help to program the FPGA, since the
signal set that he needs to generate is kind of weird, but not
actually super complex.

So, does anybody know of an existing board that would work? I'd expect
that lots of people make stuff like this and are used to helping
customers customize them. We're talking tens of systems here, not
enough for a custom board design.

I'll do a little googling myself, but I thought I'd ask.


-- 

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc
picosecond timing   precision measurement 

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Den tirsdag den 9. juni 2015 kl. 00.32.36 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin:
> I got a call from a really nice guy who has a tiny company in the > Bahamas. Our gear is too expensive for his application, but it could > be done with a PCIe PC-plugin board that has an FPGA and a fast DAC. > It would need analog bandwidth in the 30 MHz range, maybe 100M > samples/sec or so. He would need help to program the FPGA, since the > signal set that he needs to generate is kind of weird, but not > actually super complex. > > So, does anybody know of an existing board that would work? I'd expect > that lots of people make stuff like this and are used to helping > customers customize them. We're talking tens of systems here, not > enough for a custom board design. > > I'll do a little googling myself, but I thought I'd ask. >
does it have to be pcie? else, http://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/26572-Red-Pitaya-Board EURO 199, zynq7010, dual adc/dac 125Ms/14bit -Lasse
On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 15:32:30 -0700, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

> > >I got a call from a really nice guy who has a tiny company in the >Bahamas. Our gear is too expensive for his application, but it could >be done with a PCIe PC-plugin board that has an FPGA and a fast DAC. >It would need analog bandwidth in the 30 MHz range, maybe 100M >samples/sec or so. He would need help to program the FPGA, since the >signal set that he needs to generate is kind of weird, but not >actually super complex. > >So, does anybody know of an existing board that would work? I'd expect >that lots of people make stuff like this and are used to helping >customers customize them. We're talking tens of systems here, not >enough for a custom board design. > >I'll do a little googling myself, but I thought I'd ask.
Theres a MAX 10 dev board, but its USB 2.0 NI comes to mind, they had a PCIe FPGA board to go with their LabView FPGA complier. MCCdaq comes up empty. Cheers
On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 19:21:16 -0400, Martin Riddle
<martin_ridd@verizon.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 Jun 2015 15:32:30 -0700, John Larkin ><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: > >> >> >>I got a call from a really nice guy who has a tiny company in the >>Bahamas. Our gear is too expensive for his application, but it could >>be done with a PCIe PC-plugin board that has an FPGA and a fast DAC. >>It would need analog bandwidth in the 30 MHz range, maybe 100M >>samples/sec or so. He would need help to program the FPGA, since the >>signal set that he needs to generate is kind of weird, but not >>actually super complex. >> >>So, does anybody know of an existing board that would work? I'd expect >>that lots of people make stuff like this and are used to helping >>customers customize them. We're talking tens of systems here, not >>enough for a custom board design. >> >>I'll do a little googling myself, but I thought I'd ask. > > >Theres a MAX 10 dev board, but its USB 2.0 >NI comes to mind, they had a PCIe FPGA board to go with their LabView >FPGA complier. > >MCCdaq comes up empty. > >Cheers
bittware ??? Cheers
On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 16:13:30 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
<langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:

>Den tirsdag den 9. juni 2015 kl. 00.32.36 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin: >> I got a call from a really nice guy who has a tiny company in the >> Bahamas. Our gear is too expensive for his application, but it could >> be done with a PCIe PC-plugin board that has an FPGA and a fast DAC. >> It would need analog bandwidth in the 30 MHz range, maybe 100M >> samples/sec or so. He would need help to program the FPGA, since the >> signal set that he needs to generate is kind of weird, but not >> actually super complex. >> >> So, does anybody know of an existing board that would work? I'd expect >> that lots of people make stuff like this and are used to helping >> customers customize them. We're talking tens of systems here, not >> enough for a custom board design. >> >> I'll do a little googling myself, but I thought I'd ask. >> > >does it have to be pcie? > >else, http://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/26572-Red-Pitaya-Board > >EURO 199, zynq7010, dual adc/dac 125Ms/14bit > >-Lasse >
That might work. He needs some fast realtime (roughly 10 us) digital control of pre-programmed analog stuff, but that might be done through that 8-bit digital port, with a cable from a parallel interface board in his PC. Vaguely like hitting piano keys. Thanks -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On 2015-06-08, John Larkin <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:
> > > I got a call from a really nice guy who has a tiny company in the > Bahamas. Our gear is too expensive for his application, but it could > be done with a PCIe PC-plugin board that has an FPGA and a fast DAC. > It would need analog bandwidth in the 30 MHz range, maybe 100M > samples/sec or so. He would need help to program the FPGA, since the > signal set that he needs to generate is kind of weird, but not > actually super complex. > > So, does anybody know of an existing board that would work? I'd expect > that lots of people make stuff like this and are used to helping > customers customize them. We're talking tens of systems here, not > enough for a custom board design. > > I'll do a little googling myself, but I thought I'd ask.
Sounds like a video card. no FPGA, but you get oodles of RAM and a massively parallel GPU. dunno if the DAC has enough bits or not. Jan did DVB-S in CPU software with VGA output. -- umop apisdn
> Jan did DVB-S in CPU software with VGA output.
That would be nice to see! Do you have a link?
On a sunny day (Tue, 9 Jun 2015 22:31:08 +0100) it happened "Tomas D."
<mailsoc@gmial.com> wrote in <ml7lsf$6lm$1@dont-email.me>:

>> Jan did DVB-S in CPU software with VGA output. > >That would be nice to see! Do you have a link?
Are you talking about me? Dunno about 'VGA' output, but I did a DVB-S encoder + transmitter on the Raspberry Pi. There is a guy who made test cards using the graphics card, but that only works for pre-encoded still pictures, receivin gan harmonic IIRC. Sort of a wave form generator... and he did not release source either. So anyways I took the DVB-S spec, wrote the encoder myself, and released source, the first hardware was very simple, but works 100 %: http://panteltje.com/panteltje/raspberry_pi_dvb-s_transmitter/ Funny I was the first one in this side of the universe to release DVB-S encoder source code.. There is a later version now with better hardware. That will be used for sat uplink, well some code etc was posted here, it is sitting on a table waiting for the sat. Credits for the hardware go to a lot of other people, see website. On VGA, so if you need a fast 8 bit DAC, there are 3.
On Mon, 8 Jun 2015 16:13:30 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen
<langwadt@fonz.dk> wrote:

>Den tirsdag den 9. juni 2015 kl. 00.32.36 UTC+2 skrev John Larkin: >> I got a call from a really nice guy who has a tiny company in the >> Bahamas. Our gear is too expensive for his application, but it could >> be done with a PCIe PC-plugin board that has an FPGA and a fast DAC. >> It would need analog bandwidth in the 30 MHz range, maybe 100M >> samples/sec or so. He would need help to program the FPGA, since the >> signal set that he needs to generate is kind of weird, but not >> actually super complex. >> >> So, does anybody know of an existing board that would work? I'd expect >> that lots of people make stuff like this and are used to helping >> customers customize them. We're talking tens of systems here, not >> enough for a custom board design. >> >> I'll do a little googling myself, but I thought I'd ask. >> > >does it have to be pcie? > >else, http://shop.trenz-electronic.de/en/26572-Red-Pitaya-Board > >EURO 199, zynq7010, dual adc/dac 125Ms/14bit > >-Lasse >
He ordered the Red thing to play with. He did find an alternate board that costs 30x as much. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc picosecond timing precision measurement jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com