OT: Remote Access.

Started by Jim Thompson May 15, 2015
When I'm at my desk I access my Laptop and two PC's via a KVMP switch.

With the weather as nice as it is here in the Springtime of the
Southwest ( <100&#2013266096;F ;-)  I was wondering how I might do the same from
my patio via my wireless network... i.e. I want to emulate being the
keyboard, monitor and mouse of my PSpice machine via my Laptop.

What's the best way to do that?

                                        ...Jim Thompson

On 5/15/2015 6:23 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> When I'm at my desk I access my Laptop and two PC's via a KVMP switch. > > With the weather as nice as it is here in the Springtime of the > Southwest ( <100&#2013266096;F ;-) I was wondering how I might do the same from > my patio via my wireless network... i.e. I want to emulate being the > keyboard, monitor and mouse of my PSpice machine via my Laptop. > > What's the best way to do that? > > ...Jim Thompson >
An xterm over SSH. Oh, wait, you run Windows. ;) Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
Den l&#2013266168;rdag den 16. maj 2015 kl. 00.23.24 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:
> When I'm at my desk I access my Laptop and two PC's via a KVMP switch. > > With the weather as nice as it is here in the Springtime of the > Southwest ( <100&#2013266096;F ;-) I was wondering how I might do the same from > my patio via my wireless network... i.e. I want to emulate being the > keyboard, monitor and mouse of my PSpice machine via my Laptop. > > What's the best way to do that? >
if your windows isn't home versions remote desktop is build in and works very well -Lasse
On Fri, 15 May 2015 15:23:20 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>When I'm at my desk I access my Laptop and two PC's via a KVMP switch. > >With the weather as nice as it is here in the Springtime of the >Southwest ( <100&#2013266096;F ;-) I was wondering how I might do the same from >my patio via my wireless network... i.e. I want to emulate being the >keyboard, monitor and mouse of my PSpice machine via my Laptop. > >What's the best way to do that? > > ...Jim Thompson
Microsoft Remote Desktop, Or if not then TightVNC works well too. Just make your spice machine a fixed IP address, so it doesnt change on you because of DHCP. Cheers
In article <5556723D.7000208@electrooptical.net>,
hobbs@electrooptical.net says...
> > On 5/15/2015 6:23 PM, Jim Thompson wrote: > > When I'm at my desk I access my Laptop and two PC's via a KVMP switch. > > > > With the weather as nice as it is here in the Springtime of the > > Southwest ( <100&#2013266096;F ;-) I was wondering how I might do the same
from
> > my patio via my wireless network... i.e. I want to emulate being the > > keyboard, monitor and mouse of my PSpice machine via my Laptop. > > > > What's the best way to do that? > > > > ...Jim Thompson > > > An xterm over SSH. > > Oh, wait, you run Windows. ;) > > Cheers > > Phil Hobbs
Years ago i used the "Brooklyn Bridge" today that does not work ofcourse, so we're left with things like the Remote DeskTop, VNC, PC anywhere etc.. Jamie
On 5/15/2015 4:15 PM, Martin Riddle wrote:
> On Fri, 15 May 2015 15:23:20 -0700, Jim Thompson > <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: > >> When I'm at my desk I access my Laptop and two PC's via a KVMP switch. >> >> With the weather as nice as it is here in the Springtime of the >> Southwest ( <100&#2013266096;F ;-) I was wondering how I might do the same from >> my patio via my wireless network... i.e. I want to emulate being the >> keyboard, monitor and mouse of my PSpice machine via my Laptop. >> >> What's the best way to do that? >> >> ...Jim Thompson > > Microsoft Remote Desktop, Or if not then TightVNC works well too. > > Just make your spice machine a fixed IP address, so it doesnt change > on you because of DHCP. > > Cheers >
+1 on tightvnc. Cross platform, so you can run it on just about anything ever made. Works great from your phone, but it will eat thru your data plan with lightning speed. Suggest you run the server as an application so you can start it only when needed. I don't think it's a particularly secure system. Try to use the same version on all machines. Somewhere between V1 and v2, some protocols changed so some of the features aren't compatible between versions. Biggest deficiency is no sound. I've never found a free desktop sharing app with sound that was sufficiently cross platform and didn't need a server in the middle to spy on you. If there is one, I'd like to hear about it.
In article <r6sclade5aen09ej7pknu06qs69tpfam47@4ax.com>, To-Email-Use-
The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com says...

> When I'm at my desk I access my Laptop and two PC's via a KVMP switch.
> With the weather as nice as it is here in the Springtime of the > Southwest ( <100&#2013266096;F ;-) I was wondering how I might do the same from > my patio via my wireless network... i.e. I want to emulate being the > keyboard, monitor and mouse of my PSpice machine via my Laptop.
> What's the best way to do that?
If all your PCs have internet, we used TeamViewer at my last job for remote access and support. Worked quite well. www.teamviewer.com

Teamviewer: <http://www.teamviewer.com> Runs on Windoze, Linux, OS/X, Android, IOS, and Win 8/RT. Free for personal use. I've tried various other remote control and admin programs, and found them lacking in various ways. Usually speed is a problem. Teamviewer is quite stable and very fast. If you run it on a small screen laptop, tablet, or smartphone, it will take some mental gymnastics to get used to the mouse pointer remaining in the middle of the screen, while the desktop moves around behind it. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
On 5/15/2015 3:23 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> When I'm at my desk I access my Laptop and two PC's via a KVMP switch. > > With the weather as nice as it is here in the Springtime of the > Southwest ( <100&#2013266096;F ;-) I was wondering how I might do the same from > my patio via my wireless network... i.e. I want to emulate being the > keyboard, monitor and mouse of my PSpice machine via my Laptop. > > What's the best way to do that?
First, make sure you are using a "modern" WiFi (older encryption schemes are easily hacked -- unless you don't care about folks snooping on your data *or* accessing your machine alongside you... or, while you're "busy elsewhere"). Likewise, make sure you have replaced the "default" password/SSID with something a bit more secure. [There are lots of other risk issues that you should consider; but, if you've already "made safe" your desktop machine, the same sorts of mechanisms can be applied to your wireless access (though that may require separate *steps*, depending on how your router is configured] Thereafter, you could use Windows Remote Desktop (start at "My Computer | Properties | Remote" on the "desktop" machine to enable the protocol). Or, VNC (a freebie that you should be be able to easily find and install via google -- there are also commercial variants if you like to pay for things). Or, TeamViewer. Or, GoToMeeting. Or, ... (there are a LOT of options!). Note that it won't be exactly the same as being *at* your desktop. Depending on the tool, bandwidth of your WiFi, amount of screen activity (and *where* it is located), you may find the "remote" to feel choppy/out-of-sync, at times. For SPICE work, probably not an issue. Watching a full motion 1080p video that is *playing* on your desktop (over this channel) would be a different story. E.g., you may want to think about how you use things like Skype with this setup (maybe run skype *on* the laptop, directly, over the WiFi link to the Internet) You could also just install the apps on the laptop and carry them with you!
On 05/16/2015 02:42 AM, Don Y wrote:
> On 5/15/2015 3:23 PM, Jim Thompson wrote: >> When I'm at my desk I access my Laptop and two PC's via a KVMP switch. >> >> With the weather as nice as it is here in the Springtime of the >> Southwest ( <100&#2013266096;F ;-) I was wondering how I might do the same from >> my patio via my wireless network... i.e. I want to emulate being the >> keyboard, monitor and mouse of my PSpice machine via my Laptop. >> >> What's the best way to do that? > > First, make sure you are using a "modern" WiFi (older encryption > schemes are easily hacked -- unless you don't care about folks > snooping on your data *or* accessing your machine alongside you... > or, while you're "busy elsewhere").
Yup. WPA2/AES by choice, though it still isn't that good. SoHo routers are notoriously insecure. I recently repurposed a couple of Netgear WND3700v4 units using OpenWRT, which is a much better protected system. Used ones are about $25 on eBay, so if you screw up and brick it, who cares? The distro installs really easily, so that wasn't much of a worry as it turned out. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net