Forums

HD Video Specs.?

Started by Jim Thompson May 30, 2014
Can someone direct me to some specifications for HD video?

I've had an inquiry regarding an HD video demodulator (FM), I'm
zeroing out with Google (probably not the right search buzz words).

Thanks!

                                        ...Jim Thompson

On 30/05/2014 14:15, Jim Thompson wrote:
> Can someone direct me to some specifications for HD video? > > I've had an inquiry regarding an HD video demodulator (FM), I'm > zeroing out with Google (probably not the right search buzz words). > > Thanks! > > ...Jim Thompson
HD video these days stays in the digital domain from acquisition to display unless you have some really arcane hardware. Then it will depend on which nationality of analogue HD video you have to handle. -- Regards, Martin Brown
"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
message news:su0ho9hc1h7sqc2vc8a5iviitis8s4j4fn@4ax.com...
FM? I bought one of these some time ago: http://enjoygadgets.com/blog/hdtv/2012/07/18/no-hdmi-port-on-your-tv-use-an-hdmi-to-vga-ypbpr-converter/ I still haven't used it but opening it up and looking at the chips led to the reference design for some or all of it. The big chip had a heatsink glued on but the other chips were revealling. Sorry I can't remember where the information is but the device is not very expensive. Old Guy
Jim Thompson wrote:
> Can someone direct me to some specifications for HD video? > > I've had an inquiry regarding an HD video demodulator (FM), I'm > zeroing out with Google (probably not the right search buzz words). >
FM? Really? That was only used for HDTV on satellites for Europe and AFAIK only until the early 90's, if that ever came off the ground. They had some tricks to compress the (humongous) bandwidth a bit but, expectedly, this whole HD system that the authorities tried to foist onto providers fizzled. I remember a Scandinavian early adopter saying that he now has the most expensive table lamp ever made. If this is really for analog HDTV I'd try the Smithsonian :-) -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
message news:su0ho9hc1h7sqc2vc8a5iviitis8s4j4fn@4ax.com...
> Can someone direct me to some specifications for HD video? > > I've had an inquiry regarding an HD video demodulator (FM), I'm > zeroing out with Google (probably not the right search buzz words).
Or did you mean FM as in videotape? If so then my previous reply was not very useful. Old Guy
I find it becoming increasingly difficult to buy videotape. It's going out of style, fast. The next round we'll probably have to purchase via the Internet. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On Friday, May 30, 2014 7:25:44 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
> Jim Thompson wrote: > > > Can someone direct me to some specifications for HD video? > > > I've had an inquiry regarding an HD video demodulator (FM), I'm > > zeroing out with Google (probably not the right search buzz words). > > FM? Really? That was only used for HDTV on satellites for Europe and > AFAIK only until the early 90's, if that ever came off the ground. They > had some tricks to compress the (humongous) bandwidth a bit but, > expectedly, this whole HD system that the authorities tried to foist > onto providers fizzled. I remember a Scandinavian early adopter saying > that he now has the most expensive table lamp ever made.
I think that's why they are pushing fiber to the homes. Uncompressed, 32 bits at 1000x1000 would be 32 Mb per frame, 960 Mb/s. Of course, they don't really want everybody to watch TV at that rate, but it's a good selling point.
edward.ming.lee@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, May 30, 2014 7:25:44 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote: >> Jim Thompson wrote: >> >>> Can someone direct me to some specifications for HD video? I've >>> had an inquiry regarding an HD video demodulator (FM), I'm >>> zeroing out with Google (probably not the right search buzz >>> words). >> FM? Really? That was only used for HDTV on satellites for Europe >> and AFAIK only until the early 90's, if that ever came off the >> ground. They had some tricks to compress the (humongous) bandwidth >> a bit but, expectedly, this whole HD system that the authorities >> tried to foist onto providers fizzled. I remember a Scandinavian >> early adopter saying that he now has the most expensive table lamp >> ever made. > > I think that's why they are pushing fiber to the homes. > Uncompressed, 32 bits at 1000x1000 would be 32 Mb per frame, 960 > Mb/s. Of course, they don't really want everybody to watch TV at > that rate, but it's a good selling point.
Now that they are de facto gradually getting their old monopoly status back many are doing ... nothing. The only thing our telco pushes is the price. Upwards. They always tout super-fast Internet for cheap in their TV ads but every time I called over many years I got the same answer. "Sorry, but that's not available in your area" ... "Do you know when it might become available?" ... "No, we don't". So all we get is 1.2Mbps. I think even Lithuania is at 10x that speed. And this ain't the hinterlands. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On Fri, 30 May 2014 07:25:44 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote: >> Can someone direct me to some specifications for HD video? >> >> I've had an inquiry regarding an HD video demodulator (FM), I'm >> zeroing out with Google (probably not the right search buzz words). >> > >FM? Really? That was only used for HDTV on satellites for Europe and >AFAIK only until the early 90's, if that ever came off the ground. They >had some tricks to compress the (humongous) bandwidth a bit but, >expectedly, this whole HD system that the authorities tried to foist >onto providers fizzled. I remember a Scandinavian early adopter saying >that he now has the most expensive table lamp ever made. > >If this is really for analog HDTV I'd try the Smithsonian :-)
If the OP really wanted analog HDTV, the best search word would be "HD-MAC", but are there any real broadcasts today or even in the 1990's ? I very much doubt that.
AFAIK HD-MAC is dead as a door knob. Since roughly two decades I believe. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/