Forums

Cheapest way to add USB and 5 V and 3.3V power to a RS232 PIC project

Started by Jan Panteltje April 15, 2014

Cheapest way to add USB and 5 V and 3.3V  power to a RS232 PIC project
 Got some ebay USB To RS232 TTL PL2303HX Auto Converter Module Converter Adapter for arduino
 ebay object: 360750555245 

Module has 5V and 3.3 V out (from the USB power).
The PL2303 works 100% OK with Linux native drivers.
Just connect to RS232 in and RS232 out, and power, 
and no need to write USB code, or get a special PIC, or bother about licenses,
or maxmin^h^him chips.
and all that at only 99 dollar cents a piece.
I just build one into an existing RS232 project, simplifies a lot of things.
Any terminal program or script can talk to it.

It is also a lot cheaper than external USB to RS232 adaptors (wut hte same chip!),
just solder the pins into your board.

# lsusb
Bus 005 Device 006: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port

PS it has a red LED too, to show USB is connected.
On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:30:13 +1000, Jan Panteltje <panteltje@yahoo.com>  
wrote:

> > > Cheapest way to add USB and 5 V and 3.3V power to a RS232 PIC project > Got some ebay USB To RS232 TTL PL2303HX Auto Converter Module Converter > Adapter for arduino > ebay object: 360750555245 > > Module has 5V and 3.3 V out (from the USB power). > The PL2303 works 100% OK with Linux native drivers. > Just connect to RS232 in and RS232 out, and power, > and no need to write USB code, or get a special PIC, or bother about > licenses, > or maxmin^h^him chips. > and all that at only 99 dollar cents a piece. > I just build one into an existing RS232 project, simplifies a lot of > things. > Any terminal program or script can talk to it. > > It is also a lot cheaper than external USB to RS232 adaptors (wut hte > same chip!), > just solder the pins into your board. > > # lsusb > Bus 005 Device 006: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial > Port > > PS it has a red LED too, to show USB is connected.
I've been told that PL2303 will not work with windows 8 and probably latter very soon (Win8 was a dog0
On a sunny day (Wed, 16 Apr 2014 01:26:07 +1000) it happened "David Eather"
<eather@tpg.com.au> wrote in <op.xec6htnzwei6gd@phenom-pc>:

>On Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:30:13 +1000, Jan Panteltje <panteltje@yahoo.com> >wrote: > >> >> >> Cheapest way to add USB and 5 V and 3.3V power to a RS232 PIC project >> Got some ebay USB To RS232 TTL PL2303HX Auto Converter Module Converter >> Adapter for arduino >> ebay object: 360750555245 >> >> Module has 5V and 3.3 V out (from the USB power). >> The PL2303 works 100% OK with Linux native drivers. >> Just connect to RS232 in and RS232 out, and power, >> and no need to write USB code, or get a special PIC, or bother about >> licenses, >> or maxmin^h^him chips. >> and all that at only 99 dollar cents a piece. >> I just build one into an existing RS232 project, simplifies a lot of >> things. >> Any terminal program or script can talk to it. >> >> It is also a lot cheaper than external USB to RS232 adaptors (wut hte >> same chip!), >> just solder the pins into your board. >> >> # lsusb >> Bus 005 Device 006: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial >> Port >> >> PS it has a red LED too, to show USB is connected. > >I've been told that PL2303 will not work with windows 8 and probably >latter very soon (Win8 was a dog0
So MS is working backwards as usual...
>The PL2303 works 100% OK with Linux native drivers.
Is it a true Prolific PL2303, or one of the Chinese clones that often do not work right?
>Just connect to RS232 in and RS232 out, and power, >and no need to write USB code, or get a special PIC, or bother about licenses, >or maxmin^h^him chips.
It says "RS232 TTL" - kinda confusing terminology. True RS232 has higher voltages than TTL and the "sense" is inverted. Is this true RS-232, or RS-232-like with TTL voltage levels, or the non-inverted TTL/CMOS that you get directly from a PIC or Arduino pin?
On a sunny day (Tue, 15 Apr 2014 10:23:15 -0700) it happened
dplatt@coop.radagast.org (David Platt) wrote in
<3h602b-488.ln1@coop.radagast.org>:

>>The PL2303 works 100% OK with Linux native drivers. > >Is it a true Prolific PL2303, or one of the Chinese clones that often >do not work right?
I dunno, can you tell the difference? It works OK, and that is what counts.
>>Just connect to RS232 in and RS232 out, and power, >>and no need to write USB code, or get a special PIC, or bother about licenses, >>or maxmin^h^him chips. > >It says "RS232 TTL" - kinda confusing terminology.
Not if you have been designing that stuff, logic level means _after_ the inverting MAX232 so to speak. So by default the out and in are high, and can be directly connected to the UART in the chip. Tx on input and Rx to output ;-) I have not tried the extreme baudrates yet, lemme try one, local loopback, Tx connected to Rx on the module: panteltje12: ~ # ptlrc -d /dev/ttyUSB1 -b 460800 Panteltje ptlrc-0.7 using device /dev/ttyUSB1 Escape exits. sdasdaasdas <keyboard hits So 460800 baud is OK lowest: panteltje12: ~ # ptlrc -d /dev/ttyUSB1 -b 75 Panteltje ptlrc-0.7 using device /dev/ttyUSB1 Escape exits. dasdadad <keyboard hits 75 Baud works too. BTW I do not believe latest MS windows does not support these chips, these are in a zillion devices. And even then there should be a driver you can download. Its probably cluelessness of the users :-) BTW I _wrote_ ptlrc, its on my site, its a cool communication program. Its also the simplest possible; panteltje12: ~ # ptlrc -h Panteltje ptlrc-0.7 serial communication program. Usage: ptlrc [-b baudrate] [-d device_name] [-h] [-i] [-v] b n baudrate, either 75, 150, 300, 600, 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, 19200, 38400, 57600, 115200, 230400, or 460800, default 19200. d device device name, default /dev/ttyS1. i script flag, use this to send single command from a script, example: echo a1 | ptlrc -i , or echo a1 | ptlrc -i > result. h help (this help). v verbose, prints functions and arguments. Escape exits. Example: ptlrc -d /dev/ttyUSB1 -b 9600 | tee temp.log panteltje12: ~ # I did not really scope it to see if it WAS 460800 Baud. Suspense!
The windows driver is buggy. Works on some things, not everything. Pretty 
much I use FTDI these days.


Of course the FTDI I get could be Chinese copies. ;-)

On 2014-04-15, David Eather <eather@tpg.com.au> wrote:
> > I've been told that PL2303 will not work with windows 8 and probably > latter very soon (Win8 was a dog0
Not what it says here http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41 -- umop apisdn --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
On a sunny day (17 Apr 2014 12:47:58 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts
<jasen@xnet.co.nz> wrote in <lioihu$nef$1@gonzo.reversiblemaps.ath.cx>:

>On 2014-04-15, David Eather <eather@tpg.com.au> wrote: >> >> I've been told that PL2303 will not work with windows 8 and probably >> latter very soon (Win8 was a dog0 > >Not what it says here > >http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41 >
That site is a bit confusing, seems some chip versions indeed are not supported, This is full listing of lsusb -v Bus 005 Device 014: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port Device Descriptor: bLength 18 bDescriptorType 1 bcdUSB 1.10 bDeviceClass 0 (Defined at Interface level) bDeviceSubClass 0 bDeviceProtocol 0 bMaxPacketSize0 64 idVendor 0x067b Prolific Technology, Inc. idProduct 0x2303 PL2303 Serial Port bcdDevice 3.00 iManufacturer 1 Prolific Technology Inc. iProduct 2 USB-Serial Controller iSerial 0 bNumConfigurations 1 Configuration Descriptor: bLength 9 bDescriptorType 2 wTotalLength 39 bNumInterfaces 1 bConfigurationValue 1 iConfiguration 0 bmAttributes 0x80 (Bus Powered) MaxPower 100mA Interface Descriptor: bLength 9 bDescriptorType 4 bInterfaceNumber 0 bAlternateSetting 0 bNumEndpoints 3 bInterfaceClass 255 Vendor Specific Class bInterfaceSubClass 0 bInterfaceProtocol 0 iInterface 0 Endpoint Descriptor: bLength 7 bDescriptorType 5 bEndpointAddress 0x81 EP 1 IN bmAttributes 3 Transfer Type Interrupt Synch Type None Usage Type Data wMaxPacketSize 0x000a 1x 10 bytes bInterval 1 Endpoint Descriptor: bLength 7 bDescriptorType 5 bEndpointAddress 0x02 EP 2 OUT bmAttributes 2 Transfer Type Bulk Synch Type None Usage Type Data wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes bInterval 0 Endpoint Descriptor: bLength 7 bDescriptorType 5 bEndpointAddress 0x83 EP 3 IN bmAttributes 2 Transfer Type Bulk Synch Type None Usage Type Data wMaxPacketSize 0x0040 1x 64 bytes bInterval 0 Device Status: 0x0000 (Bus Powered) Not sure if that is a HXA or whatever they say does not work in MS Win 8.. I was thinking if indeed MS sabotages things so some chips or vendor's stuff does not work, then they are in for a other multi-million Euro fine from the EU. I do not use MS windows myself, but I am really sick of their ever growing bloat experiments. They are just anti user, creating silly layers so computers look complicated, making morons. In a fraction of the timeof getting used to their next GUI bloat experiment, you can learn how to use the command line, and Unix / Linux basics, and scripting. Not that everything works in Linux, the kernel clucb sdrews up drivers with every new release, changes APIs, add bugs, what not. And MS f*cked up BIOS too.. I have read that the menu will be back in windows (dont remember what it was called). Maybe it is a plot to ever sell new hardware, must be, 4 GHz quad core for people to type an email. Really green...
>-- >umop apisdn > > >--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net --- >
On a sunny day (Thu, 17 Apr 2014 13:32:46 GMT) it happened Jan Panteltje
<panteltje@yahoo.com> wrote in <liol5r$236$1@news.datemas.de>:

>On a sunny day (17 Apr 2014 12:47:58 GMT) it happened Jasen Betts ><jasen@xnet.co.nz> wrote in <lioihu$nef$1@gonzo.reversiblemaps.ath.cx>: > >>On 2014-04-15, David Eather <eather@tpg.com.au> wrote: >>> >>> I've been told that PL2303 will not work with windows 8 and probably >>> latter very soon (Win8 was a dog0 >> >>Not what it says here >> >>http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowProduct.aspx?p_id=225&pcid=41 >> >That site is a bit confusing, >seems some chip versions indeed are not supported, >This is full listing of
OK, found, should have looked at the chip.. LOL http://panteltje.com/pub/Prolific_ebay_USB_to_RS232_locgc_level_adaptor_chip_IMG_4445.JPG It shows: PL-2302HX LF13209A is this a HXA ? if so no go on MS win 8 and 8.1 if a HXB it should work... ? Man glad I dont run that MS crap.