Forums

Are TI Pspice models encripted?

Started by Unknown April 4, 2014
On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 08:42:04 -0500, John Fields <jfields@austininstruments.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:48:29 -0700, John Larkin ><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: > >>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:28:05 -0700, Jim Thompson >><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >> >>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:49:43 -0700, John Larkin >>><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>> >>>[snip] >>> >>>Who uttered their profound statement of ignorance, "Thing about CMOS >>>is its terrible ratio of capacitance to transconductance. I've >>>seen CMOS opamps that have PSRR *gain*." ??? >>> >>>Anyone with half a clue knows that PSRR is referred to input for a >>>reason... to hide the fact that there is always a frequency point >>>above which ALL OpAmps have gain from supplies to output... bipolar's >>>included. >>> >>>I was designing bipolar integrated circuits while you were still in >>>diapers. Sometimes I think you still are. >>> >>> ...Jim Thompson >> >>You're still chicken, and still wrong. >> >>If you dispute the gain:capacitance disadvantage of CMOS amps, name a >>CMOS opamp that's as fast as a bipolar THS3201. Or has the speed and >>input capacitance of a jfet ADA4817. Or comes anywhere near the specs >>of an AD8034. >> >>Come on, try it.
Thanks for the insight. -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation
On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:09:43 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 08:42:04 -0500, John Fields <jfields@austininstruments.com> >wrote: > >>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:48:29 -0700, John Larkin >><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >> >>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:28:05 -0700, Jim Thompson >>><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >>> >>>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:49:43 -0700, John Larkin >>>><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>[snip] >>>> >>>>Who uttered their profound statement of ignorance, "Thing about CMOS >>>>is its terrible ratio of capacitance to transconductance. I've >>>>seen CMOS opamps that have PSRR *gain*." ??? >>>> >>>>Anyone with half a clue knows that PSRR is referred to input for a >>>>reason... to hide the fact that there is always a frequency point >>>>above which ALL OpAmps have gain from supplies to output... bipolar's >>>>included. >>>> >>>>I was designing bipolar integrated circuits while you were still in >>>>diapers. Sometimes I think you still are. >>>> >>>> ...Jim Thompson >>> >>>You're still chicken, and still wrong. >>> >>>If you dispute the gain:capacitance disadvantage of CMOS amps, name a >>>CMOS opamp that's as fast as a bipolar THS3201. Or has the speed and >>>input capacitance of a jfet ADA4817. Or comes anywhere near the specs >>>of an AD8034. >>> >>>Come on, try it. > > >Thanks for the insight.
...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:09:43 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 08:42:04 -0500, John Fields <jfields@austininstruments.com> >wrote: > >>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:48:29 -0700, John Larkin >><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >> >>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:28:05 -0700, Jim Thompson >>><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >>> >>>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:49:43 -0700, John Larkin >>>><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>[snip] >>>> >>>>Who uttered their profound statement of ignorance, "Thing about CMOS >>>>is its terrible ratio of capacitance to transconductance. I've >>>>seen CMOS opamps that have PSRR *gain*." ??? >>>> >>>>Anyone with half a clue knows that PSRR is referred to input for a >>>>reason... to hide the fact that there is always a frequency point >>>>above which ALL OpAmps have gain from supplies to output... bipolar's >>>>included. >>>> >>>>I was designing bipolar integrated circuits while you were still in >>>>diapers. Sometimes I think you still are. >>>> >>>> ...Jim Thompson >>> >>>You're still chicken, and still wrong. >>> >>>If you dispute the gain:capacitance disadvantage of CMOS amps, name a >>>CMOS opamp that's as fast as a bipolar THS3201. Or has the speed and >>>input capacitance of a jfet ADA4817. Or comes anywhere near the specs >>>of an AD8034. >>> >>>Come on, try it. > > >Thanks for the insight.
.FUNC[PLINK] BYE >:-} Note to all: Replying to Larkin will _not_ be seen by me. I finally figured out how to kill subthreads, so I have no annoyance whatsoever. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:19:18 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:09:43 -0700, John Larkin ><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: > >>On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 08:42:04 -0500, John Fields <jfields@austininstruments.com> >>wrote: >> >>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:48:29 -0700, John Larkin >>><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>> >>>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:28:05 -0700, Jim Thompson >>>><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:49:43 -0700, John Larkin >>>>><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>>>> >>>>>[snip] >>>>> >>>>>Who uttered their profound statement of ignorance, "Thing about CMOS >>>>>is its terrible ratio of capacitance to transconductance. I've >>>>>seen CMOS opamps that have PSRR *gain*." ??? >>>>> >>>>>Anyone with half a clue knows that PSRR is referred to input for a >>>>>reason... to hide the fact that there is always a frequency point >>>>>above which ALL OpAmps have gain from supplies to output... bipolar's >>>>>included. >>>>> >>>>>I was designing bipolar integrated circuits while you were still in >>>>>diapers. Sometimes I think you still are. >>>>> >>>>> ...Jim Thompson >>>> >>>>You're still chicken, and still wrong. >>>> >>>>If you dispute the gain:capacitance disadvantage of CMOS amps, name a >>>>CMOS opamp that's as fast as a bipolar THS3201. Or has the speed and >>>>input capacitance of a jfet ADA4817. Or comes anywhere near the specs >>>>of an AD8034. >>>> >>>>Come on, try it. >> >> >>Thanks for the insight. > > ...Jim Thompson
I suppose that was your list of fast CMOS opamps. -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation
On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:22:16 -0700, John Larkin
<jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:19:18 -0700, Jim Thompson ><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: > >>On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:09:43 -0700, John Larkin >><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> >>>On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 08:42:04 -0500, John Fields <jfields@austininstruments.com> >>>wrote: >>> >>>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:48:29 -0700, John Larkin >>>><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:28:05 -0700, Jim Thompson >>>>><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >>>>> >>>>>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:49:43 -0700, John Larkin >>>>>><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>>[snip] >>>>>> >>>>>>Who uttered their profound statement of ignorance, "Thing about CMOS >>>>>>is its terrible ratio of capacitance to transconductance. I've >>>>>>seen CMOS opamps that have PSRR *gain*." ??? >>>>>> >>>>>>Anyone with half a clue knows that PSRR is referred to input for a >>>>>>reason... to hide the fact that there is always a frequency point >>>>>>above which ALL OpAmps have gain from supplies to output... bipolar's >>>>>>included. >>>>>> >>>>>>I was designing bipolar integrated circuits while you were still in >>>>>>diapers. Sometimes I think you still are. >>>>>> >>>>>> ...Jim Thompson >>>>> >>>>>You're still chicken, and still wrong. >>>>> >>>>>If you dispute the gain:capacitance disadvantage of CMOS amps, name a >>>>>CMOS opamp that's as fast as a bipolar THS3201. Or has the speed and >>>>>input capacitance of a jfet ADA4817. Or comes anywhere near the specs >>>>>of an AD8034. >>>>> >>>>>Come on, try it. >>> >>> >>>Thanks for the insight. >> >> ...Jim Thompson > > >I suppose that was your list of fast CMOS opamps.
...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:22:03 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:09:43 -0700, John Larkin ><jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: > >>On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 08:42:04 -0500, John Fields <jfields@austininstruments.com> >>wrote: >> >>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:48:29 -0700, John Larkin >>><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>> >>>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:28:05 -0700, Jim Thompson >>>><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>>On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:49:43 -0700, John Larkin >>>>><jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>>>> >>>>>[snip] >>>>> >>>>>Who uttered their profound statement of ignorance, "Thing about CMOS >>>>>is its terrible ratio of capacitance to transconductance. I've >>>>>seen CMOS opamps that have PSRR *gain*." ??? >>>>> >>>>>Anyone with half a clue knows that PSRR is referred to input for a >>>>>reason... to hide the fact that there is always a frequency point >>>>>above which ALL OpAmps have gain from supplies to output... bipolar's >>>>>included. >>>>> >>>>>I was designing bipolar integrated circuits while you were still in >>>>>diapers. Sometimes I think you still are. >>>>> >>>>> ...Jim Thompson >>>> >>>>You're still chicken, and still wrong. >>>> >>>>If you dispute the gain:capacitance disadvantage of CMOS amps, name a >>>>CMOS opamp that's as fast as a bipolar THS3201. Or has the speed and >>>>input capacitance of a jfet ADA4817. Or comes anywhere near the specs >>>>of an AD8034. >>>> >>>>Come on, try it. >> >> >>Thanks for the insight. > >.FUNC[PLINK] BYE >:-} > >Note to all: Replying to Larkin will _not_ be seen by me. I finally >figured out how to kill subthreads, so I have no annoyance whatsoever. > > ...Jim Thompson
Chicken! You are wrong about CMOS amps, and are going off to hide in the back of your coop. -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation
On 4/6/2014 1:22 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:09:43 -0700, John Larkin > <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: > >> On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 08:42:04 -0500, John Fields <jfields@austininstruments.com> >> wrote: >> >>> On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:48:29 -0700, John Larkin >>> <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>> >>>> On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:28:05 -0700, Jim Thompson >>>> <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>> On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:49:43 -0700, John Larkin >>>>> <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> [snip] >>>>> >>>>> Who uttered their profound statement of ignorance, "Thing about CMOS >>>>> is its terrible ratio of capacitance to transconductance. I've >>>>> seen CMOS opamps that have PSRR *gain*." ??? >>>>> >>>>> Anyone with half a clue knows that PSRR is referred to input for a >>>>> reason... to hide the fact that there is always a frequency point >>>>> above which ALL OpAmps have gain from supplies to output... bipolar's >>>>> included. >>>>> >>>>> I was designing bipolar integrated circuits while you were still in >>>>> diapers. Sometimes I think you still are. >>>>> >>>>> ...Jim Thompson >>>> >>>> You're still chicken, and still wrong. >>>> >>>> If you dispute the gain:capacitance disadvantage of CMOS amps, name a >>>> CMOS opamp that's as fast as a bipolar THS3201. Or has the speed and >>>> input capacitance of a jfet ADA4817. Or comes anywhere near the specs >>>> of an AD8034. >>>> >>>> Come on, try it. >> >> >> Thanks for the insight. > > .FUNC[PLINK] BYE >:-} > > Note to all: Replying to Larkin will _not_ be seen by me. I finally > figured out how to kill subthreads, so I have no annoyance whatsoever. > > ...Jim Thompson >
Hallelujah. Let's hope you can keep it up this time. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On 4/6/2014 1:22 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:19:18 -0700, Jim Thompson > <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: > >> On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:09:43 -0700, John Larkin >> <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> >>> On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 08:42:04 -0500, John Fields <jfields@austininstruments.com> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:48:29 -0700, John Larkin >>>> <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>> On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:28:05 -0700, Jim Thompson >>>>> <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:49:43 -0700, John Larkin >>>>>> <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> [snip] >>>>>> >>>>>> Who uttered their profound statement of ignorance, "Thing about CMOS >>>>>> is its terrible ratio of capacitance to transconductance. I've >>>>>> seen CMOS opamps that have PSRR *gain*." ??? >>>>>> >>>>>> Anyone with half a clue knows that PSRR is referred to input for a >>>>>> reason... to hide the fact that there is always a frequency point >>>>>> above which ALL OpAmps have gain from supplies to output... bipolar's >>>>>> included. >>>>>> >>>>>> I was designing bipolar integrated circuits while you were still in >>>>>> diapers. Sometimes I think you still are. >>>>>> >>>>>> ...Jim Thompson >>>>> >>>>> You're still chicken, and still wrong. >>>>> >>>>> If you dispute the gain:capacitance disadvantage of CMOS amps, name a >>>>> CMOS opamp that's as fast as a bipolar THS3201. Or has the speed and >>>>> input capacitance of a jfet ADA4817. Or comes anywhere near the specs >>>>> of an AD8034. >>>>> >>>>> Come on, try it. >>> >>> >>> Thanks for the insight. >> >> ...Jim Thompson > > > I suppose that was your list of fast CMOS opamps. > >
There are some pretty good ones, though not in the ADA4899 or ADA4817 class. I've got quite fond of the AD8605 series--RRIO but with some real output drive, so they run into ADCs really well. IBM stuck with bipolar ECL until the early '90s, because of its huge transconductance advantage over CMOS. When they made the switch, which was due to the heat problem, Amdahl (Fujitsu) ate their lunch for one product generation before switching themselves. An advanced ECL process of that era had about 600 process steps, vs. 300 for CMOS, so the cost delta was pretty significant, but the extra performance made it worthwhile. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 13:41:33 -0400, Phil Hobbs
<hobbs@electrooptical.net> wrote:

>On 4/6/2014 1:22 PM, Jim Thompson wrote: >> On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 10:09:43 -0700, John Larkin >> <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote: >> >>> On Sun, 06 Apr 2014 08:42:04 -0500, John Fields <jfields@austininstruments.com> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:48:29 -0700, John Larkin >>>> <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>> On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 15:28:05 -0700, Jim Thompson >>>>> <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> On Sat, 05 Apr 2014 14:49:43 -0700, John Larkin >>>>>> <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> [snip] >>>>>> >>>>>> Who uttered their profound statement of ignorance, "Thing about CMOS >>>>>> is its terrible ratio of capacitance to transconductance. I've >>>>>> seen CMOS opamps that have PSRR *gain*." ??? >>>>>> >>>>>> Anyone with half a clue knows that PSRR is referred to input for a >>>>>> reason... to hide the fact that there is always a frequency point >>>>>> above which ALL OpAmps have gain from supplies to output... bipolar's >>>>>> included. >>>>>> >>>>>> I was designing bipolar integrated circuits while you were still in >>>>>> diapers. Sometimes I think you still are. >>>>>> >>>>>> ...Jim Thompson >>>>> >>>>> You're still chicken, and still wrong. >>>>> >>>>> If you dispute the gain:capacitance disadvantage of CMOS amps, name a >>>>> CMOS opamp that's as fast as a bipolar THS3201. Or has the speed and >>>>> input capacitance of a jfet ADA4817. Or comes anywhere near the specs >>>>> of an AD8034. >>>>> >>>>> Come on, try it. >>> >>> >>> Thanks for the insight. >> >> .FUNC[PLINK] BYE >:-} >> >> Note to all: Replying to Larkin will _not_ be seen by me. I finally >> figured out how to kill subthreads, so I have no annoyance whatsoever. >> >> ...Jim Thompson >> >Hallelujah. Let's hope you can keep it up this time. > >Cheers > >Phil Hobbs
Oh, he's killfiled me maybe a dozen times by now, generally after being wrong about something. But he always sneaks and cheats; he can't stand to not know what we're saying about him. I wanted to know if there are any fast CMOS opamps. I guess not. Since early toob days, Gm/Co has been a figure of merit. It's essentially the GBW measured in radian frequency. I remember how happy I was (I was of course very young) when frame-grid tubes were invented, something like 4x better than the old cylindrical stuff. 6DJ8 and such. I did some nice trigger circuits, 6DJ8/tunnel diode hybrids. It has its own Wiki page! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6DJ8 Mosfets are pretty bad in this FOM. -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com http://www.highlandtechnology.com
On 4/4/2014 9:58 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 18:27:07 -0700, John Larkin > <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: > >> On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 16:10:20 -0700, Jim Thompson >> <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:
...snip...
>>> You just need to read thru it thoroughly, actually the effects of the >>> Cload values are easy to decipher. >> >> I especially enjoyed the first-page claim about how it can drive an >> ADC s/h circuit, and fig 18, which shows that it can't. >> >> Why didn't they make it c-load stable? > > Ask National/TI. I didn't design it, I just modeled it. > > That you can't decipher some of the data (because you're CMOS > illiterate) is your problem, not mine. > > ...Jim Thompson
Ok, a relatively civil conversation until Jim can't resist throwing an insult into the mix. -- Rick