Altium Designer Pricing

Started by Tim Wescott April 2, 2014
So, I've been looking over a few shoulders lately and seeing Altium on
screens, and thinking maybe I should move away from EagleCAD.

I looked on the Altium web site for pricing, and they're one of those
"hand us one of your testicles and we'll tell you how much you need to
pay to buy our product" sort of companies.

I just want a budgetary price for buying one seat in the US.

Anyone use it?  Have a recent version?  Know how much it costs?

I think I may stick with Eagle.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

On 4/2/2014 7:51 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
> So, I've been looking over a few shoulders lately and seeing Altium on > screens, and thinking maybe I should move away from EagleCAD. > > I looked on the Altium web site for pricing, and they're one of those > "hand us one of your testicles and we'll tell you how much you need to > pay to buy our product" sort of companies.
You didn't need those anyway. They just get you into trouble. ;) Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
Might be over $7k: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/altium-delivers-altium-designer-14-140000908.html
> I think I may stick with Eagle. >
I will, at least for now. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
It's around $5k for a seat.

You can probably phone a rep and get a better number.  I've heard 3k to
10k, but I think the 3k numbers were old numbers, and 10k might be certain
package deals like with subscription stuff.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

"Tim Wescott" <tim@seemywebsite.really> wrote in message
> So, I've been looking over a few shoulders lately and seeing Altium on > screens, and thinking maybe I should move away from EagleCAD. > > I looked on the Altium web site for pricing, and they're one of those > "hand us one of your testicles and we'll tell you how much you need to > pay to buy our product" sort of companies. > > I just want a budgetary price for buying one seat in the US. > > Anyone use it? Have a recent version? Know how much it costs? > > I think I may stick with Eagle. > > -- > > Tim Wescott > Wescott Design Services > http://www.wescottdesign.com >
On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 18:51:43 -0500, Tim Wescott
<tim@seemywebsite.really> wrote:

>So, I've been looking over a few shoulders lately and seeing Altium on >screens, and thinking maybe I should move away from EagleCAD. > >I looked on the Altium web site for pricing, and they're one of those >"hand us one of your testicles and we'll tell you how much you need to >pay to buy our product" sort of companies. > >I just want a budgetary price for buying one seat in the US. > >Anyone use it? Have a recent version? Know how much it costs? > >I think I may stick with Eagle.
You've probably already seen the rumors that the Ver 7 release of Eagle will have hierarchical sheets? No personal knowledge, just something from one of the Eagle Usenet groups. OTOH, Kicad's current snapshot lets one design and use a custom page layout (frame and title block) in place of its old default. This is not in the current "stable" release (that's still the July 2013) but using https://launchpad.net/kicad-winbuilder it's very easy to build an executable from the source tree. There's a page layout editor on the main project manager toolbar.
On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 18:51:43 -0500, the renowned Tim Wescott
<tim@seemywebsite.really> wrote:

>So, I've been looking over a few shoulders lately and seeing Altium on >screens, and thinking maybe I should move away from EagleCAD. > >I looked on the Altium web site for pricing, and they're one of those >"hand us one of your testicles and we'll tell you how much you need to >pay to buy our product" sort of companies. > >I just want a budgetary price for buying one seat in the US. > >Anyone use it? Have a recent version? Know how much it costs? > >I think I may stick with Eagle.
I think you're going to have to call and find out.. I got a client to purchase a few seats, some schematic and some full package, and then another seat a year or two later and the second round was about half price. Make sure you ask about a "perpetual license" rather than some subscription deal... unless you can live with a subscription. I get the feeling their pricing is a bit.. situational.. so you may be able to work a good deal. This is an offer to us "Design Partners" from a couple years ago (Unfortunately not when I needed to make a purchase). "Microchip is apparently switching all of their electronic CAD software over to Altium. As part of that deal, they have extended an offer to all Design Partners to purchase the Altium software for the price of $2500 USD per seat. This is a price reduction of about $4500 (List price US $6995). The first year's software maintenance cost of $1500 per seat is included in that cost. However, the on-going cost is that yearly cost of $1500 per seat." It's pretty decent software, all the EDA packages have their quirks. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com

But Altium doesn't support Unix. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany -- "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward" speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com
On 4/2/2014 9:01 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 19:55:54 -0400, the renowned Phil Hobbs > <hobbs@electrooptical.net> wrote: > >> On 4/2/2014 7:51 PM, Tim Wescott wrote: >>> So, I've been looking over a few shoulders lately and seeing Altium on >>> screens, and thinking maybe I should move away from EagleCAD. >>> >>> I looked on the Altium web site for pricing, and they're one of those >>> "hand us one of your testicles and we'll tell you how much you need to >>> pay to buy our product" sort of companies. >> >> You didn't need those anyway. They just get you into trouble. ;) >> >> Cheers >> >> Phil Hobbs > > But Altium doesn't support Unix.
But once you hand them over, you don't need a supporter anymore. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
In article <u9cpj9l5b1p52vjn4slpp77k5gmirp9r6k@4ax.com>,
Spehro Pefhany  <speffSNIP@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>Make sure you ask about a "perpetual license" rather than some >subscription deal... unless you can live with a subscription. > >I get the feeling their pricing is a bit.. situational.. so you may be >able to work a good deal.
It might be a bit like buying a car. There could be better times to ask (e.g. just before the end of the quarter, when the salescritters are eager to make their quota) and worse times.
On 03/04/2014 00:51, Tim Wescott wrote:
> So, I've been looking over a few shoulders lately and seeing Altium on > screens, and thinking maybe I should move away from EagleCAD. > > I looked on the Altium web site for pricing, and they're one of those > "hand us one of your testicles and we'll tell you how much you need to > pay to buy our product" sort of companies. > > I just want a budgetary price for buying one seat in the US. > > Anyone use it? Have a recent version? Know how much it costs? > > I think I may stick with Eagle.
Unless you're pretty much a full time PCB layout guy, leave it well alone. It's far too complicated for the casual user, every time you need to use it you've forgotten how. I suppose they have to justify the price with 'added value', but to me that's 'added obfuscation'. Altium benefit partly from the big company thing of, "it must be good because it costs a lot". Cheers -- Syd