Forums

A $5 Arduino?!!

Started by Anonymous Remailer (austria) December 15, 2013

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/iteaduino-lite-most-inexpensive-full-sized-arduino-derivative-board

At first I was presently surprised but after a while I started to
wonder. Knowing that the cheapest AVR device costs about $3-$5 I started
to investigate how they could build a complete board with 
MPU for $5 including shipping. It turns out the Chinese have CLONED the
Atmel AVR processor with an instruction set compatible creation of their
own. It runs most AVR code unaltered save for the fact that some 
of the peripherals are slightly less capable and the device used in the
board only has 1K RAM and 8K flash.

Still it's a very nice entry level board for simple systems. I estimate
that you can fit a program of about 1000 lines of C code into the 8K
flash, which is sufficient for a lot of projects.

On Sunday, December 15, 2013 4:52:18 PM UTC+2, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/iteaduino-lite-most-inexpensive-full-sized-arduino-derivative-board > > At first I was presently surprised but after a while I started to > wonder. Knowing that the cheapest AVR device costs about $3-$5 I started > to investigate how they could build a complete board with > MPU for $5 including shipping. It turns out the Chinese have CLONED the > Atmel AVR processor with an instruction set compatible creation of their > own. It runs most AVR code unaltered save for the fact that some > of the peripherals are slightly less capable and the device used in the > board only has 1K RAM and 8K flash. > > Still it's a very nice entry level board for simple systems. I estimate > that you can fit a program of about 1000 lines of C code into the 8K > flash, which is sufficient for a lot of projects.
Nice toy, may be. Entry level - not so sure, entry into what - cut and paste? Whether it costs $5 or $50 or is given away for free makes no significant difference I suppose. If someones invested time into it will be at a similar cost then someone might as well just watch some TV show instead. But I have never used an evaluation board in my life (I never saw any reason why I should do the same project twice) so may be I am missing the whole point of that sort of boards. Dimiter ------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI http://www.tgi-sci.com ------------------------------------------------------ http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/
On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 07:49:08 -0800 (PST), dp <dp@tgi-sci.com> Gave us:


>Nice toy, may be. >Entry level - not so sure, entry into what - cut and paste?
Tying a control computer to a piece of peripheral hardware?
>Whether it costs $5 or $50 or is given away for free makes >no significant difference I suppose. If someones invested >time into it will be at a similar cost then someone might >as well just watch some TV show instead.
Drunk much?
> >But I have never used an evaluation board in my life (I never >saw any reason why I should do the same project twice)
You are all diverse and stuff... not.
>so may be I am missing the whole point of that sort of boards.
They are for controlling lab experiments, and a host of other things apparently far above your aptitude level. Obviously. At least the cubox can be used as a little PC. NOTE: NOT $5 FIVE WATTS! http://www.solid-run.com/cubox http://cubox-i.com/
On Sunday, December 15, 2013 7:23:45 PM UTC+2, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 07:49:08 -0800 (PST), dp <dp@tgi-sci.com> Gave us: > > > >Nice toy, may be. > >Entry level - not so sure, entry into what - cut and paste? > > Tying a control computer to a piece of peripheral hardware? > > >Whether it costs $5 or $50 or is given away for free makes > >no significant difference I suppose. If someones invested > >time into it will be at a similar cost then someone might > >as well just watch some TV show instead. > > Drunk much? > > > >But I have never used an evaluation board in my life (I never > >saw any reason why I should do the same project twice) > > You are all diverse and stuff... not. > > >so may be I am missing the whole point of that sort of boards. > > They are for controlling lab experiments, and a host of other things > apparently far above your aptitude level. Obviously. > > At least the cubox can be used as a little PC.
Whatever you say, dear, whatever you say. I have yet to encounter anyone using that sort of thing get past the wannabe stage. Dimiter ------------------------------------------------------ Dimiter Popoff, TGI http://www.tgi-sci.com ------------------------------------------------------ http://www.flickr.com/photos/didi_tgi/sets/72157600228621276/
On Sun, 15 Dec 2013 10:53:16 -0800 (PST), dp <dp@tgi-sci.com> Gave us:

>Whatever you say, dear, whatever you say.
"Dear"? You are quite the scientist. Not.
>I have yet to encounter anyone using that sort of thing get past >the wannabe stage.
Yeah, but you ain't real bright. You ain't 'da meter', Dimiter. Bwuahahahahaha! Plenty of folks using them. What do you think those swarming, bluetooth connected quad rotors that dude is toying with all have on them? Interconnected. One could monitor one's property perimeter with them... all wirelessly. Plenty of uses. A party of balloon fiesta goers could network groups of balloons together. They could even launch balloons from their balloons! Plenty of uses. Could probably get one to monitor terahertz imagery and tune it to idiots like you from the masses... for proof testing. You do not seem to be 'all there'. Plenty of uses...
On 15/12/2013 14:52, Anonymous Remailer (austria) wrote:
> http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/iteaduino-lite-most-inexpensive-full-sized-arduino-derivative-board > > At first I was presently surprised but after a while I started to > wonder. Knowing that the cheapest AVR device costs about $3-$5 I started
This is just plain wrong - you can buy an ATmega328 from Farnell for &#2013266083;1.2 @ 100 off so they'll be a lot cheaper if you buy a decent number direct - less than $1 not $3-5.
> to investigate how they could build a complete board with > MPU for $5 including shipping. It turns out the Chinese have CLONED the > Atmel AVR processor with an instruction set compatible creation of their > own. It runs most AVR code unaltered save for the fact that some > of the peripherals are slightly less capable and the device used in the > board only has 1K RAM and 8K flash. > > Still it's a very nice entry level board for simple systems. I estimate > that you can fit a program of about 1000 lines of C code into the 8K > flash, which is sufficient for a lot of projects. >
It is true that the board uses an inferior "clone" chip, more like an ATmega88 which of course is much cheaper from Atmel. So if you want to work at low margins and can ship enough of them it would be quite feasible to make this board with a real Atmel processor. Michael Kellett