Forums

USB thing for test automation

Started by John Larkin November 6, 2013

Can anyone recommend a USB gadget that has an ADC, 8 or so logic port
bits, and maybe a DAC? Something easy to program, maybe a serial port
emulator. 10-12 bits would be good on the analog stuff.

The DUT is a photosensor. I need to turn on/off various LEDs in the
test rig, and digitize the analog output of the DUT.


-- 

John Larkin         Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro   acquisition and simulation
On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 16:54:47 -0800, John Larkin
<jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

> > >Can anyone recommend a USB gadget that has an ADC, 8 or so logic port >bits, and maybe a DAC? Something easy to program, maybe a serial port >emulator. 10-12 bits would be good on the analog stuff. > >The DUT is a photosensor. I need to turn on/off various LEDs in the >test rig, and digitize the analog output of the DUT.
How about some sort of uC eval kit? Maybe even one for an FPGA.
On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 17:56:38 -0700, <krw@attt.bizz> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 16:54:47 -0800, John Larkin > <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: > >> >> >> Can anyone recommend a USB gadget that has an ADC, 8 or so logic port >> bits, and maybe a DAC? Something easy to program, maybe a serial port >> emulator. 10-12 bits would be good on the analog stuff. >> >> The DUT is a photosensor. I need to turn on/off various LEDs in the >> test rig, and digitize the analog output of the DUT. > > How about some sort of uC eval kit? Maybe even one for an FPGA. >
Altera makes one that has a built in USB port, and/or runs on battery. Tons of digital interface, and ? four 16 bit ADC's If you take their complementary course, they give you one.
In article <qsol799vmuu18j2vehgpp72kmmch7cktj0@4ax.com>,
John Larkin  <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>Can anyone recommend a USB gadget that has an ADC, 8 or so logic port >bits, and maybe a DAC? Something easy to program, maybe a serial port >emulator. 10-12 bits would be good on the analog stuff.
>The DUT is a photosensor. I need to turn on/off various LEDs in the >test rig, and digitize the analog output of the DUT.
How about Arduino Nano: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardNano It's nice because USB port is really just an FTDI to serial converter, so both the PC side and the Atmel side are using TTL-level RS-232 serial. -- /* jhallen@world.std.com AB1GO */ /* Joseph H. Allen */ int a[1817];main(z,p,q,r){for(p=80;q+p-80;p-=2*a[p])for(z=9;z--;)q=3&(r=time(0) +r*57)/7,q=q?q-1?q-2?1-p%79?-1:0:p%79-77?1:0:p<1659?79:0:p>158?-79:0,q?!a[p+q*2 ]?a[p+=a[p+=q]=q]=q:0:0;for(;q++-1817;)printf(q%79?"%c":"%c\n"," #"[!a[q-1]]);}
On Wednesday, November 6, 2013 4:54:47 PM UTC-8, John Larkin wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a USB gadget that has an ADC, 8 or so logic port > bits, and maybe a DAC?
How much of a "may be"? Everything else is easy, DAC would need an external chip.
> Something easy to program, maybe a serial port
We use the (USB to) serial port to program, then the same port turn into debug port during run time. No need to mess with Jtag or Isp.
On 11/6/2013 7:54 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> > > Can anyone recommend a USB gadget that has an ADC, 8 or so logic port > bits, and maybe a DAC? Something easy to program, maybe a serial port > emulator. 10-12 bits would be good on the analog stuff. > > The DUT is a photosensor. I need to turn on/off various LEDs in the > test rig, and digitize the analog output of the DUT. > >
An Arduino with its USB-serial programming cable can do all of the above. There's a library function to write data from the chip to the serial port, library function to read the ADCs, toggle the pins, etc. I've used one with a MCP4725 I2C DAC with great success: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8736 Try a Ruggeduino: http://ruggedcircuits.com/html/ruggeduino.html
On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 20:30:09 -0500, bitrex
<bitrex@de.lete.earthlink.net> wrote:

>On 11/6/2013 7:54 PM, John Larkin wrote: >> >> >> Can anyone recommend a USB gadget that has an ADC, 8 or so logic port >> bits, and maybe a DAC? Something easy to program, maybe a serial port >> emulator. 10-12 bits would be good on the analog stuff. >> >> The DUT is a photosensor. I need to turn on/off various LEDs in the >> test rig, and digitize the analog output of the DUT. >> >> > >An Arduino with its USB-serial programming cable can do all of the >above. There's a library function to write data from the chip to the >serial port, library function to read the ADCs, toggle the pins, etc. >I've used one with a MCP4725 I2C DAC with great success: >https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8736 > >Try a Ruggeduino: http://ruggedcircuits.com/html/ruggeduino.html
I really want to buy something all built and programmed, that I can just talk to serially without added engineering. A board or a box. DLP Design makes some daq boards that use the FTDI chip, so look like serial ports. Most of the other stuff I can find has big DLL driver packages (one is a 38 mbyte download!) -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com http://www.highlandtechnology.com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser drivers and controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation
In article <7ssl79hr7ukms7high004rck6edss0oaqf@4ax.com>,
John Larkin  <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote:

>I really want to buy something all built and programmed, that I can >just talk to serially without added engineering. A board or a box.
It's true that you need to program the Arduino- but even if you know nothing about Arduino it will take you at most an hour of work.
>DLP Design makes some daq boards that use the FTDI chip, so look like >serial ports.
I this one: http://www.dlpdesign.com/usb/2232pb.shtml looks like the PIC version of the Arduino- Microchip should have it. Anyway, their data acquisition boards do look pretty nice. Hopefully the protocol is simple. -- /* jhallen@world.std.com AB1GO */ /* Joseph H. Allen */ int a[1817];main(z,p,q,r){for(p=80;q+p-80;p-=2*a[p])for(z=9;z--;)q=3&(r=time(0) +r*57)/7,q=q?q-1?q-2?1-p%79?-1:0:p%79-77?1:0:p<1659?79:0:p>158?-79:0,q?!a[p+q*2 ]?a[p+=a[p+=q]=q]=q:0:0;for(;q++-1817;)printf(q%79?"%c":"%c\n"," #"[!a[q-1]]);}
On 11/6/2013 7:54 PM, John Larkin wrote:
> > > Can anyone recommend a USB gadget that has an ADC, 8 or so logic port > bits, and maybe a DAC? Something easy to program, maybe a serial port > emulator. 10-12 bits would be good on the analog stuff. > > The DUT is a photosensor. I need to turn on/off various LEDs in the > test rig, and digitize the analog output of the DUT. > >
If you don't mind something the size of a half-brick, the LabJack U6 Pro is pretty swish. I bought one for a client on Joerg's recommendation, and liked it enough that I bought another one for myself. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA +1 845 480 2058 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
"RobertMacy" <robert.a.macy@gmail.com> wrote in message 
news:op.w55mhfn22cx0wh@ajm...
> On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 17:56:38 -0700, <krw@attt.bizz> wrote: > >> On Wed, 06 Nov 2013 16:54:47 -0800, John Larkin >> <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: >> >>> >>> >>> Can anyone recommend a USB gadget that has an ADC, 8 or so logic port >>> bits, and maybe a DAC? Something easy to program, maybe a serial port >>> emulator. 10-12 bits would be good on the analog stuff. >>> >>> The DUT is a photosensor. I need to turn on/off various LEDs in the >>> test rig, and digitize the analog output of the DUT. >> >> How about some sort of uC eval kit? Maybe even one for an FPGA. >> > > > Altera makes one that has a built in USB port, and/or runs on battery. > Tons of digital interface, and ? four 16 bit ADC's > > If you take their complementary course, they give you one.\
What is the part number of the Altera device?