Forums

New $100 Notes - Electronic Securty Features

Started by Unknown September 27, 2013
Someone told me the new US $100 notes have a built-in microchip, or
RFID tag.

Does anyone have further info on this?

Martin King
On 9/27/2013 4:43 AM, mking@interquest.com wrote:
> > Someone told me the new US $100 notes have a built-in microchip, or > RFID tag. > > Does anyone have further info on this? > > Martin King >
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=security+features+of+us+currency
On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 08:38:44 -0600, hamilton <hamilton@nothere.com>
wrote:

>On 9/27/2013 4:43 AM, mking@interquest.com wrote: >> >> Someone told me the new US $100 notes have a built-in microchip, or >> RFID tag. >> >> Does anyone have further info on this? >> >> Martin King >> >http://lmgtfy.com/?q=security+features+of+us+currency
Thanks heaps. But I wouldn't have asked here if I had found anything with Google. Some informal sources say the note contains passively activated circuitry. Martin King
On 9/27/2013 5:56 PM, mking@interquest.com wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 08:38:44 -0600, hamilton <hamilton@nothere.com> > wrote: > >> On 9/27/2013 4:43 AM, mking@interquest.com wrote: >>> >>> Someone told me the new US $100 notes have a built-in microchip, or >>> RFID tag. >>> >>> Does anyone have further info on this? >>> >>> Martin King >>> >> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=security+features+of+us+currency > > Thanks heaps. But I wouldn't have asked here if I had found anything > with Google. > > Some informal sources say the note contains passively activated > circuitry.
If the gov'mt won't say what the "special" features, why would you believe what you read on the internet? I do know that if you microwave a bill with a strip in it, it will catch fire or at least get very hot. ( tried it, it did catch fire) With that in mind, is there a frequency that can be used to detect the value of those bills ? I doubt it.
> > Martin King > >
hamilton wrote:
> On 9/27/2013 4:43 AM, mking@interquest.com wrote: >> >> Someone told me the new US $100 notes have a built-in microchip, or >> RFID tag. >> >> Does anyone have further info on this? >> >> Martin King >> > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=security+features+of+us+currency >
Did you see their lie "All U.S. currency remains legal tender, regardless of when it was issued."? Just TRY to use Gold Certificates or $1,000 notes...
On 9/28/2013 2:53 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
> hamilton wrote: >> On 9/27/2013 4:43 AM, mking@interquest.com wrote: >>> >>> Someone told me the new US $100 notes have a built-in microchip, or >>> RFID tag. >>> >>> Does anyone have further info on this? >>> >>> Martin King >>> >> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=security+features+of+us+currency >> > Did you see their lie "All U.S. currency remains legal tender, > regardless of when it was issued."? > Just TRY to use Gold Certificates or $1,000 notes...
Have you, personally, tried?
On Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:53:41 AM UTC-5, Robert Baer wrote:
> hamilton wrote: > On 9/27/2013 4:43 AM, mk....interquest.com wrote: >> >>=
Someone told me the new US $100 notes have a built-in microchip, or >> RFI= D tag. >> >> Does anyone have further info on this? >> >> Martin King >> > = http://lmgtfy.com/?q=3Dsecurity+features+of+us+currency > Did you see their= lie "All U.S. currency remains legal tender, regardless of when it was iss= ued."? Just TRY to use Gold Certificates or $1,000 notes... Interesting you should bring that up. there ae several issues with that. fo= r example if you have an old one dollar silver certificate, by law that mea= ns they should give you silver for it. but how much ?=20 Also, I had a twenty from the 1950s recently and once I found it was only w= orth twenty bucks and maybe a penny, I spent it. THAY WOULDN'T TAKE IT. It = failed the test pen.=20 I didn't feel like pushing the issue so I just traded twenties with a buddy= and got my beer. However I read something a while back about this not taki= ng good money. There is/was a little known law that if legal tender is refu= sed, the vendor must simply give the merchandise to the buyer for free. I h= aven't been able to find the specifics but it involves a strange case at a = gas station.=20 Of course you know it is damn hard to unpump gas. The station had a policy = that they didn't take bills over $20 at night and all the guy had was fifti= es and up, but not enough on smaller demoninations to paty for the already = pumped gasoline.=20 The cops were called and then the sherriff, and the guy did not get arreste= d, and everyone was surprised that they had to just give him the gas. He ma= y have signed a promissory note or something to send them a check later or = whatever, but the fact is they could not take the gas back and theyu couyld= not arrest him.=20 This may be an urban legend, but sometimes these things have basis' in fact= . It probably actually happened but that is not testament to the law becaus= e cops do make mistakes. In fact nowadays they even lie.=20 I almost decided to run a scam based on that "law", I am not sure it is rea= l. A buddy of mone was about to buy a shirtload of band equipment, digital = recorder, bunch of mikes and a couplr of mixers and we were going to set up= a little band. The store has this policy that results in you not getting p= roper warranty coverage if you do not give a phone number. I was looking fo= r a way to use this "law" if it exuisats to prove legal discrtimnination, a= nd offering cah money and being refused the same deal as someone who was wi= lling to give out their phone number..... get the logic ? It never happened= , and this is Ohio. See, the law in Ohio is just random letters andf they p= ick and choose at will, and brother have they got alot of will. The Constit= ution ? You can get thrown in ail here for just mentioning the Constitution= , I shit you not.=20 Anyway, thank you for attending my Saturday morning rant. The collection bo= x is near the door, be generous as the price of beer is always rising.
On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 07:50:17 -0700 (PDT), jurb6006@gmail.com wrote:

>On Saturday, September 28, 2013 1:53:41 AM UTC-5, Robert Baer wrote: >> hamilton wrote: > On 9/27/2013 4:43 AM, mk....interquest.com wrote: >> >> Someone told me the new US $100 notes have a built-in microchip, or >> RFID tag. >> >> Does anyone have further info on this? >> >> Martin King >> > http://lmgtfy.com/?q=security+features+of+us+currency > Did you see their lie "All U.S. currency remains legal tender, regardless of when it was issued."? Just TRY to use Gold Certificates or $1,000 notes...
It is *still* legal tender. I will gladly replace it with a brand new bill, if you wish.
>Interesting you should bring that up. there ae several issues with that. for example if you have an old one dollar silver certificate, by law that means they should give you silver for it. but how much ?
1$ worth, but no longer. From the treasury FAQ. <http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/faqs/Currency/Pages/edu_faq_currency_sales.aspx> Q: "I have some old silver certificates. How can I trade them in for silver dollars? A" On March 25, 1964, C. Douglas Dillon, the 57th Secretary of the Treasury announced that silver certificates would no longer be redeemable in silver dollars. This decision was pursuant to the Act of June 4, 1963 (31 U.S.C. 405a-1). The Act allowed the exchange of silver certificates for silver bullion until June 24,1968. This was the deadline set by the Congress. Since that date, there has been no obligation to issue silver in any form in exchange for these certificates. You may be interested to know that the Congress took this action because there were approximately three million silver dollars remaining in the Treasury Department's vaults. These coins had high numismatic values, and there was no way to make an equitable distribution of them among the many people holding silver certificates. Silver certificates are still legal tender and do still circulate at their face value. Depending upon the age and condition of the certificates, however, they may have a numismatic value to collectors and dealers.
>Also, I had a twenty from the 1950s recently and once I found it was only worth twenty bucks and maybe a penny, I spent it. THAY WOULDN'T TAKE IT. It failed the test pen.
Even the old bills should pass the ink test. That's a paper issue, which hasn't changed. It may have been counterfeit.
>I didn't feel like pushing the issue so I just traded twenties with a buddy and got my beer. However I read something a while back about this not taking good money. There is/was a little known law that if legal tender is refused, the vendor must simply give the merchandise to the buyer for free. I haven't been able to find the specifics but it involves a strange case at a gas station.
Uh, oh! Dealing in counterfeit money!
>Of course you know it is damn hard to unpump gas. The station had a policy that they didn't take bills over $20 at night and all the guy had was fifties and up, but not enough on smaller demoninations to paty for the already pumped gasoline.
Someone allows you to pump before you pay? How quaint. ;-)
>The cops were called and then the sherriff, and the guy did not get arrested, and everyone was surprised that they had to just give him the gas. He may have signed a promissory note or something to send them a check later or whatever, but the fact is they could not take the gas back and theyu couyld not arrest him.
>This may be an urban legend, but sometimes these things have basis' in fact. It probably actually happened but that is not testament to the law because cops do make mistakes. In fact nowadays they even lie.
Nowadays?
>I almost decided to run a scam based on that "law", I am not sure it is real. A buddy of mone was about to buy a shirtload of band equipment, digital recorder, bunch of mikes and a couplr of mixers and we were going to set up a little band. The store has this policy that results in you not getting proper warranty coverage if you do not give a phone number. I was looking for a way to use this "law" if it exuisats to prove legal discrtimnination, and offering cah money and being refused the same deal as someone who was willing to give out their phone number..... get the logic ? It never happened, and this is Ohio. See, the law in Ohio is just random letters andf they pick and choose at will, and brother have they got alot of will. The Constitution ? You can get thrown in ail here for just mentioning the Constitution, I shit you not.
There is no such law. Never has been.
>Anyway, thank you for attending my Saturday morning rant. The collection box is near the door, be generous as the price of beer is always rising.
On 9/28/2013 12:53 AM, Robert Baer wrote:
> hamilton wrote: >> On 9/27/2013 4:43 AM, mking@interquest.com wrote: >>> >>> Someone told me the new US $100 notes have a built-in microchip, or >>> RFID tag. >>> >>> Does anyone have further info on this? >>> >>> Martin King >>> >> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=security+features+of+us+currency >> > Did you see their lie "All U.S. currency remains legal tender, > regardless of when it was issued."? > Just TRY to use Gold Certificates or $1,000 notes...
I get stuck on that "In God We Trust" nonsense. Once you see that, the show is over.
Den l=F8rdag den 28. september 2013 21.57.29 UTC+2 skrev k...@attt.bizz:
> On Sat, 28 Sep 2013 07:50:17 -0700 (PDT), jurb6006@gmail.com wrote: >=20 >=20
snip
>>Of course you know it is damn hard to unpump gas. The station had a polic=
y=20
>>that they didn't take bills over $20 at night and all the guy had was fif=
ties=20
>>and up, but not enough on smaller demoninations to paty for the already=
=20
>>pumped gasoline.=20 >=20 >=20 >=20 > Someone allows you to pump before you pay? How quaint. ;-) >=20
that is the norm here, a few stations in remote places may make you pay=20 before you pump at night, but most don't and at ~9$/gallon it is not because it is cheap
>=20 >=20 >>The cops were called and then the sherriff, and the guy did not get=20 >>arrested, and everyone was surprised that they had to just give him the g=
as.=20
>>He may have signed a promissory note or something to send them a check la=
ter=20
>>or whatever, but the fact is they could not take the gas back and theyu=
=20
>>couyld not arrest him.=20 >=20
should have arrested him for wasting the polices time, shouldn't need a she= riff to use common sense; take the guys money or tell him to come back and = pay later=20 -Lasse