1N34A Germanium Diode finally found!!

Started by Unknown August 27, 2013
On 08/28/2013 11:10 PM, sms wrote:
> On 8/28/2013 5:23 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> On 8/28/2013 8:18 PM, sms wrote: >>> On 8/27/2013 7:27 PM, cgage.com@gmail.com wrote: >>>> I finally found some 1n34a diodes and one of my new favorite sites! >>>> >>>> http://www.bgmicro.com/1n34a-germanium-diode.aspx >>> >>> I would have suggested Polypaks. >>> >> >> Now _there's_ a blast from the past. I remember when Digikey was Poly >> Paks' main competitor, and Jameco was the gold standard. ;) > > I recall Jameco, well "James Electronics" as Digikey's competitor. Been > using both of them for at least 35 years. My first job out of college > was right across the street from James Electronics in San Carlos. Now I > do will call if I need something fast. > > There were some other surplus companies that were Polypak's competition. > A company in Florida called Knapp Electronics that printed their catalog > on newsprint. >
Yes, I think you're right--it was Digikey vs. Jameco and Poly Paks vs. the TV repair shop's dumpster. ;) Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On 08/29/2013 01:52 AM, Greegor wrote:
>> I remember when Digikey was Poly Paks' > main competitor, and >> Jameco was the > gold standard. ;) > > Electronics surplus was a blast back then. There was a Cortland > Electronics that advertized in the ad section at the back of many > electronic hobby magazines and had a short catalog of oddball stuff? > I remember they got surplus stock of big old Burroughs Nixie tubes > and circuit cards full of huge naked reed switches (originally > intended for telephone switching?) Each reed was like 2 1/2 inches > long and the sound they made when closed or opened was almost like a > musical tuning fork. > > My Dad taught me how to do high quality soldering when I was 9 or so. > I remember mounting an old tube TV power transformer in a box to > power an elementary school science fair project where I recreated > Edison's light bulb experiments by winding various types of iron wire > around a large sewing needle to make tiny coils and knowing that > vacuum and gas apparatus were out of reach for me at the time. The > large amperage 6.3V tube filament power would make the filaments glow > and then flare and burn open quite nicely. The higher voltage taps > were stubbed and insulated for safety. It was a nice science fair > project actually, kids liked seeing the filaments glow briefly and > then burn open. Good for elementary school. > > At 12 I was building simple audio oscillators that used two > multivibrator circuits so they warbled. My favorite used 2 PNP and 2 > NPN and by changing the various timing values the noise could be > varied wildly. My Dad wanted a loud noisemaker for the business > garage so I hung a power transistor and a big scavanged speaker at > the end and the warble would cut through a lot of engine noise. I > think I built that when I was like 13 and that loud thing kept > running for a decade at least. After a few years it surprised > somebody a bit too much so he put a pot or resistor in series with > the speaker to drop the volume and it kept running for many years. > > By the time I was 18 I was building projects and buying parts from > James Electronics (later Jameco) and Mouser. When I got into TTL I > actually missed drawing traces and pads by hand using Sharpie markers > as etch resist and etching with a bottle of Radio Shack Ferric > Chloride. I could do a one off pretty fast. I'd go over the traces a > second time with sharpie intil the sharpie ink was fairly dark to > guarantee good resist. When I was in college, a few times I would > wake up in the middle of the night with a TTL circuit idea I just had > to commit to paper right away. At least two of them were TTL and did > get built. > > The local electronics surplus retailers in Minneapolis had quite a > heyday in the late 1970's as well. Some hobbyist printed up and > handed out a map to the best dozen or so at one point. There was lots > of really good mil grade stuff surplused off cheap. >
There's a whole lot of generally pretty good Soviet stuff on eBay these days. I got a career's worth of 15 nF feedthrough caps, small ceramic trimmers, small panel pots, and high-ohm resistors. And the test equipment bonanza keeps on rolling. There are a lot of dealers now, but even so, top quality boat anchors are going for a very few cents on the dollar. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 20:10:38 -0700, sms <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>On 8/28/2013 5:23 PM, Phil Hobbs wrote: >> On 8/28/2013 8:18 PM, sms wrote: >>> On 8/27/2013 7:27 PM, cgage.com@gmail.com wrote: >>>> I finally found some 1n34a diodes and one of my new favorite sites! >>>> >>>> http://www.bgmicro.com/1n34a-germanium-diode.aspx >>> >>> I would have suggested Polypaks. >>> >> >> Now _there's_ a blast from the past. I remember when Digikey was Poly >> Paks' main competitor, and Jameco was the gold standard. ;) > >I recall Jameco, well "James Electronics" as Digikey's competitor. Been >using both of them for at least 35 years. My first job out of college >was right across the street from James Electronics in San Carlos. Now I >do will call if I need something fast. > >There were some other surplus companies that were Polypak's competition. >A company in Florida called Knapp Electronics that printed their catalog >on newsprint.
There a company with all kinds of cool stuff called Meshna?? or something like that.
John Larkin wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:55:24 +0000, chris <meru@devnull.com> wrote: > >> On 08/28/13 17:53, Jim Thompson wrote: >> >>> In the mid to late '80's I used 1N270's by the bucket load to clamp >>> LM324 and LM329 inputs, to avoid substrate diode injection and phase >>> inversion. >>> >>> ...Jim Thompson >> Anyone remember the GE "back" diodes ?. Same can as their tunnel diodes, >> but, iirc, very low forward voltage... >> >> Chris > > People still make Ge back diodes, as rf detectors. They are, I think, > the only planar "ic" type fabrication done in germanium, except > photodiodes maybe. >
In Europe we had mesa and planar Ge RF transistors. For example, this one was a hot commodity among the "discarded TV set pilfering" crowd because you could often find them hidden as the only transistors in tube sets: http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/44095/SIEMENS/AF239/244/1/AF239.html [...] -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
<raises hand> -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 23:30:04 -0500, "Tim Williams" <tmoranwms@charter.net>
wrote:

>"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in >message news:k2tq19hm62ir3fttudo16p2vu4meefdnk1@4ax.com... >> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:27:37 -0700 (PDT), cgage.com@gmail.com wrote: >> >>>I finally found some 1n34a diodes and one of my new favorite sites! >>> >>>http://www.bgmicro.com/1n34a-germanium-diode.aspx >> >> What do you want it for? A low-barrier schottky is probably better for >> most >> uses. > >Hmm, Vf and leakage are about the same, aren't they... tempco might be a >bit better for the schottky, it'll still be working around 100C (albeit >not so well) whereas the 1N34 will be a bad resistor. > >Speaking of resistors, I seem to recall testing point-contact diodes >before and seeing a couple of variations. Some (presumably, the oldest >and lowest-current types) are good resistors past, you know, 0.2V or so. >Others are good diodes up to much higher currents (not as good as, but >more like, modern diodes). > >Even if you had a diode with Vf ~= 0 and a lot of Rs, as long as Ir isn't >too bad, it wouldn't be so bad overall -- since it remains more linear, >distortion won't be so bad. SNR will be worse, of course, since the >desired signal is accordingly weaker. > >And hey, there's always 6AL5. I've pushed them to peak currents over 50mA >before just fine, and they have very nearly zero charge (SiC schottky >can't compare in capacitance). > >Tim
WWII radars used silicon, germanium, and even gaas point-contact diodes. One of the RadLab books casually mentions that "a semiconductor triode should be possible." One whole volume of the RadLab books is "Crystal Rectifiers." They knew a lot about semiconductor physics in 1940. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53724080/Parts/RadLabDiodes.JPG -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

<snip>

Poly Paks ad: <http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskay/4455981283/sizes/l/in/photostream/>
On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 07:43:18 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>John Larkin wrote: >> On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 22:55:24 +0000, chris <meru@devnull.com> wrote: >> >>> On 08/28/13 17:53, Jim Thompson wrote: >>> >>>> In the mid to late '80's I used 1N270's by the bucket load to clamp >>>> LM324 and LM329 inputs, to avoid substrate diode injection and phase >>>> inversion. >>>> >>>> ...Jim Thompson >>> Anyone remember the GE "back" diodes ?. Same can as their tunnel diodes, >>> but, iirc, very low forward voltage... >>> >>> Chris >> >> People still make Ge back diodes, as rf detectors. They are, I think, >> the only planar "ic" type fabrication done in germanium, except >> photodiodes maybe. >> > >In Europe we had mesa and planar Ge RF transistors. For example, this >one was a hot commodity among the "discarded TV set pilfering" crowd >because you could often find them hidden as the only transistors in tube >sets: > >http://html.alldatasheet.com/html-pdf/44095/SIEMENS/AF239/244/1/AF239.html > >[...]
There were big TO3 and stud Ge power transistors, and I'm guessing that they were a planar structure. If anybody has one, maybe they could decap it and take pictures. Germanium Power Devices was, I think, the last maker of Ge diodes and transistors. They are now "GPD" and make photodiodes. I think someone still makes Ge tunnel diodes. -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators
These guys seem to still build Ge-diodes: http://wxecl.en.china.cn/ But they state that they get the materials from overseas, so probably fabless. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On 8/29/2013 11:30 AM, SMS wrote:
> On 8/29/2013 6:43 AM, Phil Hobbs wrote: > > <snip> > >> Yes, I think you're right--it was Digikey vs. Jameco and Poly Paks vs. >> the TV repair shop's dumpster. ;) > > Poly Paks ad: > <http://www.flickr.com/photos/oskay/4455981283/sizes/l/in/photostream/>
"You're getting the same type of material that the RE-TESTERS DO!" Classic. Cheers Phil Hobbs -- Dr Philip C D Hobbs Principal Consultant ElectroOptical Innovations LLC Optics, Electro-optics, Photonics, Analog Electronics 160 North State Road #203 Briarcliff Manor NY 10510 USA +1 845 480 2058 hobbs at electrooptical dot net http://electrooptical.net