1N34A Germanium Diode finally found!!

Started by Unknown August 27, 2013
I finally found some 1n34a diodes and one of my new favorite sites!

http://www.bgmicro.com/1n34a-germanium-diode.aspx
On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 10:27:37 PM UTC-4, GC wrote:
> I finally found some 1n34a diodes and one of my new favorite sites! > > > > http://www.bgmicro.com/1n34a-germanium-diode.aspx
LOL- thanks for the tip-)
Ah yes, BG Micro, also, Electronics Goldmine, All Electronics, Surplus
Sales, and a number of others I don't remember so well.  They don't often
have what you need, and it is, quite literally, their business to know
what the market value of their products is, but they're still worth
watching for good deals.  After all, when's the last time Digikey or
Mouser had a "sale"? :)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

<cgage.com@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I finally found some 1n34a diodes and one of my new favorite sites! > > http://www.bgmicro.com/1n34a-germanium-diode.aspx
Might be of interest to others here as well:
http://www.bgmicro.com/FETMPF131.aspx

Tim

--

What do you want it for? A low-barrier schottky is probably better for most uses. -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators
"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in
message news:k2tq19hm62ir3fttudo16p2vu4meefdnk1@4ax.com...
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:27:37 -0700 (PDT), cgage.com@gmail.com wrote: > >>I finally found some 1n34a diodes and one of my new favorite sites! >> >>http://www.bgmicro.com/1n34a-germanium-diode.aspx > > What do you want it for? A low-barrier schottky is probably better for > most > uses.
Hmm, Vf and leakage are about the same, aren't they... tempco might be a bit better for the schottky, it'll still be working around 100C (albeit not so well) whereas the 1N34 will be a bad resistor. Speaking of resistors, I seem to recall testing point-contact diodes before and seeing a couple of variations. Some (presumably, the oldest and lowest-current types) are good resistors past, you know, 0.2V or so. Others are good diodes up to much higher currents (not as good as, but more like, modern diodes). Even if you had a diode with Vf ~= 0 and a lot of Rs, as long as Ir isn't too bad, it wouldn't be so bad overall -- since it remains more linear, distortion won't be so bad. SNR will be worse, of course, since the desired signal is accordingly weaker. And hey, there's always 6AL5. I've pushed them to peak currents over 50mA before just fine, and they have very nearly zero charge (SiC schottky can't compare in capacitance). Tim -- Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
1N34A is a classic for crystal radio sets.
Tim Williams wrote:
> "John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in > message news:k2tq19hm62ir3fttudo16p2vu4meefdnk1@4ax.com... >> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:27:37 -0700 (PDT), cgage.com@gmail.com wrote: >> >>> I finally found some 1n34a diodes and one of my new favorite sites! >>> >>> http://www.bgmicro.com/1n34a-germanium-diode.aspx >> What do you want it for? A low-barrier schottky is probably better for >> most >> uses. > > Hmm, Vf and leakage are about the same, aren't they...
The same? Half a year ago I had a case where I needed to quickly decode a weak RF signal, having only an oscilloscope available. Several small signal Schottky diodes only produced fuzz. Luckily I had hoarded scavenged Ge-Diodes as a kid and mostly carry some to sites. An OA85 wasn't a ton better but still so much that I was able to decipher the signal. Imagine, a diode in a large glass cylinder that is painted shiny black. Today's kids don't even recognize those as semiconductors. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Today's kids don't know the word "semiconductor" :-( Tim -- Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 07:21:40 -0700, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Tim Williams wrote: >> "John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in >> message news:k2tq19hm62ir3fttudo16p2vu4meefdnk1@4ax.com... >>> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 19:27:37 -0700 (PDT), cgage.com@gmail.com wrote: >>> >>>> I finally found some 1n34a diodes and one of my new favorite sites! >>>> >>>> http://www.bgmicro.com/1n34a-germanium-diode.aspx >>> What do you want it for? A low-barrier schottky is probably better for >>> most >>> uses. >> >> Hmm, Vf and leakage are about the same, aren't they... > > >The same? Half a year ago I had a case where I needed to quickly decode >a weak RF signal, having only an oscilloscope available. Several small >signal Schottky diodes only produced fuzz. Luckily I had hoarded >scavenged Ge-Diodes as a kid and mostly carry some to sites. An OA85 >wasn't a ton better but still so much that I was able to decipher the >signal. > >Imagine, a diode in a large glass cylinder that is painted shiny black. >Today's kids don't even recognize those as semiconductors.
Any idea why the ge diode worked better? The 1N34 data sheets are very sparse. None that I've seen have v-i curves, and they spec current of a few mA at ONE VOLT forward. Being a point contact device, capacitance is low and series resistance is high. I like the Skyworks SMS7621. 0.25 pF, around 300 mV at 1 mA, and way less series resistance than a 1N34. -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators