Forums

Canon PowerShot A85 PSU

Started by Syd Rumpo August 13, 2013
A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know the polarity of the external 
4.3V DC power supply jack for a Canon PowerShot A85 Camera?  Canon don't 
say.

Cheers
-- 
Syd
On 13/08/2013 11:27, Syd Rumpo wrote:
> A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know the polarity of the external > 4.3V DC power supply jack for a Canon PowerShot A85 Camera? Canon don't > say.
Cancel that, took a gamble on +ve centre and that's right. Cheers -- Syd
Syd Rumpo <usenet@nononono.co.uk> writes:

> On 13/08/2013 11:27, Syd Rumpo wrote: >> A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know the polarity of the external >> 4.3V DC power supply jack for a Canon PowerShot A85 Camera? Canon don't >> say. > > Cancel that, took a gamble on +ve centre and that's right.
That's what I always do :) -- John Devereux
On 13/08/2013 8:31 PM, John Devereux wrote:
> Syd Rumpo <usenet@nononono.co.uk> writes: > >> On 13/08/2013 11:27, Syd Rumpo wrote: >>> A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know the polarity of the external >>> 4.3V DC power supply jack for a Canon PowerShot A85 Camera? Canon don't >>> say. >> >> Cancel that, took a gamble on +ve centre and that's right. > > That's what I always do :) > >
So did I until the smoke got out of a cordless phone base station.....
On 8/13/2013 5:06 AM, Syd Rumpo wrote:
> On 13/08/2013 11:27, Syd Rumpo wrote: >> A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know the polarity of the external >> 4.3V DC power supply jack for a Canon PowerShot A85 Camera? Canon don't >> say. > > Cancel that, took a gamble on +ve centre and that's right.
You're lucky because Canon has a history of putting +V on the ring, and GND on the tip.
On 13/08/2013 15:29, sms wrote:
> On 8/13/2013 5:06 AM, Syd Rumpo wrote: >> On 13/08/2013 11:27, Syd Rumpo wrote: >>> A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know the polarity of the external >>> 4.3V DC power supply jack for a Canon PowerShot A85 Camera? Canon don't >>> say. >> >> Cancel that, took a gamble on +ve centre and that's right. > > You're lucky because Canon has a history of putting +V on the ring, and > GND on the tip. >
It wasn't pure luck in fact. I couldn't measure any voltage on the plug I tried at first, so I assumed it was disconnected from the camera batteries, but when I tried a different plug - which fitted better - battery volts or enough leakage thereof could be measured so the polarity was clear. So not really a gamble, I just said that to make me more attractive to girls. Cheers -- Syd
On 2013-08-13, Gonadicus <gonadicus@no_spam.com> wrote:
> On 13/08/2013 8:31 PM, John Devereux wrote: >> Syd Rumpo <usenet@nononono.co.uk> writes: >> >>> On 13/08/2013 11:27, Syd Rumpo wrote: >>>> A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know the polarity of the external >>>> 4.3V DC power supply jack for a Canon PowerShot A85 Camera? Canon don't >>>> say. >>> >>> Cancel that, took a gamble on +ve centre and that's right. >> >> That's what I always do :) >> > > So did I until the smoke got out of a cordless phone base station.....
Panasonic? Both mine still worked afterwards. -- &#9858;&#9859; 100% natural --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
On 22/08/2013 4:59 PM, Jasen Betts wrote:
> On 2013-08-13, Gonadicus <gonadicus@no_spam.com> wrote: >> On 13/08/2013 8:31 PM, John Devereux wrote: >>> Syd Rumpo <usenet@nononono.co.uk> writes: >>> >>>> On 13/08/2013 11:27, Syd Rumpo wrote: >>>>> A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know the polarity of the external >>>>> 4.3V DC power supply jack for a Canon PowerShot A85 Camera? Canon don't >>>>> say. >>>> >>>> Cancel that, took a gamble on +ve centre and that's right. >>> >>> That's what I always do :) >>> >> >> So did I until the smoke got out of a cordless phone base station..... > > Panasonic? Both mine still worked afterwards. >
Actually I think it was a Panasonic. Quite an old one - largish cream coloured handset, no LCD anything fancy.
On 2013-08-22, Gonadicus <gonadicus@no_spam.com> wrote:
> On 22/08/2013 4:59 PM, Jasen Betts wrote: >> On 2013-08-13, Gonadicus <gonadicus@no_spam.com> wrote: >>> On 13/08/2013 8:31 PM, John Devereux wrote: >>>> Syd Rumpo <usenet@nononono.co.uk> writes: >>>> >>>>> On 13/08/2013 11:27, Syd Rumpo wrote: >>>>>> A bit of a long shot, but does anyone know the polarity of the external >>>>>> 4.3V DC power supply jack for a Canon PowerShot A85 Camera? Canon don't >>>>>> say. >>>>> >>>>> Cancel that, took a gamble on +ve centre and that's right. >>>> >>>> That's what I always do :) >>>> >>> >>> So did I until the smoke got out of a cordless phone base station..... >> >> Panasonic? Both mine still worked afterwards. > > Actually I think it was a Panasonic. Quite an old one - largish cream > coloured handset, no LCD anything fancy.
I've owned three Panasonics with centre negative, the first two (a plain cream handset, and a black flip-phone) came used, and without power supplies and only bore the legend "DC12V". they were initially tested with wrong polarity and smoked a little, but after correcting the supply polarity they worked fine, I haven't investigated (since they worked), but suspect there was a crowbar diode in there that produced some smoke but survived.. A newer panasonic model has voltage and polariy marked 5V centre positive. -- &#9858;&#9859; 100% natural --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---