Forums

Power outlet on air planes and ground wire ?

Started by Skybuck Flying July 28, 2013
Hello,

I was just wondering... since the plane is in the air... and maybe have
power outlets ?! What happens with the ground wire ?

Do planes have ground ? Since there is no ground ? HUH ?!

This posting in light of the chinese stewardess that got fried because of
apple charger ?! ;)

Bye,
  Skybuck.

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:05:45 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
<Windows7IsOK@DreamPC2006.com> wrote:

>I was just wondering... since the plane is in the air... and maybe have >power outlets ?! What happens with the ground wire ? >Do planes have ground ? Since there is no ground ? HUH ?! >This posting in light of the chinese stewardess that got fried because of >apple charger ?! ;)
Did you read the news reports? <http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/15/apple-investigating-electrocution-death-of-chinese-flight-attendant-while-charging-iphone/> She was not in the air but in her bathtub, presumably taking a bath and possibly talking on the phone while it was charging, when she was electrocuted. There was no airplane involved. <http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html> <http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-you.html> -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Perhaps ;)

But I still wonder about my question ?

Anybody with a bath tub in a plane ? ;)

Maybe she lived on a plane and called it her home :)

Bye,
  Skybuck :)

On 28/07/13 18:32, Skybuck Flying wrote:
> Perhaps ;) > > But I still wonder about my question ? > > Anybody with a bath tub in a plane ? ;) > > Maybe she lived on a plane and called it her home :) > > Bye, > Skybuck :) >
Get back on the meds sunshine !!
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:05:45 +0200, Skybuck Flying wrote:

> Hello, > > I was just wondering... since the plane is in the air... and maybe have > power outlets ?! What happens with the ground wire ? > > Do planes have ground ? Since there is no ground ? HUH ?! > > This posting in light of the chinese stewardess that got fried because > of apple charger ?! ;)
I was wondering. Since the earth is flying through a vacuum, and maybe has houses with ground wires, what happens to the ground wire? Does the earth have a ground? Since it is surrounded by a medium with no ground? HUH ?! I guess I can just stop wiring my house so that the electrical potential of the ground wire in the outlet matches the electrical potential of my floor and any surrounding metal objects, thereby vastly reducing the chances that I'll get electrocuted, because it isn't "really" ground. Questions asked from ignorance are not stupid. Questions asked from an inability to think through the issues are not stupid. Questions asked by smart people who have all the information available to them but are too damned lazy to figure out the answer -- those are stupid. -- Tim Wescott Control system and signal processing consulting www.wescottdesign.com
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 01:34:22 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:05:45 +0200, "Skybuck Flying" > <Windows7IsOK@DreamPC2006.com> wrote: > > >>I was just wondering... since the plane is in the air... and maybe have >>power outlets ?! What happens with the ground wire ? >>Do planes have ground ? Since there is no ground ? HUH ?! >>This posting in light of the chinese stewardess that got fried because >>of apple charger ?! ;) > > Did you read the news reports? > <http://9to5mac.com/2013/07/15/apple-investigating-electrocution-death-
of-chinese-flight-attendant-while-charging-iphone/>
> She was not in the air but in her bathtub, presumably taking a bath and > possibly talking on the phone while it was charging, when she was > electrocuted. There was no airplane involved. > <http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-
quality.html>
> <http://www.righto.com/2012/03/inside-cheap-phone-charger-and-why-
you.html> He read the news report. He asked questions about it here. They were answered, and in my opinion many of the answers were reasonable, informative, and thought provoking. But apparently he just wants to be stroked: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_troll -- Tim Wescott Control system and signal processing consulting www.wescottdesign.com

I wonder what is the overall voltage of Planet Earth with respect to the universe. I think I read somewhere that it was small. -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators
"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:30:32 -0500, Tim Wescott <tim@seemywebsite.please> > wrote: > >>On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 10:05:45 +0200, Skybuck Flying wrote: >> >>> Hello, >>> >>> I was just wondering... since the plane is in the air... and maybe have >>> power outlets ?! What happens with the ground wire ? >>> >>> Do planes have ground ? Since there is no ground ? HUH ?! >>> >>> This posting in light of the chinese stewardess that got fried because >>> of apple charger ?! ;) >> >>I was wondering. Since the earth is flying through a vacuum, and maybe >>has houses with ground wires, what happens to the ground wire? >> >>Does the earth have a ground? Since it is surrounded by a medium with no >>ground? HUH ?! >> > > I wonder what is the overall voltage of Planet Earth with respect to the > universe. I think I read somewhere that it was small. >
Doesn't suprise me with all the free energy nut jobs tapping into it. -Tom
"John Larkin" <jjlarkin@highNOTlandTHIStechnologyPART.com> wrote in
message news:rihav8trbug7qqrjaspjfd2jos3qjq5spi@4ax.com...
> I wonder what is the overall voltage of Planet Earth with respect to the > universe. I think I read somewhere that it was small.
I think it's only a few million volts, due to static charge rubbed off by solar wind (i.e., the difference in mass between electrons and protons causes an imbalance in ionization). If it were any more, the ~MeV charged particles wouldn't be able to approach, hence the limit. IIRC, the capacitance of the Earth is 0.7uF or something like that, which suggests a paltry charge of a coulomb or so. The ionosphere to the surface is a much more substantial 45mF, and carries much more charge. The Sun might be more, but probably not by very much (it doesn't make many GeV level particles, and I can't think of any other physical phenomenon that could cause excess charge), which is pretty impressive given its size: the average electric field is quite small indeed. Considering the material falling into a black hole is pretty well neutral for the above reason, it stands to reason that a black hole would also be fairly neutral; then again, the accretion process could be launching more electrons than protons off those polar jets, so the voltage it could achieve could be much greater. Since the Coulomb force has the same form as the gravitational force, it should be possible to calculate when a super-charged black hole starts radiating its own charge away faster than it could be introduced (analogous to Hawking radiation, where gravity pulls apart space, allowing particles to radiate), putting an absolute limit on electric field in the vacuum, and on what voltage an event horizon can have. (The singularity itself will be a singularity in both gravitational and electric fields, but who cares about anything past the event horizon?) Tim -- Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 12:32:35 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"

http://curbed.com/archives/2013/04/10/inside-the-500m-flying-palace-sold-by-a-saudi-prince.phphttp://curbed.com/archives/2013/04/10/inside-the-500m-flying-palace-sold-by-a-saudi-prince.php A Saudi prince wanted to install a swimming pool into his private A380, but Airbus refused, but why ? There are of course various center of gravity issues, as well as issues with take-off and landing, But would it be much different than with a KC-135 Stratoanker filled with water or DC-10/MD-11 used to combat forest fires ?