OT: Can CMOS battery on PC motherboard be hot-swapped?

Started by Joerg February 24, 2013
Joerg Inscribed thus:

> Done, new battery is in. Did a power-down into hibernate, came back up > like usual. The old battery still measures 3.272V but when loading it > with as light a load as 10k it collapses to 2.5V. With 1k it goes to > 1.6V. So I guess the old battery was truly exhausted. It was made by > "Newsun" in Japan, never hear of that brand.
A tip that might be usefull... A yellow led with the leads sprung across the battery will give an instant indication of the battery state. -- Best Regards: Baron.
Well, it's already done. So not I am wondering about the laptops. They've got to have such batteries as well. Maybe time to check those out. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 15:42:39 -0800, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid>

>Well, it's already done. So not I am wondering about the laptops. >They've got to have such batteries as well. Maybe time to check those out.
Laptops do not have button cell holders. They have wire leads spot welded or soldered to the button battery, a short pair of wires, and a tiny connector. The battery is insulated in shrink tube. The ritual is the same if you want to preserve the settings. Leave the power applied to the laptop and the laptop running. Unplug the old battery and quickly insert the new battery. Most such batteries are easily accessible through a door on the bottom of the laptop, although there are a few abominations where the manufacturer elected to hide the battery in difficult to find location. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
yeah. but be careful if you drop it it could short something out, -- &#9858;&#9859; 100% natural --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
On 2013-02-24, SoothSayer <SaySooth@TheMonastery.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:02:48 -0800, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> > wrote: > >>Folks, >> >>Got a Dell Vostro 200 mini tower with XP on there that seems to be a bit >>off in the realtime clock lately. Around five years old so needs a new >>3V coin cell on the mobo. >> >>In order not to lose all the setup stuff, can those CR2032 coin cells be >>hot-swapped while the PC is running? >> >>Of course using ESD straps, being careful and all that.
> the BIOS flash update utility has a backup feature which keeps settings > as well. > you back it up, swap the battery, and then re-apply the backed up flash > image.
The BIOS flash is not the config CMOS NVRAM
> And yes, you CAN apply an external 3V source to the MOBO. Just > remember that you will be fighting the very low internal resistance of a > dead battery for the few seconds you are under power as you remove it, > and for the few seconds you re under external power as you install the > new one.
dead battery is about 50 ohms and 2.7 volts
> clock sources, but most do not, and your most accurate clock possible is > your cell phone, or iPad or other cell system connected or GPS enabled > device. Always bet to keep your PC's clock referenced to such a more > accurate source. > > Internet updates are prone to latency errors , so do not expect better > than plus or minus about 1.5 seconds in that realm.
NTP is much better than that. -- &#9858;&#9859; 100% natural --- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: news@netfront.net ---
On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:59:35 -0800, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

[snip]
> [...]
[snip] RTC's are often rather crappy. I use Socketwatch from... http://www.robomagic.com I'm currently within 50ms of UTC/ ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

That's $10. I use Time synchronizer from Softnik Technologies. Better yet, it's free. http://time-synchronizer.software.informer.com/
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:28:41 -0500, JW <none@dev.null> wrote:

>On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 07:47:15 -0700 Jim Thompson ><To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote in Message id: ><t4umi895422qgofrhvoi0c9pja7fqf2cic@4ax.com>: > >>On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 10:59:35 -0800, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> >>wrote: >> >>[snip] >>>> >>> >>>That's odd. Because the PC here is always sent to hibernate and the >>>power is turned off. But it remains connected to 120VAC. Still, this >>>morning the RTC was off again by more than five minutes from yesterday. >>> >>> >>[snip] >> >>RTC's are often rather crappy. >> >>I use Socketwatch from... >> >> http://www.robomagic.com >> >>I'm currently within 50ms of UTC/ >> > >That's $10. I use Time synchronizer from Softnik Technologies. Better yet, >it's free. http://time-synchronizer.software.informer.com/
Sounds like that synchronizer is functional only at boot or manually... "A simple time synchronizer that may be configured to startup at Windows boot, automatically connect to an atomic clock based time server, synchronize the system clock and then quit." My machines run 24/7. My Socketwatch set-up automatically synchronizes every 60 minutes (you can set it to any interval you want). Socketwatch also has a convenient tool to synchronize your watch to the second... count down and "beep-beep-beep-BOING" like the old time signals on your AM radio. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 15:42:39 -0800, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> > wrote: > >> Well, it's already done. So not I am wondering about the laptops. >> They've got to have such batteries as well. Maybe time to check those out. > > Laptops do not have button cell holders. They have wire leads spot > welded or soldered to the button battery, a short pair of wires, and a > tiny connector. The battery is insulated in shrink tube. The ritual > is the same if you want to preserve the settings. Leave the power > applied to the laptop and the laptop running. Unplug the old battery > and quickly insert the new battery. Most such batteries are easily > accessible through a door on the bottom of the laptop, although there > are a few abominations where the manufacturer elected to hide the > battery in difficult to find location. >
Why does the change have to be quick? Isn't the circuit powered as long as the laptop is? Because then one could solder in a new battery and re-use the connector instead of shelling out lots of dough for a specialty battery plus shipping charges. Hey, it's nice, this morning the PC showed the correct time again :-) What I really don't understand why in this day and age they don't write the settings into flash. I mean, we even successfully do that on totally cheapo uC design. -- Regards, Joerg http://www.analogconsultants.com/
On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 09:54:28 -0800, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann wrote: >> On Sun, 24 Feb 2013 15:42:39 -0800, Joerg <invalid@invalid.invalid> >> wrote: >> >>> Well, it's already done. So not I am wondering about the laptops. >>> They've got to have such batteries as well. Maybe time to check those out. >> >> Laptops do not have button cell holders. They have wire leads spot >> welded or soldered to the button battery, a short pair of wires, and a >> tiny connector. The battery is insulated in shrink tube. The ritual >> is the same if you want to preserve the settings. Leave the power >> applied to the laptop and the laptop running. Unplug the old battery >> and quickly insert the new battery. Most such batteries are easily >> accessible through a door on the bottom of the laptop, although there >> are a few abominations where the manufacturer elected to hide the >> battery in difficult to find location.
>Why does the change have to be quick? Isn't the circuit powered as long >as the laptop is?
In the dark ages of laptops, the clock and CMOS memory were powered by the main battery with the button cell as a diode isolated backup. The button cell would draw no current until the main battery was either removed or depleted. Somewhere about 10 years ago, the clock chips and CMOS (serial) memory started drawing less power than the self leakage on the button cell. So, it was decided to just run them on the CMOS battery and not involve the main battery. I found this out the hard way by unplugging the battery with the computer running, and losing both the clock and CMOS settings. There's usually an electrolytic capacitor across the battery to deal with battery changes. I don't know how long it is expected to last, but it's probably measured in seconds. I'm not 100% sure of the above, but I can check when I get to the office tomorrow, where I have some laptop schematics.
>Because then one could solder in a new battery and >re-use the connector instead of shelling out lots of dough for a >specialty battery plus shipping charges.
If your soldering iron is grounded and your charger grounds the laptop case, you'll probably short the battery terminals as soon as you hit it with the soldering iron tip. Also, replacement batteries are something like $3 to $8/ea, which is not a big deal. If you must roll your own, you can salvage a battery connector and cable from a dead laptop at the local recycler, and use that with a new battery.
>Hey, it's nice, this morning the PC showed the correct time again :-)
Every time your PC loses an interrupt, the clock drops 15.6 msec. That's because most I/O devices have priority over the timer ticks. If you're doing lots of disk bashing or playing a DVD movie, you're going to see the clock slow down. How much depends on how many interrupts are lost. Drivel: Many years ago, I decided that I wanted GPS accuracy on my office Unix server. I took the NEMA 183 output from an old Garmin 65 GPS, parsed the data with a shell script, and reset the PC clock according to the GPS time. What I forgot to include was a sanity check on the data. When the receiver lost sync, the GPS would produce 00:00:00 etc as the current time. It took a while to clean up my log files and recover from that mistake. This is another reason why I don't do much programming.
Here's what's stored in the CMOS: <http://www.bioscentral.com/misc/cmosmap.htm> Note that the first few bytes are the RTC current time and date (but not the TZ time zone). This info gets written to the CMOS chip once every second. If that were flash memory with an optimistic 100,000 write/erase cycles, the flash chip would be dead in several days. -- Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com 150 Felker St #D http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558