Forums

Charge gel cell with car charger?

Started by Mike Cook February 24, 2013
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:54:29 -0000, "Ian Field"
<gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > >"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message >news:20qsi85cd3m4f18uhs253s4tilbeu28gs9@4ax.com...
>> Posted the same thing twice, huh? > > >Actually I was wondering if WLM is yet another flaky POS designed by you - >it sometimes jams up in the outbox, then sends it twice next time the app is >started.
--- Certainly if WLM was my creation it would work as advertised, as everything I do does. If it doesn't, for you, then I'd suspect cockpit error is the problem and you should get in touch with Microsoft instead of whining about your problems to me. An easy solution for your problem would be for you to get a real newsreader and blow off Microsoft, but how likely is that to happen when all you want to do is fix the blame instead of the problem? -- JF
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 22:02:54 -0000, "Ian Field"
<gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > >"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message >news:rtosi81fiefb5ob9i0r6vqo2ki5cdhkgrt@4ax.com... >> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:17:04 -0000, "Ian Field" >> <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote: >> >>> >>> >>>"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message >>>news:mcbqi8t00ur6s6sk6kmuskjtkpg28fegtm@4ax.com... >> >>>> My request was about having you describe the dynamics of a >>>> light-bulb-in-series-with-a-battery current limiter which, no matter >>>> how loudly or how long you squeal excuses about why you can't, you >>>> can't, of course. >>> >>>The bulb trick isn't that great because of its pronounced PTC >>>characteristic - as the filament voltage decreases the current doesn't >>>decrease in due proportion. >> >> --- >> ??? >> >> If a you want the current to change linearly with voltage, then a >> simple resistor will do the trick so, obviously, you don't understand >> how the bulb trick works. >> --- >> >>>I did try to dumb it down for you - I do hope I didn't use too many big >>>words for you! >> >> --- >> The words are no problem but it seems, for you, the theory _is_. >> >> Would you like me to explain how the bulb trick works in terms even >> you could understand? > > >You're so scattered I wouldn't trust anything from you even if it "looked" >right!
--- So far, everything you thought "looked right" wasn't, so you're certainly in no position to judge. ---
>All that weed you keep smoking has given you dopers crott.
--- You seem to be talking about something you know nothing about and issuing edicts based on fear. Do you have any experience with marijuana? -- JF
On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 17:41:03 -0500, Jamie
<jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1lpa_@charter.net> wrote:

>John Fields wrote: >> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013 18:44:16 -0500, Jamie >> <jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1lpa_@charter.net> wrote: >> >> >>>John Fields wrote: >> >> >>>>Wow, with your super-quick response, you must really want me to notice >>>>you and have you suck my dick or have me fuck you up the ass... >>>> >>>>Sorry, Charlie... >>>> >>> >>>One of your fetishes? >>> >>>Jamie >> >> >> --- >> No, just conjecture, but it's interesting how, when the conversation >> turns lewd, you people are drawn to it like a moth to a flame. >> > Well, a lot of us love to watch a circus side show..
--- Especially, when for a couple of bucks, you can go backstage and watch how a scantilly clad maiden escapes death? -- JF
Jamie wrote:
> > > Well, a lot of us love to watch a circus side show..
AKA: The Philbrick family reunion.

"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message 
news:da3ti8t3271hgl1tumgdhk9nh46mjrfc32@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 21:54:29 -0000, "Ian Field" > <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote: > >> >> >>"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message >>news:20qsi85cd3m4f18uhs253s4tilbeu28gs9@4ax.com... > >>> Posted the same thing twice, huh? >> >> >>Actually I was wondering if WLM is yet another flaky POS designed by you - >>it sometimes jams up in the outbox, then sends it twice next time the app >>is >>started. > > --- > Certainly if WLM was my creation it would work as advertised, as > everything I do does. > > If it doesn't, for you, then I'd suspect cockpit error is the problem > and you should get in touch with Microsoft instead of whining about > your problems to me.
You were whining about the double post - I told you why that happened - now you're doing yet more whining!!!

"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message 
news:005ti8teodnr7f85qiknk5sqn420iec20o@4ax.com...
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 22:02:54 -0000, "Ian Field" > <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote: > >> >> >>"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message >>news:rtosi81fiefb5ob9i0r6vqo2ki5cdhkgrt@4ax.com... >>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:17:04 -0000, "Ian Field" >>> <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote: >>> >>>> >>>> >>>>"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message >>>>news:mcbqi8t00ur6s6sk6kmuskjtkpg28fegtm@4ax.com... >>> >>>>> My request was about having you describe the dynamics of a >>>>> light-bulb-in-series-with-a-battery current limiter which, no matter >>>>> how loudly or how long you squeal excuses about why you can't, you >>>>> can't, of course. >>>> >>>>The bulb trick isn't that great because of its pronounced PTC >>>>characteristic - as the filament voltage decreases the current doesn't >>>>decrease in due proportion. >>> >>> --- >>> ??? >>> >>> If a you want the current to change linearly with voltage, then a >>> simple resistor will do the trick so, obviously, you don't understand >>> how the bulb trick works. >>> --- >>> >>>>I did try to dumb it down for you - I do hope I didn't use too many big >>>>words for you! >>> >>> --- >>> The words are no problem but it seems, for you, the theory _is_. >>> >>> Would you like me to explain how the bulb trick works in terms even >>> you could understand? >> >> >>You're so scattered I wouldn't trust anything from you even if it "looked" >>right! > > --- > So far, everything you thought "looked right" wasn't, so you're > certainly in no position to judge. > --- > >>All that weed you keep smoking has given you dopers crott. > > --- > You seem to be talking about something you know nothing about and > issuing edicts based on fear.
From the scattered states I've seen dopers like you get in, I'm very glad I know nothing about it.

"mike" <ham789@netzero.net> wrote in message 
news:kgm2o9$pn9$1@dont-email.me...
> On 2/27/2013 12:09 PM, John Fields wrote: >> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:17:04 -0000, "Ian Field" >> <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote: >> >>> >>> >>> "John Fields"<jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message >>> news:mcbqi8t00ur6s6sk6kmuskjtkpg28fegtm@4ax.com... >> >>>> My request was about having you describe the dynamics of a >>>> light-bulb-in-series-with-a-battery current limiter which, no matter >>>> how loudly or how long you squeal excuses about why you can't, you >>>> can't, of course. >>> >>> The bulb trick isn't that great because of its pronounced PTC >>> characteristic - as the filament voltage decreases the current doesn't >>> decrease in due proportion. >> >> --- >> ??? >> >> If a you want the current to change linearly with voltage, then a >> simple resistor will do the trick so, obviously, you don't understand >> how the bulb trick works. >> --- >> >>> I did try to dumb it down for you - I do hope I didn't use too many big >>> words for you! >> >> --- >> The words are no problem but it seems, for you, the theory _is_. >> >> Would you like me to explain how the bulb trick works in terms even >> you could understand? > > I understand how the light bulb works, but I'm very interested in > hearing YOUR explanation. >
When the battery terminal voltage is low and the drop across the filament is high; the bulb does its best job of current limiting - just when high charging current would be no bad thing. As the battery terminal voltage approaches or exceeds the required voltage, the inherent PTC characteristic of the filament means as it cools its resistance falls, its much less effective as a current limiter - just when the (possibly overcharging) battery needs it most. The bulb as a current limiter is less than ideal for battery charging - but better than nothing if you don't have a float capable charger to hand. I didn't bother to dumb it down for JF - you can draw pictures for him as a homework excercise.
On 2/28/2013 9:23 AM, Ian Field wrote:
> > > "mike" <ham789@netzero.net> wrote in message > news:kgm2o9$pn9$1@dont-email.me... >> On 2/27/2013 12:09 PM, John Fields wrote: >>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:17:04 -0000, "Ian Field" >>> <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote: >>> >>>> >>>> >>>> "John Fields"<jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message >>>> news:mcbqi8t00ur6s6sk6kmuskjtkpg28fegtm@4ax.com... >>> >>>>> My request was about having you describe the dynamics of a >>>>> light-bulb-in-series-with-a-battery current limiter which, no matter >>>>> how loudly or how long you squeal excuses about why you can't, you >>>>> can't, of course. >>>> >>>> The bulb trick isn't that great because of its pronounced PTC >>>> characteristic - as the filament voltage decreases the current doesn't >>>> decrease in due proportion. >>> >>> --- >>> ??? >>> >>> If a you want the current to change linearly with voltage, then a >>> simple resistor will do the trick so, obviously, you don't understand >>> how the bulb trick works. >>> --- >>> >>>> I did try to dumb it down for you - I do hope I didn't use too many big >>>> words for you! >>> >>> --- >>> The words are no problem but it seems, for you, the theory _is_. >>> >>> Would you like me to explain how the bulb trick works in terms even >>> you could understand? >> >> I understand how the light bulb works, but I'm very interested in >> hearing YOUR explanation. >> > > When the battery terminal voltage is low and the drop across the > filament is high; the bulb does its best job of current limiting - just > when high charging current would be no bad thing. As the battery > terminal voltage approaches or exceeds the required voltage, the > inherent PTC characteristic of the filament means as it cools its > resistance falls, its much less effective as a current limiter - just > when the (possibly overcharging) battery needs it most. > > The bulb as a current limiter is less than ideal for battery charging - > but better than nothing if you don't have a float capable charger to hand. > > I didn't bother to dumb it down for JF - you can draw pictures for him > as a homework excercise.
So, you're saying that a light bulb can work very well for current charging as long as you pick the voltage and the bulb correctly. Also, a light bulb can work well to limit the maximum charge current to stay within the limits of the battery and charger, even in the event of shorted cells or other faults...as long as you pick the voltage and bulb correctly. You can do better. You can abuse any charge method. IMHO, the bang for the buck of a light bulb current limiter is second to none when properly applied.
On 27/02/2013 10:23 a.m., John Fields wrote:

> But, more than likely not, since I requested that you elaborate with > an explanation of your "tricks" and you reply with snippage and > dodging. >
Mine is bigger than yours
On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:12:44 -0000, "Ian Field"
<gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote:

> > >"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message >news:005ti8teodnr7f85qiknk5sqn420iec20o@4ax.com... >> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 22:02:54 -0000, "Ian Field" >> <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote: >> >>> >>> >>>"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message >>>news:rtosi81fiefb5ob9i0r6vqo2ki5cdhkgrt@4ax.com... >>>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 16:17:04 -0000, "Ian Field" >>>> <gangprobing.alien@ntlworld.com> wrote: >>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>>"John Fields" <jfields@austininstruments.com> wrote in message >>>>>news:mcbqi8t00ur6s6sk6kmuskjtkpg28fegtm@4ax.com... >>>> >>>>>> My request was about having you describe the dynamics of a >>>>>> light-bulb-in-series-with-a-battery current limiter which, no matter >>>>>> how loudly or how long you squeal excuses about why you can't, you >>>>>> can't, of course. >>>>> >>>>>The bulb trick isn't that great because of its pronounced PTC >>>>>characteristic - as the filament voltage decreases the current doesn't >>>>>decrease in due proportion. >>>> >>>> --- >>>> ??? >>>> >>>> If a you want the current to change linearly with voltage, then a >>>> simple resistor will do the trick so, obviously, you don't understand >>>> how the bulb trick works. >>>> --- >>>> >>>>>I did try to dumb it down for you - I do hope I didn't use too many big >>>>>words for you! >>>> >>>> --- >>>> The words are no problem but it seems, for you, the theory _is_. >>>> >>>> Would you like me to explain how the bulb trick works in terms even >>>> you could understand? >>> >>> >>>You're so scattered I wouldn't trust anything from you even if it "looked" >>>right! >> >> --- >> So far, everything you thought "looked right" wasn't, so you're >> certainly in no position to judge. >> --- >> >>>All that weed you keep smoking has given you dopers crott. >> >> --- >> You seem to be talking about something you know nothing about and >> issuing edicts based on fear. > > >From the scattered states I've seen dopers like you get in, I'm very glad I >know nothing about it.
--- Ignorance is bliss and, scattered, to you, seems to be your fearful evaluation of someone functioning on a higher plane which isn't within your grasp. As we often say, "Reality is for those who can't handle drugs." -- JF