Forums

measuring voltage at a distance with a LASER

Started by Tom Del Rosso January 28, 2013
If his guess is right, and if an electric field and a magnetic field both
affect light polarization, how can the probe tell if you're looking at a
high voltage or a high current?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2rnKExMiY

zero, and remove the last word.

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> If his guess is right, and if an electric field and a magnetic field > both affect light polarization, how can the probe tell if you're > looking at a high voltage or a high current? > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2rnKExMiY
Then I noticed the posting date. If it's 3/31 in the US then it's 4/1 in Austrailia. -- Reply in group, but if emailing add one more zero, and remove the last word.
Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> > If his guess is right, and if an electric field and a magnetic field both > affect light polarization, how can the probe tell if you're looking at a > high voltage or a high current? > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2rnKExMiY
Use the laser to read the bardcodes on each electron, to get the exact current flow. ;-)
I like that fabric they have on the chairs, it's a company in NC. <http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/382464> cheers
In article <ke76jm$3hb$1@dont-email.me>,
 "Tom Del Rosso" <tomd_u1@verizon.net.invalid> wrote:

> If his guess is right, and if an electric field and a magnetic field both > affect light polarization, how can the probe tell if you're looking at a > high voltage or a high current? > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q2rnKExMiY
Because the details of the hardware are highly obfuscated, I tend to be skeptical of the entire process. From what I know of the magnetic Faraday effect and the Pockels effect, I even more skeptical although a many good buzz words were used. To start, air would have extremely weak Faraday and Pockels effects. To get significant signal, you would have to run a rod, albeit an insulating clear rod with large Verdet and electro-optical constants, to the point of measurement. It would be the Pockels polariztion shift that measures the integrated electric field (potential difference) along the path. The integrated Faraday shift would measure current flowing in a cable. That is all I have to say for now because I do not wish to expend more effort on a highly hypothetical measuring instrument. Post when you have significantly more detailed description on configuration. -- Sam Conservatives are against Darwinism but for natural selection. Liberals are for Darwinism but totally against any selection.
On Mon, 28 Jan 2013 22:16:03 -0500, Martin Riddle wrote:

> I like that fabric they have on the chairs, it's a company in NC. > <http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric/382464>
I noticed that too. While I'm not a huge fan of schematic diagrams, let's just say that this cloth has a certain "decorator potential"!