12V Circuit breakers for auto battery chargers

Started by Unknown January 9, 2013
I have a battery charger that is rated at 2, 15, or 100 amps.  It's a
Everstart WM-1510 ma model.  (Walmart).  I found that Schumacher has an
identical charger model SE-1510 ma.  That says these Everstart chargers
are made by Schumacher.

Anyhow, the 12v circuit breaker has died and will not reset.  That seems
to be the most common problem on all chargers.

My question is this.  The Schumacher replacement breaker is rated at 12V
35A.  Since the charger is rated to produce 100A, why are they only
using a 35A breaker?

My next question is this:
I can purchase the identical replacement from Centurytool.net for $15.
While I found a place on ebay that has them for $6 (incl shipping).  Of
course I'll go with the cheaper ones, since this charger is old anyhow,
so I dont want to sink a lot of money in it.  The only problem is that
the ones on ebay are either 12V 30A, or 12V 40A.  (They dont have a
35A).  I'm not sure which would be better.  A 30A would protect the
components more, but would that breaker trip all the time?  A 40A is not
that much higher, and might make the breaker last longer, since these
things seem prone to failure anyhow.

Which would be the better choice, the 30A or the 40A?

Thanks

On 1/9/2013 11:58 AM, handyman@home.com wrote:
> I have a battery charger that is rated at 2, 15, or 100 amps. It's a > Everstart WM-1510 ma model. (Walmart). I found that Schumacher has an > identical charger model SE-1510 ma. That says these Everstart chargers > are made by Schumacher. > > Anyhow, the 12v circuit breaker has died and will not reset. That seems > to be the most common problem on all chargers. > > My question is this. The Schumacher replacement breaker is rated at 12V > 35A. Since the charger is rated to produce 100A, why are they only > using a 35A breaker?
It's a safety issue. The charger isn't rated to put out 100A continuously. It's for car starting. If the car starts before the breaker flips, you're good to go. You also don't want joe sixpack to put 100A into a battery with a shorted cell for very long.
> > My next question is this: > I can purchase the identical replacement from Centurytool.net for $15.
What's your definition of "identical".
> While I found a place on ebay that has them for $6 (incl shipping). Of > course I'll go with the cheaper ones, since this charger is old anyhow, > so I dont want to sink a lot of money in it. The only problem is that > the ones on ebay are either 12V 30A, or 12V 40A. (They dont have a > 35A). I'm not sure which would be better. A 30A would protect the > components more, but would that breaker trip all the time? A 40A is not > that much higher, and might make the breaker last longer, since these > things seem prone to failure anyhow. > > Which would be the better choice, the 30A or the 40A?
It's a 15A charger, so may not make any practical difference that you'd be able to determine from a one-line description on an EBAY page.
handyman@home.com wrote:
> > I have a battery charger that is rated at 2, 15, or 100 amps. It's a > Everstart WM-1510 ma model. (Walmart). I found that Schumacher has an > identical charger model SE-1510 ma. That says these Everstart chargers > are made by Schumacher. > > Anyhow, the 12v circuit breaker has died and will not reset. That seems > to be the most common problem on all chargers. > > My question is this. The Schumacher replacement breaker is rated at 12V > 35A. Since the charger is rated to produce 100A, why are they only > using a 35A breaker? > > My next question is this: > I can purchase the identical replacement from Centurytool.net for $15. > While I found a place on ebay that has them for $6 (incl shipping). Of > course I'll go with the cheaper ones, since this charger is old anyhow, > so I dont want to sink a lot of money in it. The only problem is that > the ones on ebay are either 12V 30A, or 12V 40A. (They dont have a > 35A). I'm not sure which would be better. A 30A would protect the > components more, but would that breaker trip all the time? A 40A is not > that much higher, and might make the breaker last longer, since these > things seem prone to failure anyhow. > > Which would be the better choice, the 30A or the 40A?
Can't you buy it from a local car parts place?
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 13:46:22 -0800, mike <ham789@netzero.net> wrote:

>> My next question is this: >> I can purchase the identical replacement from Centurytool.net for $15. > >What's your definition of "identical". >
Direct link from manufacture's website, for parts ordering.
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:11:11 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >handyman@home.com wrote: >> >> I have a battery charger that is rated at 2, 15, or 100 amps. It's a >> Everstart WM-1510 ma model. (Walmart). I found that Schumacher has an >> identical charger model SE-1510 ma. That says these Everstart chargers >> are made by Schumacher. >> >> Anyhow, the 12v circuit breaker has died and will not reset. That seems >> to be the most common problem on all chargers. >> >> My question is this. The Schumacher replacement breaker is rated at 12V >> 35A. Since the charger is rated to produce 100A, why are they only >> using a 35A breaker? >> >> My next question is this: >> I can purchase the identical replacement from Centurytool.net for $15. >> While I found a place on ebay that has them for $6 (incl shipping). Of >> course I'll go with the cheaper ones, since this charger is old anyhow, >> so I dont want to sink a lot of money in it. The only problem is that >> the ones on ebay are either 12V 30A, or 12V 40A. (They dont have a >> 35A). I'm not sure which would be better. A 30A would protect the >> components more, but would that breaker trip all the time? A 40A is not >> that much higher, and might make the breaker last longer, since these >> things seem prone to failure anyhow. >> >> Which would be the better choice, the 30A or the 40A? > > > Can't you buy it from a local car parts place?
Since it's for a battery charger, and not a vehicle, I never thought to ask. But I can call and find out....
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:11:11 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >handyman@home.com wrote: >> >> I have a battery charger that is rated at 2, 15, or 100 amps. It's a >> Everstart WM-1510 ma model. (Walmart). I found that Schumacher has an >> identical charger model SE-1510 ma. That says these Everstart chargers >> are made by Schumacher. >> >> Anyhow, the 12v circuit breaker has died and will not reset. That seems >> to be the most common problem on all chargers. >> >> My question is this. The Schumacher replacement breaker is rated at 12V >> 35A. Since the charger is rated to produce 100A, why are they only >> using a 35A breaker? >> >> My next question is this: >> I can purchase the identical replacement from Centurytool.net for $15. >> While I found a place on ebay that has them for $6 (incl shipping). Of >> course I'll go with the cheaper ones, since this charger is old anyhow, >> so I dont want to sink a lot of money in it. The only problem is that >> the ones on ebay are either 12V 30A, or 12V 40A. (They dont have a >> 35A). I'm not sure which would be better. A 30A would protect the >> components more, but would that breaker trip all the time? A 40A is not >> that much higher, and might make the breaker last longer, since these >> things seem prone to failure anyhow. >> >> Which would be the better choice, the 30A or the 40A? > > > Can't you buy it from a local car parts place?
Just to update this, I called the local parts stores. Most said they dont have such a thing. One said he could look if I know what make and model of car has them. A couple of them referred me to a local rebuilder for starters, alternators, and electric motors. I've dealt with that place and have never had a good opinion of the place or the owner. For example, I took in a starter, and he charged me $90 to rebuild it. (I could have bought a rebuilt starter for $60 at the parts store). Worse yet, he did not rebuild it properly, because it quit working a couple days later, leaving me stranded. He made me remove it from the car, tested it, and said there was nothing wrong with it, and claimed it was something wrong with my car. I reinstalled it, cleaned all cables and terminals. A week later it quit again, once again, he made me remove it. When I took it to him, I told him that I wanted a completely different starter. He refused, so I phoned my lawyer who showed up in his shop and threatened him with legal action. He did give me another starter, and it worked. But that cost me lawyer fees on top of his ripoff price. Anyhow, I did call that asshole today, and he said he can get those parts, When I asked the price, he said he would have to contact Schumacher and he could order parts for me. But he said that he would not order any parts until he tested the transformer and rectifiers in my charger. He said that the transformer is probably shot. I told him that I already did test everything, and everythin is fine, I just need the breaker. I went on to tell him it does charge a battery if I jumper across the breaker. He clearly told me that unless I'm in his line of business, that I dont know how to test it properly, but said that he'll be happy to repair the charger for me........ I wont repeat the words I said before I slammed down the phone. I can order from Schumacher myself directly. I dont need that asshole. But I'd prefer to buy the much cheaper parts on ebay. It's just a fairly cheap battery charger. But hey, I fix what I can. Money dont grow on trees, and I hate dumping repairable stuff in landfills. If I had the part, it would already be fixed. It's a 15 minute repair.
handyman@home.com wrote:
> > On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:11:11 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell" > <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: > > > > >handyman@home.com wrote: > >> > >> I have a battery charger that is rated at 2, 15, or 100 amps. It's a > >> Everstart WM-1510 ma model. (Walmart). I found that Schumacher has an > >> identical charger model SE-1510 ma. That says these Everstart chargers > >> are made by Schumacher. > >> > >> Anyhow, the 12v circuit breaker has died and will not reset. That seems > >> to be the most common problem on all chargers. > >> > >> My question is this. The Schumacher replacement breaker is rated at 12V > >> 35A. Since the charger is rated to produce 100A, why are they only > >> using a 35A breaker? > >> > >> My next question is this: > >> I can purchase the identical replacement from Centurytool.net for $15. > >> While I found a place on ebay that has them for $6 (incl shipping). Of > >> course I'll go with the cheaper ones, since this charger is old anyhow, > >> so I dont want to sink a lot of money in it. The only problem is that > >> the ones on ebay are either 12V 30A, or 12V 40A. (They dont have a > >> 35A). I'm not sure which would be better. A 30A would protect the > >> components more, but would that breaker trip all the time? A 40A is not > >> that much higher, and might make the breaker last longer, since these > >> things seem prone to failure anyhow. > >> > >> Which would be the better choice, the 30A or the 40A? > > > > > > Can't you buy it from a local car parts place? > > Just to update this, I called the local parts stores. Most said they > dont have such a thing. One said he could look if I know what make and > model of car has them.
I've seen them used in place of fuses for the headlights on cars, School buses & RVs. Is there an RV dealer near you? As far as the idiot you talked to, battery chargers aren't rocket science, and the repair people in that field aren't all that smart.
On 1/9/2013 2:25 PM, handyman@home.com wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 13:46:22 -0800, mike<ham789@netzero.net> wrote: > >>> My next question is this: >>> I can purchase the identical replacement from Centurytool.net for $15. >> >> What's your definition of "identical". >> > Direct link from manufacture's website, for parts ordering. >
Sounds like the obvious solution.
<handyman@home.com> wrote in message
> I have a battery charger that is rated at 2, 15, or 100 amps. It's a > Everstart WM-1510 ma model. (Walmart). I found that Schumacher has > an > identical charger model SE-1510 ma. That says these Everstart > chargers > are made by Schumacher. > > Anyhow, the 12v circuit breaker has died and will not reset. That > seems > to be the most common problem on all chargers. > > My question is this. The Schumacher replacement breaker is rated at > 12V > 35A. Since the charger is rated to produce 100A, why are they only > using a 35A breaker? > > My next question is this: > I can purchase the identical replacement from Centurytool.net for $15. > While I found a place on ebay that has them for $6 (incl shipping). > Of > course I'll go with the cheaper ones, since this charger is old > anyhow, > so I dont want to sink a lot of money in it. The only problem is that > the ones on ebay are either 12V 30A, or 12V 40A. (They dont have a > 35A). I'm not sure which would be better. A 30A would protect the > components more, but would that breaker trip all the time? A 40A is > not > that much higher, and might make the breaker last longer, since these > things seem prone to failure anyhow. > > Which would be the better choice, the 30A or the 40A? > > Thanks >
Sounds like a custom auto breaker. Most Automotive breakers are 15, 20 or 30A. I'd order it thru Schumacher. There might be a reason it's 35A and it may have a special thermal curve. Cheers
On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 19:56:36 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
<mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote:

> >handyman@home.com wrote: >> >> On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 17:11:11 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell" >> <mike.terrell@earthlink.net> wrote: >> >> > >> >handyman@home.com wrote: >> >> >> >> I have a battery charger that is rated at 2, 15, or 100 amps. It's a >> >> Everstart WM-1510 ma model. (Walmart). I found that Schumacher has an >> >> identical charger model SE-1510 ma. That says these Everstart chargers >> >> are made by Schumacher. >> >> >> >> Anyhow, the 12v circuit breaker has died and will not reset. That seems >> >> to be the most common problem on all chargers. >> >> >> >> My question is this. The Schumacher replacement breaker is rated at 12V >> >> 35A. Since the charger is rated to produce 100A, why are they only >> >> using a 35A breaker? >> >> >> >> My next question is this: >> >> I can purchase the identical replacement from Centurytool.net for $15. >> >> While I found a place on ebay that has them for $6 (incl shipping). Of >> >> course I'll go with the cheaper ones, since this charger is old anyhow, >> >> so I dont want to sink a lot of money in it. The only problem is that >> >> the ones on ebay are either 12V 30A, or 12V 40A. (They dont have a >> >> 35A). I'm not sure which would be better. A 30A would protect the >> >> components more, but would that breaker trip all the time? A 40A is not >> >> that much higher, and might make the breaker last longer, since these >> >> things seem prone to failure anyhow. >> >> >> >> Which would be the better choice, the 30A or the 40A? >> > >> > >> > Can't you buy it from a local car parts place? >> >> Just to update this, I called the local parts stores. Most said they >> dont have such a thing. One said he could look if I know what make and >> model of car has them. > > > I've seen them used in place of fuses for the headlights on cars, >School buses & RVs. Is there an RV dealer near you? >
Ok, I know they are used in vehicles, but I didn't know what for. Now that you told me, I'll have to chack around for RV dealers.
> As far as the idiot you talked to, battery chargers aren't rocket >science, and the repair people in that field aren't all that smart.
You got that right.... A battery charger is one of the most simple electric devices I can think of repairing, (except for getting the parts for some of them). It's just a basic power supply with an amp meter. That idiot is not smart, he just thinks he is, and does his best to make everyone look like they know nothing. Almost everyone in town hates the guy, and they all go to another motor rebuilder in another town about 25 miles away. That includes the auto parts store right across the street. If the parts store cant get the part, they recommend the repair guy 25 miles away, rather than this idiot who's shop is right across the street. Even my lawyer has a few choice words to say when he went there about that starter issue. The charger does work just fine, except for that breaker. I wired a regular 30A plug fuse across the breaker, and charged up my car battery before. At least I can use it till I get the part. I only had it charge on the 15A setting, so I knew the fuse would hold up, but still be there in case of a dead short. Most dead shorts are caused because the clips touch each other when we're hooking them up. It never fails! I always wondered why they dont put some covering on the clips so only the teeth are bare. That would not be rocket science either!