Bifilar Wound Balun Transformer

Started by rickman November 3, 2012
"John Larkin" <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote in message
news:6tej98pr9faetrfr04ju36v3n8jpirtgj7@4ax.com...
> Spice is all double floats, no? 1e6 isn't a very big number. A current > sampler is open-loop so won't have convergence problems.
What the numbers are doesn't matter, the solver uses iterative algorithms that save inverting the whole N x N matrix. Matrix operations are O(N^3), so a modest circuit with 100 nodes takes about 10^6 more operations than a basic battery and lightbulb circuit. And that's if it guessed the correct timestep the first time, which very rarely occurs. SPICE throws away a *lot* of computation. Obviously, you've never simulated anything of significance, or you'd know this. The degree of these approximations is controlled by the simulation parameters, which experienced users understand must be optimized for a given model to avoid slowing to a crawl (with default settings, LTSpice likes to wander off into the picoseconds, eating glue) or generating errors (most often "timestep too small"). Tim -- Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk. Website: http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms
On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 20:24:28 -0600, "Tim Williams"
<tmoranwms@charter.net> wrote:

>"John Larkin" <jlarkin@highlandtechnology.com> wrote in message >news:6tej98pr9faetrfr04ju36v3n8jpirtgj7@4ax.com... >> Spice is all double floats, no? 1e6 isn't a very big number. A current >> sampler is open-loop so won't have convergence problems. > >What the numbers are doesn't matter, the solver uses iterative algorithms >that save inverting the whole N x N matrix. Matrix operations are O(N^3), >so a modest circuit with 100 nodes takes about 10^6 more operations than a >basic battery and lightbulb circuit. And that's if it guessed the correct >timestep the first time, which very rarely occurs. SPICE throws away a >*lot* of computation. > >Obviously, you've never simulated anything of significance,
Only a couple of hundred million dollars worth. My first simulation, when I was about 20, was of a 32,000 horsepower steamship propulsion system, all the way from the my control system to the hull moving through the water. I didn't use Spice. It worked just fine. -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators
On Nov 7, 11:14=A0am, Jamie
<jamie_ka1lpa_not_valid_after_ka1l...@charter.net> wrote:
> BillSlomanwrote: > > On Nov 7, 8:23 am, John Larkin <jlar...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote: > > >>On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 19:49:14 +0100, Fred Bartoli <" "> wrote: > > >>>John Larkin a crit : > > >>>>On Sun, 04 Nov 2012 18:57:27 +0100, Fred Bartoli <" "> wrote: > > >>>>>Fred Abse a crit : > > >>>>>>On Sat, 03 Nov 2012 18:50:54 -0500, Tim Williams wrote: > > >>>>>>>The important thing about transmission line transformers is to for=
get
Congratulations on coming up with an idea. You don't do it often. For extra credit come up with an idea that makes some kind of sense - you haven't yet, but while there's life there's hope. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney
On Nov 7, 12:42=A0pm, John Larkin <jlar...@highlandtechnology.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 02:30:01 +0100, Fred Bartoli <" "> wrote: > > > > > > > > > > >John Larkin a crit : > >> On Tue, 6 Nov 2012 15:29:35 -0800 (PST),BillSloman > >> <bill.slo...@ieee.org> wrote: > > >>> On Nov 7, 8:23 am, John Larkin <jlar...@highlandtechnology.com> wrote=
:
CVS,
> > Spice is all double floats, no? 1e6 isn't a very big number. A current > sampler is open-loop so won't have convergence problems. > > LT Spice sometimes does weird things with time steps, especially if a > circuit has radically different time constants here and there, or > mysterious stuff inside a part model. Real transistors seem to stress > it, too. Somebody should write a book or article about all that.
It's been done. I think I referenced a text on the subject in my Ph.D. thesis back in 1969. -- Bill Sloman, Sydney