Forums

OT: Network continually stalling

Started by Robert Baer October 27, 2012
   Have NIC card replacing on-board Ethernet support now; made zero
difference WRT problems:
1) Say i attempt to login to my Google e-mail or other account OR change
pages while browsing (say looking for parts on Mouser website).
   Data transmission and reception STOPS for an indeterminate amount of
time and may or may not continue for an indeterminate amount of time -
sometimes "forever".
2) In NGs, say i click on a posting to view it and not a damn thing
happens; must then click on a different posting and re-try the one i
want - doing that almost always selects and shows what i wanted.
3) In NGs, say i write a response and click on send; sometimes the
progress bar runs essentially forever. Most of the time closing down the
browser will fix that, but not always.

   In all cases (AFAIK for NGs), absolutely ZERO packets are sent or
received.
   Avast! e-mail help suggested the use of one of the tools listed at:
https://www.google.com/search?q=software+that+monitors%2Flogs+network+traffic%3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=pl&client=firefox-a&hs=7wy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=software+monitors%2Flogs+network+traffic&oq=software+monitors%2Flogs+network+traffic&gs_l=serp.3...4238.5476.0.5980.4.3.1.0.0.0.66.183.3.3.0...0.0...1c.1.pJ8QTVS1X5A&pbx=1&fp=1&bpcl=35466521&biw=1920&bih=1040&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&cad=b&sei=Gf6KULvuGY62qQHF7YDICQ

   Sorry about the l*o*n*g reference; that is what was given.
   Using a short Google query "software monitors/logs network traffic"
gives a LOT more "hits", and it might me a "good idea" (according to
Martha Stewart) to avoid that if possible, as there are no "filters".

   Does anyone KNOW which ones (a) work, (b) does NOT and CANNOT crash
the computer - most especially does NOT and CANNOT crash the OS?
   Te second part is *VERY* important,as the last time i tried a
suggested malware "finder", everything was clobbered (would you believe
a black screen with a license violation message?).
On a sunny day (Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:00:49 -0800) it happened Robert Baer
<robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in <Y7Iis.3389$iq6.1941@newsfe21.iad>:

> Have NIC card replacing on-board Ethernet support now; made zero >difference WRT problems: >1) Say i attempt to login to my Google e-mail or other account OR change >pages while browsing (say looking for parts on Mouser website). > Data transmission and reception STOPS for an indeterminate amount of >time and may or may not continue for an indeterminate amount of time - >sometimes "forever". >2) In NGs, say i click on a posting to view it and not a damn thing >happens; must then click on a different posting and re-try the one i >want - doing that almost always selects and shows what i wanted. >3) In NGs, say i write a response and click on send; sometimes the >progress bar runs essentially forever. Most of the time closing down the >browser will fix that, but not always.
First thing I always do when shit happens is: ping 8.8.8.8 if that works, network OK, check computer. If not: traceroute IP_ADDRESS see where it stops. ping it too. OS system you use? If designed by Microsoft it is probably normal.
On 27/10/2012 05:00, Robert Baer wrote:
> Have NIC card replacing on-board Ethernet support now; made zero > difference WRT problems: > 1) Say i attempt to login to my Google e-mail or other account OR change > pages while browsing (say looking for parts on Mouser website). > Data transmission and reception STOPS for an indeterminate amount of > time and may or may not continue for an indeterminate amount of time - > sometimes "forever".
When you say "network" do you mean ethernet, ADSL or wet string? If you are still on a dial-up modem then buffer overruns are the most likely cause of trouble on a Winmodem. ipconfig/all and then ping members of your own network in isolation and only then try external connections and hopcheck them to see where it goes wrong or stalls. DNS faults or routing problems at your ISP can cause stalls but user error is by far the most likely explanation.
> 2) In NGs, say i click on a posting to view it and not a damn thing > happens; must then click on a different posting and re-try the one i > want - doing that almost always selects and shows what i wanted. > 3) In NGs, say i write a response and click on send; sometimes the > progress bar runs essentially forever. Most of the time closing down the > browser will fix that, but not always. > > In all cases (AFAIK for NGs), absolutely ZERO packets are sent or > received. > Avast! e-mail help suggested the use of one of the tools listed at: > https://www.google.com/search?q=software+that+monitors%2Flogs+network+traffic%3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#hl=pl&client=firefox-a&hs=7wy&rls=org.mozilla:en-US%3Aofficial&sclient=psy-ab&q=software+monitors%2Flogs+network+traffic&oq=software+monitors%2Flogs+network+traffic&gs_l=serp.3...4238.5476.0.5980.4.3.1.0.0.0.66.183.3.3.0...0.0...1c.1.pJ8QTVS1X5A&pbx=1&fp=1&bpcl=35466521&biw=1920&bih=1040&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&cad=b&sei=Gf6KULvuGY62qQHF7YDICQ > > > Sorry about the l*o*n*g reference; that is what was given. > Using a short Google query "software monitors/logs network traffic" > gives a LOT more "hits", and it might me a "good idea" (according to > Martha Stewart) to avoid that if possible, as there are no "filters". > > Does anyone KNOW which ones (a) work, (b) does NOT and CANNOT crash > the computer - most especially does NOT and CANNOT crash the OS? > Te second part is *VERY* important,as the last time i tried a > suggested malware "finder", everything was clobbered (would you believe > a black screen with a license violation message?).
Power tools in the hands of amateurs often result in collateral damage. -- Regards, Martin Brown
I've noticed over the last month or two, on RoadRunner at least, that I
often have to repeat a request before it will complete.

Examples:
- Here, on eternal-september.org, after a period of inactivity (say,
reading a long post, or writing one), the server times out and I have to
reconnect to download another message.  Very often, the connection simply
hangs.  Stop and restart the request, and it connects immediately.
- The first time I view a webpage in some length of time (hours to days
perhaps?), the webpage won't load.  Refreshing (or re-clicking the link)
makes it go.
- Or, when loading a webpage, the design uses a separate "media" server
for images, which don't load, or only load partially.  Refreshing
downloads all images immediately.

A traceroute won't help much because you have to catch it in the act -- if
you see something not working and tracert in response, it'll magically
work again.  Or the first packet to the problem node will be dropped, but
all subsequent ones go fine.

I have a sneaking suspicion this kind of behavior has to do with those
monitoring and sharing-and-copyright-limiting actions you see in the news,
but I don't have a clue how one might prove that.

Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:00:49 -0800, Robert Baer wrote:

> Does anyone KNOW which ones (a) work, (b) does NOT and CANNOT crash > the computer - most especially does NOT and CANNOT crash the OS?
Capturing network packets requires a device driver. If there are any bugs in that driver, it can crash the OS. So, there are no guarantees, but that's true for any device driver, including the ones written by Microsoft, Intel, nVidia et al. For Windows, I would recommend wireshark: http://www.wireshark.org/ It works, and it is probably the least likely to crash the OS (by virtue of being mature, actively developed, and widely used).
Jan Panteltje wrote:
> On a sunny day (Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:00:49 -0800) it happened Robert Baer > <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote in<Y7Iis.3389$iq6.1941@newsfe21.iad>: > >> Have NIC card replacing on-board Ethernet support now; made zero >> difference WRT problems: >> 1) Say i attempt to login to my Google e-mail or other account OR change >> pages while browsing (say looking for parts on Mouser website). >> Data transmission and reception STOPS for an indeterminate amount of >> time and may or may not continue for an indeterminate amount of time - >> sometimes "forever". >> 2) In NGs, say i click on a posting to view it and not a damn thing >> happens; must then click on a different posting and re-try the one i >> want - doing that almost always selects and shows what i wanted. >> 3) In NGs, say i write a response and click on send; sometimes the >> progress bar runs essentially forever. Most of the time closing down the >> browser will fix that, but not always. > > First thing I always do when shit happens is: > ping 8.8.8.8 > if that works, network OK, check computer. > If not: > traceroute IP_ADDRESS > see where it stops. > ping it too. > > OS system you use? > If designed by Microsoft it is probably normal. > >
I ping Google when system is stalled; results look good but rarrely does the ping "kick" it out of what i call snooze mode. "traceroute" is not a recognized blahblah.. must be the spelling. In any case, what do i use for IP_ADDRESS as it may be variable (soi cannot make a batch program). I now use Win2K, but used to NEVER have these problems.
Martin Brown wrote:
> On 27/10/2012 05:00, Robert Baer wrote: >> Have NIC card replacing on-board Ethernet support now; made zero >> difference WRT problems: >> 1) Say i attempt to login to my Google e-mail or other account OR change >> pages while browsing (say looking for parts on Mouser website). >> Data transmission and reception STOPS for an indeterminate amount of >> time and may or may not continue for an indeterminate amount of time - >> sometimes "forever". > > When you say "network" do you mean ethernet, ADSL or wet string?
* Ethernet direcly to Comcast modem.
> > If you are still on a dial-up modem then buffer overruns are the most > likely cause of trouble on a Winmodem.
* Damn! dial-up was many years ago and i have always told people to NEVER use "Winmodem"..a TeleType would be far better..
> > ipconfig/all and then ping members of your own network in isolation and > only then try external connections and hopcheck them to see where it > goes wrong or stalls. DNS faults or routing problems at your ISP can > cause stalls but user error is by far the most likely explanation.
* See above, also the infamous and so-called "user error" cannot exist in the modes i described.
Tim Williams wrote:
> I've noticed over the last month or two, on RoadRunner at least, that I > often have to repeat a request before it will complete. > > Examples: > - Here, on eternal-september.org, after a period of inactivity (say, > reading a long post, or writing one), the server times out and I have to > reconnect to download another message. Very often, the connection simply > hangs. Stop and restart the request, and it connects immediately. > - The first time I view a webpage in some length of time (hours to days > perhaps?), the webpage won't load. Refreshing (or re-clicking the link) > makes it go. > - Or, when loading a webpage, the design uses a separate "media" server > for images, which don't load, or only load partially. Refreshing > downloads all images immediately. > > A traceroute won't help much because you have to catch it in the act -- if > you see something not working and tracert in response, it'll magically > work again. Or the first packet to the problem node will be dropped, but > all subsequent ones go fine. > > I have a sneaking suspicion this kind of behavior has to do with those > monitoring and sharing-and-copyright-limiting actions you see in the news, > but I don't have a clue how one might prove that. > > Tim >
What you describe is rather close to what i see. Thanks for the correct mispelling for traceroute.. I see that TraceRT Google has significant pauses before completing a number of the lines shown. As i vaguely remember in the (dim) past, before this problem, there were almost no pauses - about a line per second with no flim-flam. Do those pauses indicate a "shadow" relating to the problems i see?
Nobody wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:00:49 -0800, Robert Baer wrote: > >> Does anyone KNOW which ones (a) work, (b) does NOT and CANNOT crash >> the computer - most especially does NOT and CANNOT crash the OS? > > Capturing network packets requires a device driver. If there are any bugs > in that driver, it can crash the OS. So, there are no guarantees, but > that's true for any device driver, including the ones written by > Microsoft, Intel, nVidia et al. > > For Windows, I would recommend wireshark: > > http://www.wireshark.org/ > > It works, and it is probably the least likely to crash the OS (by virtue > of being mature, actively developed, and widely used). >
Thanks; will try that on a BACKUP copy. Decided to get ver 1.6 instead of latest 1.8 (32-bit,natch with hopes Win2K will allow it).
Robert Baer has brought this to us :
> Nobody wrote: >> On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 20:00:49 -0800, Robert Baer wrote: >> >>> Does anyone KNOW which ones (a) work, (b) does NOT and CANNOT crash >>> the computer - most especially does NOT and CANNOT crash the OS? >> >> Capturing network packets requires a device driver. If there are any bugs >> in that driver, it can crash the OS. So, there are no guarantees, but >> that's true for any device driver, including the ones written by >> Microsoft, Intel, nVidia et al. >> >> For Windows, I would recommend wireshark: >> >> http://www.wireshark.org/ >> >> It works, and it is probably the least likely to crash the OS (by virtue >> of being mature, actively developed, and widely used). >> > Thanks; will try that on a BACKUP copy. Decided to get ver 1.6 instead of > latest 1.8 (32-bit,natch with hopes Win2K will allow it).
You started out I thiink relatig this problem to News Groups. Does your local ISP use a service from GigaNews as mine (IInet) here in Aus does? For the last week or more it has been very eratic much like you describe with no apparent problems for Internet or Email. Whatever the problem it seems to have been fixed now. -- John G