Forums

Delta Sigma DAC article

Started by Charlie E. September 28, 2012
Hi All,
Ok, going crazy (short trip, I know...)

A few months ago, I saw an article that included information on delta
sigma DACs, inlcuding some code the author had written, I belive for
an 8051, to implement one in software.  So, now that I finally want to
try it out, I can't find it anywhere.  Anyone know what magazine or
have a link to that article?  I thought it was in EDN, but can't find
it searching their site

Or if someone has a link to some sample C code for a D/S DAC that I
could examine, I would appreciate it.  Just trying to get my head
around the practice as opposed to the theory...

Thanks,
Charlie
On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:14:40 -0700, Charlie E. <edmondson@ieee.org>
wrote:

>Hi All, >Ok, going crazy (short trip, I know...) > >A few months ago, I saw an article that included information on delta >sigma DACs, inlcuding some code the author had written, I belive for >an 8051, to implement one in software. So, now that I finally want to >try it out, I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know what magazine or >have a link to that article? I thought it was in EDN, but can't find >it searching their site > >Or if someone has a link to some sample C code for a D/S DAC that I >could examine, I would appreciate it. Just trying to get my head >around the practice as opposed to the theory... > >Thanks, >Charlie
I receive EDN as a PDF. I have at least a year's worth still saved. No such article found, so maybe another magazine? ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:05:20 -0700, Jim Thompson
<To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:14:40 -0700, Charlie E. <edmondson@ieee.org> >wrote: > >>Hi All, >>Ok, going crazy (short trip, I know...) >> >>A few months ago, I saw an article that included information on delta >>sigma DACs, inlcuding some code the author had written, I belive for >>an 8051, to implement one in software. So, now that I finally want to >>try it out, I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know what magazine or >>have a link to that article? I thought it was in EDN, but can't find >>it searching their site >> >>Or if someone has a link to some sample C code for a D/S DAC that I >>could examine, I would appreciate it. Just trying to get my head >>around the practice as opposed to the theory... >> >>Thanks, >>Charlie > >I receive EDN as a PDF. I have at least a year's worth still saved. >No such article found, so maybe another magazine? > > ...Jim Thompson
Must have been. Embedded? It definitely wasn't Circuit Cellar... :-(
"Charlie E." <edmondson@ieee.org> wrote in message
> Hi All, > Ok, going crazy (short trip, I know...) > > A few months ago, I saw an article that included information on delta > sigma DACs, inlcuding some code the author had written, I belive for > an 8051, to implement one in software. So, now that I finally want to > try it out, I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know what magazine or > have a link to that article? I thought it was in EDN, but can't find > it searching their site > > Or if someone has a link to some sample C code for a D/S DAC that I > could examine, I would appreciate it. Just trying to get my head > around the practice as opposed to the theory... > > Thanks, > Charlie
The April 2012 issue of Circuit Cellar has a good article on sigma-delta modulators (ADCs & DACs). No code but a bunch of references.
On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:14:40 -0700, Charlie E. wrote:

> Hi All, > Ok, going crazy (short trip, I know...) > > A few months ago, I saw an article that included information on delta > sigma DACs, inlcuding some code the author had written, I belive for an > 8051, to implement one in software. So, now that I finally want to try > it out, I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know what magazine or have a > link to that article? I thought it was in EDN, but can't find it > searching their site > > Or if someone has a link to some sample C code for a D/S DAC that I > could examine, I would appreciate it. Just trying to get my head around > the practice as opposed to the theory... > > Thanks, > Charlie
Here's the one I wrote. The code's generic, but it may work on an 8051. Do keep in mind that the code is written for clarity, not efficiency: it always scares me a bit when someone just uses my code without thinking. http://www.embedded.com/design/configurable-systems/4006431/Sigma-delta- techniques-extend-DAC-resolution -- Tim Wescott Control system and signal processing consulting www.wescottdesign.com

or http://goo.gl/IuZGN for the long URI impaired ;) Grant.
On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:11:02 -0700, Charlie E. wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:05:20 -0700, Jim Thompson > <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: > >>On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:14:40 -0700, Charlie E. <edmondson@ieee.org> >>wrote: >> >>>Hi All, >>>Ok, going crazy (short trip, I know...) >>> >>>A few months ago, I saw an article that included information on delta >>>sigma DACs, inlcuding some code the author had written, I belive for an >>>8051, to implement one in software. So, now that I finally want to try >>>it out, I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know what magazine or have a >>>link to that article? I thought it was in EDN, but can't find it >>>searching their site >>> >>>Or if someone has a link to some sample C code for a D/S DAC that I >>>could examine, I would appreciate it. Just trying to get my head >>>around the practice as opposed to the theory... >>> >>>Thanks, >>>Charlie >> >>I receive EDN as a PDF. I have at least a year's worth still saved. No >>such article found, so maybe another magazine? >> >> ...Jim Thompson > Must have been. Embedded? It definitely wasn't Circuit Cellar... :-(
It was Circuit Cellar (April 2012 page 42). I actually implemented the design on a ATtiny2313.
On 30 Sep 2012 18:55:19 GMT, Jaded Hobo <jaded@hobo.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:11:02 -0700, Charlie E. wrote: > >> On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:05:20 -0700, Jim Thompson >> <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >> >>>On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:14:40 -0700, Charlie E. <edmondson@ieee.org> >>>wrote: >>> >>>>Hi All, >>>>Ok, going crazy (short trip, I know...) >>>> >>>>A few months ago, I saw an article that included information on delta >>>>sigma DACs, inlcuding some code the author had written, I belive for an >>>>8051, to implement one in software. So, now that I finally want to try >>>>it out, I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know what magazine or have a >>>>link to that article? I thought it was in EDN, but can't find it >>>>searching their site >>>> >>>>Or if someone has a link to some sample C code for a D/S DAC that I >>>>could examine, I would appreciate it. Just trying to get my head >>>>around the practice as opposed to the theory... >>>> >>>>Thanks, >>>>Charlie >>> >>>I receive EDN as a PDF. I have at least a year's worth still saved. No >>>such article found, so maybe another magazine? >>> >>> ...Jim Thompson >> Must have been. Embedded? It definitely wasn't Circuit Cellar... :-( > >It was Circuit Cellar (April 2012 page 42). I actually implemented the >design on a ATtiny2313.
So it was! I should have a copy or two around here (see page 28) 8-) Charlie
On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 16:58:51 -0700, Charlie E. <edmondson@ieee.org>
wrote:

>On 30 Sep 2012 18:55:19 GMT, Jaded Hobo <jaded@hobo.net> wrote: > >>On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:11:02 -0700, Charlie E. wrote: >> >>> On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 11:05:20 -0700, Jim Thompson >>> <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon@On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote: >>> >>>>On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 10:14:40 -0700, Charlie E. <edmondson@ieee.org> >>>>wrote: >>>> >>>>>Hi All, >>>>>Ok, going crazy (short trip, I know...) >>>>> >>>>>A few months ago, I saw an article that included information on delta >>>>>sigma DACs, inlcuding some code the author had written, I belive for an >>>>>8051, to implement one in software. So, now that I finally want to try >>>>>it out, I can't find it anywhere. Anyone know what magazine or have a >>>>>link to that article? I thought it was in EDN, but can't find it >>>>>searching their site >>>>> >>>>>Or if someone has a link to some sample C code for a D/S DAC that I >>>>>could examine, I would appreciate it. Just trying to get my head >>>>>around the practice as opposed to the theory... >>>>> >>>>>Thanks, >>>>>Charlie >>>> >>>>I receive EDN as a PDF. I have at least a year's worth still saved. No >>>>such article found, so maybe another magazine? >>>> >>>> ...Jim Thompson >>> Must have been. Embedded? It definitely wasn't Circuit Cellar... :-( >> >>It was Circuit Cellar (April 2012 page 42). I actually implemented the >>design on a ATtiny2313. > >So it was! I should have a copy or two around here (see page 28) > >8-) > >Charlie
Ok, I remember this now. Actually, the article I was looking at, I first saw in December or January and thought it might be interesting. Then, I saw Robert's article in CC and thogut I should try it someday. The day has come, and I can't find the original article... ;-) Charlie