Forums

1mm packet of photons

Started by amdx September 6, 2012
Hi all,
  Here's a TED video of pulsed laser used in photography.
Watch it all, because at some point you might say, no that can't be 
right, but then he explains it.

11 minutes.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_748924&feature=iv&hd=1&src_vid=SoHeWgLvlXI&v=mfgsQX78hg8#t=12s

                                  Mikek
amdx wrote:
> Hi all, > Here's a TED video of pulsed laser used in photography. > Watch it all, because at some point you might say, no that can't be > right, but then he explains it. > > 11 minutes. > > > http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_748924&feature=iv&hd=1&src_vid=SoHeWgLvlXI&v=mfgsQX78hg8#t=12s > > > Mikek
Lousy lip "sync".
On 9/6/2012 5:41 PM, robertbaer@teranews.com wrote:
> amdx wrote: >> Hi all, >> Here's a TED video of pulsed laser used in photography. >> Watch it all, because at some point you might say, no that can't be >> right, but then he explains it. >> >> 11 minutes. >> >> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_748924&feature=iv&hd=1&src_vid=SoHeWgLvlXI&v=mfgsQX78hg8#t=12s >> >> >> >> Mikek > Lousy lip "sync". >
Gee, I was so into the subject that I didn't notice. Why would you be interested in his lips? Mikek
On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 14:29:15 -0500, amdx <amdx@knologynotthis.net>
wrote:

>Hi all, > Here's a TED video of pulsed laser used in photography. >Watch it all, because at some point you might say, no that can't be >right, but then he explains it. > >11 minutes. > > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_748924&feature=iv&hd=1&src_vid=SoHeWgLvlXI&v=mfgsQX78hg8#t=12s > > Mikek
--- Beauty! -- JF
amdx wrote:
> On 9/6/2012 5:41 PM, robertbaer@teranews.com wrote: >> amdx wrote: >>> Hi all, >>> Here's a TED video of pulsed laser used in photography. >>> Watch it all, because at some point you might say, no that can't be >>> right, but then he explains it. >>> >>> 11 minutes. >>> >>> >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_748924&feature=iv&hd=1&src_vid=SoHeWgLvlXI&v=mfgsQX78hg8#t=12s >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> Mikek >> Lousy lip "sync". >> > > Gee, I was so into the subject that I didn't notice. > Why would you be interested in his lips? > Mikek
Do you not find it rather disconcerting when the sync is so bad? Or does everybody's lips move before the corresponding sound?
On 7/09/2012 4:03 PM, robertbaer@teranews.com wrote:
> amdx wrote: >> On 9/6/2012 5:41 PM, robertbaer@teranews.com wrote: >>> amdx wrote: >>>> Hi all, >>>> Here's a TED video of pulsed laser used in photography. >>>> Watch it all, because at some point you might say, no that can't be >>>> right, but then he explains it. >>>> >>>> 11 minutes. >>>> >>>> >>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_748924&feature=iv&hd=1&src_vid=SoHeWgLvlXI&v=mfgsQX78hg8#t=12s >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> Mikek >>> Lousy lip "sync". >>> >> >> Gee, I was so into the subject that I didn't notice. >> Why would you be interested in his lips? >> Mikek > Do you not find it rather disconcerting when the sync is so bad? > Or does everybody's lips move before the corresponding sound? >
That effect is always present to some degree in real life. It depends how far from the speaker you are. Sylvia.
On Sep 7, 1:41=A0am, "robertb...@teranews.com" <robertb...@localnet.com>
wrote:
> =A0 =A0Lousy lip "sync".
Why do you watch a youtube copy and not the original? http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/ramesh_raskar_a_camera_that_takes_one_tr= illion_frames_per_second.html Regards, Mikko
On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 14:29:15 -0500, amdx <amdx@knologynotthis.net>
wrote:

>Hi all, > Here's a TED video of pulsed laser used in photography. >Watch it all, because at some point you might say, no that can't be >right, but then he explains it. > >11 minutes. > > >http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_748924&feature=iv&hd=1&src_vid=SoHeWgLvlXI&v=mfgsQX78hg8#t=12s > > Mikek
I don't think it really takes a trillion frames per second. It's a stroboscopic thing, like a sampling oscilloscope. I think they use a streak tube and some sort of shutter to scan the other axis. I didn't watch the entire video, but I didn't see an explanation of how it's actually done. I suspect it takes a while to build up one of those videos. -- John Larkin Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators
On 9/7/2012 9:27 AM, John Larkin wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 14:29:15 -0500, amdx <amdx@knologynotthis.net> > wrote: > >> Hi all, >> Here's a TED video of pulsed laser used in photography. >> Watch it all, because at some point you might say, no that can't be >> right, but then he explains it. >> >> 11 minutes. >> >> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_748924&feature=iv&hd=1&src_vid=SoHeWgLvlXI&v=mfgsQX78hg8#t=12s >> >> Mikek > > I don't think it really takes a trillion frames per second. It's a > stroboscopic thing, like a sampling oscilloscope. I think they use a > streak tube and some sort of shutter to scan the other axis. I didn't > watch the entire video, but I didn't see an explanation of how it's > actually done. I suspect it takes a while to build up one of those > videos. > >
Exactly right John, That's why I said "watch it all" because it is not as it seems. He does explain it. Mikek
On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 10:55:14 -0500, amdx <amdx@knology.net> wrote:

>On 9/7/2012 9:27 AM, John Larkin wrote: >> On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 14:29:15 -0500, amdx <amdx@knologynotthis.net> >> wrote: >> >>> Hi all, >>> Here's a TED video of pulsed laser used in photography. >>> Watch it all, because at some point you might say, no that can't be >>> right, but then he explains it. >>> >>> 11 minutes. >>> >>> >>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_748924&feature=iv&hd=1&src_vid=SoHeWgLvlXI&v=mfgsQX78hg8#t=12s >>> >>> Mikek >> >> I don't think it really takes a trillion frames per second. It's a >> stroboscopic thing, like a sampling oscilloscope. I think they use a >> streak tube and some sort of shutter to scan the other axis. I didn't >> watch the entire video, but I didn't see an explanation of how it's >> actually done. I suspect it takes a while to build up one of those >> videos. >> >> > > Exactly right John, That's why I said "watch it all" because it is >not as it seems. He does explain it. > Mikek
I did a quick pan and didn't see it. I'll look again when I have time. I actually have a use for a streak camera. They are super-expensive, so if this gets to production we may look to buy the tube somewhere and make the rest ourselves. That would be fun. Anybody here have experience with streak tubes? -- John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com http://www.highlandtechnology.com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom laser drivers and controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME thermocouple, LVDT, synchro acquisition and simulation