Forums

circuit simulator for 8051 microcontrollers

Started by Srinivas Nayak June 16, 2012
I am looking for a circuit simulation software, so that I can make a circuit using ds89c430 microcontroller, simulate/check and then purchase the parts and make a kit.

Can you please let me know, which circuit simulation software is good, and supports 8051 microcontrollers.

Better if open source / free circuit simulation software.
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 06:34:33 -0700 (PDT), Srinivas Nayak
<sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com> wrote:

>I am looking for a circuit simulation software, so that I can make a circuit using ds89c430 microcontroller, simulate/check and then purchase the parts and make a kit. > >Can you please let me know, which circuit simulation software is good, and supports 8051 microcontrollers. > >Better if open source / free circuit simulation software.
Free instruction set simulators are available but they won't exactly model specific chips. A software simulator that correctly and completely models the cycle-by-cycle behavior of a particular processor, its memory layout, and its peripherals isn't going to be cheap. Keil seems to have one for the DS9C430 but they don't give a price online, just a request for a quote, so stand by for $$$$. A much less expensive alternative loader/debugger is NoICE http://www.noicedebugger.com/index.html, although you won't get a full simulator. But, IMHO, simulators aren't all that useful. Better to develop on the target silicon and wiggle a bit or two, if required. -- Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 06:34:33 -0700, Srinivas Nayak wrote:

> I am looking for a circuit simulation software, so that I can make a > circuit using ds89c430 microcontroller, simulate/check and then purchase > the parts and make a kit. > > Can you please let me know, which circuit simulation software is good, > and supports 8051 microcontrollers. > > Better if open source / free circuit simulation software.
If you want a simulator that'll simulate the processor with its software, I'm nearly certain that you're out of luck -- if such a thing exists it'll be from Mentor or some other high-zoot place, and it'll cost $50,000 a seat. Of course, it'll be nice to be surprised on this one. -- Tim Wescott Control system and signal processing consulting www.wescottdesign.com
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 11:39:37 -0400, Rich Webb wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 06:34:33 -0700 (PDT), Srinivas Nayak > <sinu.nayak2001@gmail.com> wrote: > >>I am looking for a circuit simulation software, so that I can make a >>circuit using ds89c430 microcontroller, simulate/check and then purchase >>the parts and make a kit. >> >>Can you please let me know, which circuit simulation software is good, >>and supports 8051 microcontrollers. >> >>Better if open source / free circuit simulation software. > > Free instruction set simulators are available but they won't exactly > model specific chips. > > A software simulator that correctly and completely models the > cycle-by-cycle behavior of a particular processor, its memory layout, > and its peripherals isn't going to be cheap. Keil seems to have one for > the DS9C430 but they don't give a price online, just a request for a > quote, so stand by for $$$$. > > A much less expensive alternative loader/debugger is NoICE > http://www.noicedebugger.com/index.html, although you won't get a full > simulator. > > But, IMHO, simulators aren't all that useful. Better to develop on the > target silicon and wiggle a bit or two, if required.
And if the microprocessor is going to be tightly integrated with hardware, (i.e., it'll generate a PWM for a switching amplifier or something), then implement a simplified algorithm in your flavor of SPICE's logic, and see how the circuit reacts. -- My liberal friends think I'm a conservative kook. My conservative friends think I'm a liberal kook. Why am I not happy that they have found common ground? Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Software http://www.wescottdesign.com
We use Proteus VSM which does support 8051. But we use it for PIC family only. http://www.labcenter.com/products/8051.cfm Very reasonably priced suite of tools. Personally I only use the schematic capture and layout tools. Great support too. JB

Look for sim8051.exe by Steve Nolan, circa 2000, free. It works with 8051 code and I have used it to check all my programs. Really good. Google for it. Otherwise I can post a copy Maybe here: http://www.findthatzip.com/search-11304498-hZIP/winrar-winzip-download-sim51.zip.htm -- Sandy
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 21:45:51 +0100, "JB" <jb@nospam.net> wrote:

> >"Tim Wescott" <tim@seemywebsite.please> wrote in message=20 >news:9f2dnayH-8HkNEHSnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@web-ster.com... >> On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 06:34:33 -0700, Srinivas Nayak wrote: >> >>> I am looking for a circuit simulation software, so that I can make a >>> circuit using ds89c430 microcontroller, simulate/check and then =
purchase
>>> the parts and make a kit. >>> >>> Can you please let me know, which circuit simulation software is =
good,
>>> and supports 8051 microcontrollers. >>> >>> Better if open source / free circuit simulation software. >> >> If you want a simulator that'll simulate the processor with its =
software,
>> I'm nearly certain that you're out of luck -- if such a thing exists >> it'll be from Mentor or some other high-zoot place, and it'll cost >> $50,000 a seat. >> >> Of course, it'll be nice to be surprised on this one. >> >We use Proteus VSM which does support 8051. But we use it for PIC family=
=20
>only. >http://www.labcenter.com/products/8051.cfm >Very reasonably priced suite of tools. Personally I only use the =
schematic=20
>capture and layout tools. Great support too. > >JB=20 >
Not too shabby. However it only seems to simulate the digital/uC portion of a design and does not have a connection to SPICE. ?-)
"josephkk" <joseph_barrett@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 21:45:51 +0100, "JB" <jb@nospam.net> wrote:

> >"Tim Wescott" <tim@seemywebsite.please> wrote in message >news:9f2dnayH-8HkNEHSnZ2dnUVZ_uidnZ2d@web-ster.com... >> On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 06:34:33 -0700, Srinivas Nayak wrote: >> >>> I am looking for a circuit simulation software, so that I can make a >>> circuit using ds89c430 microcontroller, simulate/check and then purchase >>> the parts and make a kit. >>> >>> Can you please let me know, which circuit simulation software is good, >>> and supports 8051 microcontrollers. >>> >>> Better if open source / free circuit simulation software. >> >> If you want a simulator that'll simulate the processor with its software, >> I'm nearly certain that you're out of luck -- if such a thing exists >> it'll be from Mentor or some other high-zoot place, and it'll cost >> $50,000 a seat. >> >> Of course, it'll be nice to be surprised on this one. >> >We use Proteus VSM which does support 8051. But we use it for PIC family >only. >http://www.labcenter.com/products/8051.cfm >Very reasonably priced suite of tools. Personally I only use the schematic >capture and layout tools. Great support too. > >JB >
Not too shabby. However it only seems to simulate the digital/uC portion of a design and does not have a connection to SPICE. ?-) That link only to the VSM (uC sim) part of the package. There is full circuit simulation built into the suite. The VSM is not used by all and is a fairly expensive add-in.