Forums

NiMH charger recommendations?

Started by DaveC April 4, 2012
> http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/technoline/technoline-BL700.asp > > Flexible if a little slow. I've found the very fast chargers prone to > killing the batteries after a few cycles. > > Chris K
That's the same charger that La Crosse puts its name on: < http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-BC-9009-AlphaPower/dp/B00077AA5Q> With such a wide range of good AA/AAA chargers and a dearth of AA/AAA/9V chargers, I might get a dedicated 9V charger just to take care of those... Thanks, Dave
On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 23:12:53 -0700, DaveC <invalid@invalid.net> wrote:

>First of all, this is a request for a *recommendation*, not a request for >someone to do Google searches for me. >- - - >I need a charger for AA, AAA, and 9v batteries. Four of the AA or AAA >at a time is OK. > >I see very few that support all these batteries (Maha makes a >separate charger for 9v). Of those that do, not all use delta-V >termination (or don't specify). > >Of those remaining that qualify, I've not heard of the manufacturers >("Powerlzer"? -- that's not a misspelling), or Chinese no-name ones: > ><http://www.horizonbattery.com/battery-chargers/chargers-by-type/12-bay-aa- >aaa-9v-battery-charger.html> > >The Tenergy TN190 is the only one I've seen: > ><http://www.all- >battery.com/Tenergy_TN190_NiMH_NiCd_Advanced_Universal_Charger_with_LCD_Displa >y-01190.aspx> > >Does anybody know of such combo chargers? Can recommend one? > >Thanks, >Dave >
Maha chargers are recommended by many.
Harbor Freight NiCd/NiMH charger does all 1.5v and 9v batteries.
Check it out.  item#47618
I have one and use it.
On sale for $14.99 + tax and shipping or go into local store.
http://www.harborfreight.com/battery-quick-charger-47618.html
&bull;Recharges batteries singly or in a group
&bull;Built-in IC timer control
&bull;LED lights indicate charge status
&bull;Automatic charging current selection for different size batteries
&bull;Plugs into standard 110V outlet

Charging Times: NiCd D/C/AA/AAA: 5 hours by timer control
NiMH D/C/AA/AAA: 8 hours by timer control
NiCd/NiMH 9V: 10-15 hours manually
Shipping Weight: 2.25 lbs.



--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to news@netfront.net ---
William Sommerwerck wrote:
> I own an Energizer CHM4FC, which you can get for around $25. It handles AAA, > AA, C, D, and 9V. There's a NiCd / NiMH switch for cell type. I use it for > 5400mAh C cells, and it works fine. > > http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/chm4fc.pdf > > The catch is... The maximum charge current is ~ 500mA, and you have no > control over what the charger does. > > Get a MAHA PowerEx MH-C9000. It does only AA and AAA cells, * but you won't > regret it. You can pick the charge rate, and there are functions (such as > refresh and capacity) not on simple chargers. You can see exactly what's > going on. > > http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Maha-Powerex-MH-C9000-AA--AAA-Battery-Chargerbr_p_134.html > > The current $52 price seems high (I have two, purchased at around $40 each), > but Thomas occasionally has sales. > > > * MAHA told me it has no intention of making a C adapter. Rats.
I have that MAHA charger and it can't correctly discharge Sanyo Eneloops (I think they have a little higher impedance than other cells) and the charger uses some horrible high current pulse mode. Then on charge one day it put >3.6Ah into one of my 2Ah cells. I don't use it anymore. Then again, I have had troubles with the Lacrosse BC-900 type chargers too. Only they just break after a while, but work Ok in general. There are also hobby chargers. I have a Thunderpower at work for some LiPo cells. -- _____________________ Mr.CRC crobcBOGUS@REMOVETHISsbcglobal.net SuSE 10.3 Linux 2.6.22.17
> http://www.harborfreight.com/battery-quick-charger-47618.html
No delta-V for end-of-charge detection. Might be OK for charging 9V or conditioning a bum cell... Dave
> http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-BC-9009-AlphaPower/dp/B00077AA5Q> > > With such a wide range of good AA/AAA chargers and a dearth of AA/AAA/9V > chargers, I might get a dedicated 9V charger just to take care of those... > > Thanks, > Dave >
If you go the dedicated 9V charger route, just buy Sayno ENELOOPs with their charger and junk your old batteries. It is really hard to beat this technology. I refuse to buy anything that uses a 9V battery. I often decide between similar products based on the battery. I pick the prdocut that uses AA over AAA cell. There is nothing like AA cells. No matter where you go, you can find AA cells.
On 2012-04-04, Chris K wrote:

> Also, if you get an 'intelligent' charger for single cells, they are > often a bit too clever and fail to recognise the presence of a cell that > has been over discharged or reverse charged (can easily happen in multi > cell packs). A quick blast (~1A for a few seconds) gives it enough of a > start for the charger to see it. Either keep a 'dumb' charger or > connect across an alakaline cell for a few seconds.
Aha! My favourite home battery charger is the one I bought in Tesco in Korea a few years ago: you can charge any number (up to 4) of AA or AAA batteries, mixed in any order, independently, and it has a sensible set of light meanings: * no light: no battery in this slot * red: charging * green: charged * blinking red: battery doesn't work and I've been getting quite a few of the last one recently. I guess I should get those NiMH batteries back out of the bin and try them in a "less sophisticated" charger to see if they work again after that?
> I've used this one for a number of years > > http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/technoline/technoline-BL700.asp
I certainly like that one. All the numbers & options have a lot of geeky appeal. ;-)
> Flexible if a little slow. I've found the very fast chargers prone to > killing the batteries after a few cycles.
(The one I mentioned above is fairly fast.) -- Some say the world will end in fire; some say in segfaults. [XKCD 312]
On Thu, 05 Apr 2012 11:07:06 +1000, Mr.CRC  
<crobcBOGUS@removethissbcglobal.net> wrote:

> William Sommerwerck wrote: >> I own an Energizer CHM4FC, which you can get for around $25. It handles >> AAA, >> AA, C, D, and 9V. There's a NiCd / NiMH switch for cell type. I use it >> for >> 5400mAh C cells, and it works fine. >> >> http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/chm4fc.pdf >> >> The catch is... The maximum charge current is ~ 500mA, and you have no >> control over what the charger does. >> >> Get a MAHA PowerEx MH-C9000. It does only AA and AAA cells, * but you >> won't >> regret it. You can pick the charge rate, and there are functions (such >> as >> refresh and capacity) not on simple chargers. You can see exactly what's >> going on. >> >> http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Maha-Powerex-MH-C9000-AA--AAA-Battery-Chargerbr_p_134.html >> >> The current $52 price seems high (I have two, purchased at around $40 >> each), >> but Thomas occasionally has sales. >> >> >> * MAHA told me it has no intention of making a C adapter. Rats. > > I have that MAHA charger and it can't correctly discharge Sanyo Eneloops > (I think they have a little higher impedance than other cells) and the > charger uses some horrible high current pulse mode. > > Then on charge one day it put >3.6Ah into one of my 2Ah cells. I don't > use it anymore. >
I've had trouble too with low discharge cells. My charger has two charge rates at the low rate it may not pick up the drop in cell voltage when fully charged but they work OK at the higher charge rate
> Then again, I have had troubles with the Lacrosse BC-900 type chargers > too. Only they just break after a while, but work Ok in general. > > There are also hobby chargers. I have a Thunderpower at work for some > LiPo cells. > > >
-- We have failed to address the fundamental truth that endless growth is impossible in a finite world.
On Apr 4, 10:38=A0pm, miso <m...@sushi.com> wrote:
> >http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-BC-9009-AlphaPower/dp/B000...= > > > > With such a wide range of good AA/AAA chargers and a dearth of AA/AAA/9=
V
> > chargers, I might get a dedicated 9V charger just to take care of those=
...
> > > Thanks, > > Dave > > If you go the dedicated 9V charger route, just buy Sayno ENELOOPs with > their charger and junk your old batteries. It is really hard to beat > this technology. > > I refuse to buy anything that uses a 9V battery. I often decide between > similar products based on the battery. I pick the prdocut that uses AA > over AAA cell. There is nothing like AA cells. No matter where you go, > you can find AA cells.
AAA are everywhere too, if you look hard enough. One nice thing about AAA is that with the right adapter, you can fit several of them in a standard C or D holder. For example, the harbour freight free LED light has a 3 AAA holder. I want them just for the holder, after using up the batteries of course. I am building something that could use 12 AAA rechargeable, so four sets of holders in D battery holder. I want independently accessible cells so i can monitor all voltages individually.
  This message is in MIME format.  The first part should be readable text,
  while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools.

--8323328-76408329-1333763593=:19962
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: QUOTED-PRINTABLE

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012, linnix wrote:

> On Apr 4, 10:38=A0pm, miso <m...@sushi.com> wrote: >>> http://www.amazon.com/La-Crosse-Technology-BC-9009-AlphaPower/dp/B000..=
=2E>
>> >>> With such a wide range of good AA/AAA chargers and a dearth of AA/AAA/9=
V
>>> chargers, I might get a dedicated 9V charger just to take care of those=
=2E..
>> >>> Thanks, >>> Dave >> >> If you go the dedicated 9V charger route, just buy Sayno ENELOOPs with >> their charger and junk your old batteries. It is really hard to beat >> this technology. >> >> I refuse to buy anything that uses a 9V battery. I often decide between >> similar products based on the battery. I pick the prdocut that uses AA >> over AAA cell. There is nothing like AA cells. No matter where you go, >> you can find AA cells. > > AAA are everywhere too, if you look hard enough. One nice thing about > AAA is that with the right adapter, you can fit several of them in a > standard C or D holder. For example, the harbour freight free LED > light has a 3 AAA holder. I want them just for the holder, after > using up the batteries of course. I am building something that could > use 12 AAA rechargeable, so four sets of holders in D battery holder. > I want independently accessible cells so i can monitor all voltages > individually. >
Don't forget to reuse the LED(s) from the flashlight. SOmetimes those=20 cheap things are a great source of either batteries (all those 1.99 laser= =20 pointers have button cells included) or parts. AAAs may be everywhere, but they are just one more thing to stock. A lot= =20 of cheap flashlights are using them these days, as I realized when the=20 power went off for about 12 hours in January. I could find the AA=20 batteries I had bought in bulk, but not the couple of packages of AAA that= =20 I'd bought. So I had a bunch of flashlights that weren't helpful for lack= =20 of batteries. Michael --8323328-76408329-1333763593=:19962--