Forums

Open source 'Pan Tilt Zoom' for Zoneminder?

Started by Winston March 14, 2012
Given the extortionate prices for decent PTZ
Ethernet cameras, this seems like a natural project
for you talented EE types.

* 'Point and Shoot' HD cameras are now in the ~U$ 100 range.
* Microcontroller boards are cheap and plentiful
* Servos are cheap and easy to get

My Google-fu has been helpless to reveal an open
source Ethernet Pan-Tilt-Zoom camera design.

Your thoughts please?

--Winston<-- Please don't suggest Foscam.
              http://www.foscam.com/pro.aspx?TypeId=1
              I returned the garbage they shipped.  :)
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:25:42 -0700, Winston wrote:

> Given the extortionate prices for decent PTZ Ethernet cameras, this > seems like a natural project for you talented EE types. > > * 'Point and Shoot' HD cameras are now in the ~U$ 100 range. * > Microcontroller boards are cheap and plentiful * Servos are cheap and > easy to get > > My Google-fu has been helpless to reveal an open source Ethernet > Pan-Tilt-Zoom camera design. > > Your thoughts please?
Base it on RC-style servos and the electro-mechanical part of it is well within the capabilities of a good hobbyist. I don't know if there's an Ethernet Pan/Tilt standard, and if so how hard it would be to conform to -- but assuming that either there's none or that the one out there is easy, the Ethernet part should be reasonable, too, given a board or processor with a pre-installed Ethernet dingus. Get cracking! -- My liberal friends think I'm a conservative kook. My conservative friends think I'm a liberal kook. Why am I not happy that they have found common ground? Tim Wescott, Communications, Control, Circuits & Software http://www.wescottdesign.com
Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:25:42 -0700, Winston wrote: > >> Given the extortionate prices for decent PTZ Ethernet cameras, this >> seems like a natural project for you talented EE types. >> >> * 'Point and Shoot' HD cameras are now in the ~U$ 100 range. * >> Microcontroller boards are cheap and plentiful * Servos are cheap and >> easy to get >> >> My Google-fu has been helpless to reveal an open source Ethernet >> Pan-Tilt-Zoom camera design. >> >> Your thoughts please? > > Base it on RC-style servos and the electro-mechanical part of it is well > within the capabilities of a good hobbyist. I don't know if there's an > Ethernet Pan/Tilt standard, and if so how hard it would be to conform to > -- but assuming that either there's none or that the one out there is > easy, the Ethernet part should be reasonable, too, given a board or > processor with a pre-installed Ethernet dingus. > > Get cracking!
Thanks Tim! :) --Winston

Several of my recent video chip designs are in these products... http://www.pixim.com/ But had nothing to do with pan and tilt, just video amplification, sync separation, day/night filters and UTC data back and forth during the VBI... that data _was_ used for pan, tilt, zoom and focus, but those motor drivers came from other sources. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:14:45 -0500, Tim Wescott<tim@seemywebsite.com> > wrote: > >> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:25:42 -0700, Winston wrote: >> >>> Given the extortionate prices for decent PTZ Ethernet cameras, this >>> seems like a natural project for you talented EE types. >>> >>> * 'Point and Shoot' HD cameras are now in the ~U$ 100 range.
>>> * Microcontroller boards are cheap and plentiful >>> * Servos are cheap and easy to get
They all look very profe$$ional. :) --Winston
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 16:15:56 -0700, Winston <Winston@Bigbrother.net>
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote: >> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:14:45 -0500, Tim Wescott<tim@seemywebsite.com> >> wrote: >> >>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:25:42 -0700, Winston wrote: >>> >>>> Given the extortionate prices for decent PTZ Ethernet cameras, this >>>> seems like a natural project for you talented EE types. >>>> >>>> * 'Point and Shoot' HD cameras are now in the ~U$ 100 range. > >>> * Microcontroller boards are cheap and plentiful > >>> * Servos are cheap and easy to get >>>> >>>> My Google-fu has been helpless to reveal an open source Ethernet >>>> Pan-Tilt-Zoom camera design. >>>> >>>> Your thoughts please? >>> >>> Base it on RC-style servos and the electro-mechanical part of it is well >>> within the capabilities of a good hobbyist. I don't know if there's an >>> Ethernet Pan/Tilt standard, and if so how hard it would be to conform to >>> -- but assuming that either there's none or that the one out there is >>> easy, the Ethernet part should be reasonable, too, given a board or >>> processor with a pre-installed Ethernet dingus. >>> >>> Get cracking! >> >> Several of my recent video chip designs are in these products... >> >> http://www.pixim.com/ >> >> But had nothing to do with pan and tilt, just video amplification, >> sync separation, day/night filters and UTC data back and forth during >> the VBI... that data _was_ used for pan, tilt, zoom and focus, but >> those motor drivers came from other sources. > >They all look very profe$$ional. :) > >--Winston
Yep. Heavy-duty security systems. ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote: >> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 17:14:45 -0500, Tim Wescott<tim@seemywebsite.com> >> wrote: >> >>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 14:25:42 -0700, Winston wrote: >>> >>>> Given the extortionate prices for decent PTZ Ethernet cameras, this >>>> seems like a natural project for you talented EE types. >>>> >>>> * 'Point and Shoot' HD cameras are now in the ~U$ 100 range. > >>> * Microcontroller boards are cheap and plentiful > >>> * Servos are cheap and easy to get >>>> >>>> My Google-fu has been helpless to reveal an open source Ethernet >>>> Pan-Tilt-Zoom camera design. >>>> >>>> Your thoughts please? >>> >>> Base it on RC-style servos and the electro-mechanical part of it is well >>> within the capabilities of a good hobbyist. I don't know if there's an >>> Ethernet Pan/Tilt standard, and if so how hard it would be to conform to >>> -- but assuming that either there's none or that the one out there is >>> easy, the Ethernet part should be reasonable, too, given a board or >>> processor with a pre-installed Ethernet dingus. >>> >>> Get cracking! >> >> Several of my recent video chip designs are in these products... >> >> http://www.pixim.com/ >> >> But had nothing to do with pan and tilt, just video amplification, >> sync separation, day/night filters and UTC data back and forth during >> the VBI... that data _was_ used for pan, tilt, zoom and focus, but >> those motor drivers came from other sources. > >They all look very profe$$ional. :) > >--Winston
It occurs to me that you could do hobby-level stuff with comparators (such as LM339) for sync separation _and_ data. Look up Coaxitron Protocol and UTC to see how they piggy-back the data inside the VBI (vertical blanking interval). ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson, CTO | mens | | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | | | Voice:(480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat | | E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 | I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Jim Thompson wrote:

(...)

> It occurs to me that you could do hobby-level stuff with comparators > (such as LM339) for sync separation _and_ data. Look up Coaxitron > Protocol and UTC to see how they piggy-back the data inside the VBI > (vertical blanking interval).
Yeahbut, Power Over Ethernet would give one all the necessary functionality without too much sweat, at least for cameras shielded from temperature extremes. --Winston
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150749349731 is a kit of the mecahnical parts to use a pair of small servos. It is under $15. -- You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense.
The Panasonic line of security cameras are reasonably priced. Even for the Pan and tilt ones. <http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010040%2050001009&IsNodeId=1&name=Panasonic> Cheers