Forums

Attacking the 35$ (not) computah

Started by Jan Panteltje March 4, 2012
Attacking the 35$ (not) computah.

"To get people interested in computers and electronics"
 Then why not release the datasheet of the chips?
A circuit diagram, full documentation too.

So that is a joke.

Sinclair came with the ZX80 in the eighties.
It was all TTL chips, and a Z80 processor.
Now that was something.
The ZX81 had some of that TTL integrated.
Diagrams were available, I even had the complete ROM
disassembly commented by Dr Ohara.
THAT is how you get people interested,
BBC micro was just like BBC, a government sponsored disaster,
It flipped.
Sinclair became Sir Clive Sinclair, for his contributions
to that what you now try to claim,
I'd say to the youngsters:
Get an old ZX80.

The whole thing from an educational POV makes no sense,
as how many youngsters have a HDMI capable monitor?
The thing has no VGA.

It is just a marketing thing, maybe it was only a Broadcom evaluation board,
but then why not release chip data? Could help them sell chips..
So that does not make sense.
Of course it bytes into the profit margin of everyone else that sells
cheap single board computahs...
Farnell only sells to companies, maybe be RS will sell to an individual...
CHILD???? Oh man, for that to happen they must be in the shop window
before Christmas... LOL and then it will be 70 $ plus a mouse,
plus a HDMI monitor, plus a keyboard, plus an USB hub, plus plus...
Oh, power supply too? Or does it come with one?
Don't think so.

So, overall its hype, hype more hype, and did I mention HYPE?

The ZX81 was available from the supermarket here (V&D).

"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Attacking the 35$ (not) computah. > > "To get people interested in computers and electronics" > Then why not release the datasheet of the chips?
Why, the "datasheet" (more a complete library of documents for this sort of device) is available on the web, along with just about every other electronic component in existence.
> A circuit diagram, full documentation too.
So do you require a circuit diagram of your laptop in order to use it? I haven't found the remotest need for a schematic for the embedded linux boards I use, the only hardware information that's at all necessary is the pinout for I/O. 99.9% of my documentation requirement is software related.
> So that is a joke. >
On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 11:58:15 GMT, Jan Panteltje
<pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>The whole thing from an educational POV makes no sense, >as how many youngsters have a HDMI capable monitor? >The thing has no VGA.
You're an idiot. In the "ZX80" days, there were CGA and VGA monitors. We didn't see you pissing and moaning for the folks who could only afford CGA. Many displays these days have HDMI input, you twit. One can also convert from HDMI to DVI. Got any other 100% retarded criticisms, idiot?
"Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers"
<theslipperman@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> wrote in message
> On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 11:58:15 GMT, Jan Panteltje > <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote: > >>The whole thing from an educational POV makes no sense, >>as how many youngsters have a HDMI capable monitor? >>The thing has no VGA. > > > You're an idiot. In the "ZX80" days, there were CGA and VGA monitors. > We didn't see you pissing and moaning for the folks who could only afford > CGA. > > Many displays these days have HDMI input, you twit. > > One can also convert from HDMI to DVI. > > Got any other 100% retarded criticisms, idiot?
Your both wrong. The ZX80 output was a modulated TV channel 36 monochrome output. (Aztec UHF modulator IIRC).
Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Attacking the 35$ (not) computah. > >"To get people interested in computers and electronics" > Then why not release the datasheet of the chips? >A circuit diagram, full documentation too. > >So that is a joke. > > >The whole thing from an educational POV makes no sense, >as how many youngsters have a HDMI capable monitor?
HDMI is pretty close to DVI. A conversion cable is enough to connect any DVI TFT monitor to it. -- Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply indicates you are not using the right tools... nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.) --------------------------------------------------------------
"Jan Panteltje" <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
<snip>
> Farnell only sells to companies, maybe be RS will sell to an individual...
<snip> It's the other way around these days. petrus bitbyter
Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Attacking the 35$ (not) computah. > > "To get people interested in computers and electronics" > Then why not release the datasheet of the chips? > A circuit diagram, full documentation too. > > So that is a joke. > > Sinclair came with the ZX80 in the eighties. > It was all TTL chips, and a Z80 processor. > Now that was something. > The ZX81 had some of that TTL integrated. > Diagrams were available, I even had the complete ROM > disassembly commented by Dr Ohara. > THAT is how you get people interested, > BBC micro was just like BBC, a government sponsored disaster, > It flipped. > Sinclair became Sir Clive Sinclair, for his contributions > to that what you now try to claim, > I'd say to the youngsters: > Get an old ZX80. > > The whole thing from an educational POV makes no sense, > as how many youngsters have a HDMI capable monitor? > The thing has no VGA. > > It is just a marketing thing, maybe it was only a Broadcom evaluation board, > but then why not release chip data? Could help them sell chips.. > So that does not make sense. > Of course it bytes into the profit margin of everyone else that sells > cheap single board computahs... > Farnell only sells to companies, maybe be RS will sell to an individual... > CHILD???? Oh man, for that to happen they must be in the shop window > before Christmas... LOL and then it will be 70 $ plus a mouse, > plus a HDMI monitor, plus a keyboard, plus an USB hub, plus plus... > Oh, power supply too? Or does it come with one? > Don't think so. > > So, overall its hype, hype more hype, and did I mention HYPE? > > The ZX81 was available from the supermarket here (V&D). > > > > >
Yes, I have one, a a couple for parts. And no, I won't give it up.. Jamie
On 04/03/2012 11:58, Jan Panteltje wrote:
> Attacking the 35$ (not) computah.
> BBC micro was just like BBC, a government sponsored disaster, > It flipped.
Highly successful as I remember. The BBC is often quite good too.
> So, overall its hype, hype more hype, and did I mention HYPE?
I can do no better than to quote Steve Pelc from a previous thread: "I detect a note of "Not Invented Here" in some of the comments. IMHO Raspberry Pi is a cause for celebration, not for whining." And there are already some quite neat housings available, for example: http://tinyurl.com/6lvv5dn Cheers -- Syd
On a sunny day (Sun, 04 Mar 2012 14:23:33 GMT) it happened nico@puntnl.niks
(Nico Coesel) wrote in <4f537a65.3561802328@news.kpn.nl>:

>Jan Panteltje <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote: > >>Attacking the 35$ (not) computah. >> >>"To get people interested in computers and electronics" >> Then why not release the datasheet of the chips? >>A circuit diagram, full documentation too. >> >>So that is a joke. >> >> >>The whole thing from an educational POV makes no sense, >>as how many youngsters have a HDMI capable monitor? > >HDMI is pretty close to DVI. A conversion cable is enough to connect >any DVI TFT monitor to it.
The ZX80 / ZX81 / ZXspectrum had RF out for connection to any teafee set at that time It also had a keyboard. And one of the best BASICs (Dartmouth) with syntax checking on entry of a line. You could program it in asm too. So the kids could connect it to the teafee in the living room and fight for access versus other shows. It would still work on 90% of the teafees out there today. It came with power supply. Within a very short time a zillion extension things were on the market, I had for example, a nice 64 kB dynamic ram module that plugged into it. The bus was accessible on the back side. I am not arguing that that 100$ alias 35$ thingy is a real computah, I state that its educational value and especially its electronic educational value is zero compared to what Sir Clive brought, same from the value for money in that aspect POV. \They have been playing the press about it for many month now, plenty of time to make at least a decent diagram and provide links to or include the datasheets. Any twit can get a Broadcom chip in large quantities and install a Linux. It is all hype and not worth a dime. <sound of horse>
On a sunny day (Sun, 4 Mar 2012 13:46:12 -0000) it happened "Andy Bartlett"
<andyb@nospamming.net> wrote in
<XLCdne42mta6787SnZ2dnUVZ8lSdnZ2d@brightview.co.uk>:

> >"Chieftain of the Carpet Crawlers" ><theslipperman@thebarattheendoftheuniverse.org> wrote in message >news:76s6l71h2eqfsdfo87vmfk31llp8k5sktq@4ax.com... >> On Sun, 04 Mar 2012 11:58:15 GMT, Jan Panteltje >> <pNaonStpealmtje@yahoo.com> wrote: >> >>>The whole thing from an educational POV makes no sense, >>>as how many youngsters have a HDMI capable monitor? >>>The thing has no VGA. >> >> >> You're an idiot. In the "ZX80" days, there were CGA and VGA monitors. >> We didn't see you pissing and moaning for the folks who could only afford >> CGA. >> >> Many displays these days have HDMI input, you twit. >> >> One can also convert from HDMI to DVI. >> >> Got any other 100% retarded criticisms, idiot? > > >Your both wrong. The ZX80 output was a modulated TV channel 36 monochrome >output. (Aztec UHF modulator IIRC).
No, AlwayWrong is wrong as always he is wrong, but I am not, I had 2 ZX81 and 1 ZX80. Yes the Aztec modulator, I still have it maybe.