Forums

interference question

Started by Jon February 8, 2012
Robert Baer wrote:
> Jon wrote: > >> I didn't think so. >> >> I could run the wires in the crawl space but I don't want the rats >> gnawing the insulation off. I could run the wires through the living >> space in the trailer but I don't want unsightly wires running all over >> the ceilings. I think conduit in the crawl space is probably my best >> bet... the most expensive and the most difficult, but the safest. I >> could also run conduit in the living space. Thank all of you for your >> replies. Jon >> >> "John Larkin" wrote in message >> news:cj95j79uigmmp4njg7p4detjqm4psdpog4@4ax.com... >> >> On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:20:00 -0500, "Jon" <intrepid@bellaire.tv> wrote: >> >>> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable >>> wires. >>> >>> Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines? >> >> >> No. >> >> > Plastic pipe nominally used for waterpipe may be a lot less expensive.
And not legal where the NEC applies. Use PVC electrical conduit listed for the purpose. Ed
Robert Baer <robertbaer@localnet.com> wrote:
> Jon wrote: >> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable > wires. >>> Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines? > Only if there are: 1) brush type motors, 2) on/off motors, 3) chopped > AC devices like fluorescents, CFLs and lights with dimmers on the line. > In the first 2 cases, even ten feet separation may not be enough.
Voice I'm not sure of, but data can be incredibly robust. I recall setting up a LocalTalk (early Apple network protocol - RS-422 at 230 kbps) network in an HVDC converter station. As a test, we took a couple hundred feet of cable and wrapped it around a fluorescent light fixture outside the valve hall (where a 140 kV, 1700 A inverter resided). Perfect data transfer, and clean waveforms on the scope.