Forums

interference question

Started by Jon February 8, 2012
I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable 
wires.

Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines? 

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:20:00 -0500, Jon wrote:

> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable > wires. > > Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines?
It might if you've got something noisy hanging off of it, like a honkin' big motor or industrial lighting or whatnot. More importantly, you may get interference from your local building inspector. I have no idea what code says (other than most places don't want you to bury high voltage and low voltage in the same pipe). So -- check your local building codes. -- Tim Wescott Control system and signal processing consulting www.wescottdesign.com
On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:20:00 -0500, "Jon" <intrepid@bellaire.tv> wrote:

>I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable >wires. > >Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines?
No. -- John Larkin, President Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators
Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:20:00 -0500, Jon wrote: > > > I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and > > cable wires. > > > > Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines? > > It might if you've got something noisy hanging off of it, like a > honkin' big motor or industrial lighting or whatnot.
And whether the phone system is analog or digital PBX makes a big difference. -- Reply in group, but if emailing add one more zero, and remove the last word.
On Feb 8, 11:20=A0am, "Jon" <intre...@bellaire.tv> wrote:
> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable > wires. > > Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines?
If the lines are twisted pairs, shielded, balanced then the answer is no, up to a point. If in doubt, wrap the power line through a closed ferrite magnetic circuit, the more turns the lower the cutoff, this will kill any high frequency energy that might interfere with the data line.
Can you run metal-shielded romex in the runs where the wires are in
close proximity?  That should mitigate any cross-over interference.

On Feb 8, 10:20=A0am, "Jon" <intre...@bellaire.tv> wrote:
> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable > wires. > > Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines?
Jon wrote:
> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable > wires. > > Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines?
Only if there are: 1) brush type motors, 2) on/off motors, 3) chopped AC devices like fluorescents, CFLs and lights with dimmers on the line. In the first 2 cases, even ten feet separation may not be enough.
I didn't think so.

I could run the wires in the crawl space but I don't want the rats gnawing 
the insulation off.  I could run the wires through the living space in the 
trailer but I don't want unsightly wires running all over the ceilings.  I 
think conduit in the crawl space is probably my best bet... the most 
expensive and the most difficult, but the safest.  I could also run conduit 
in the living space.  Thank all of you for your replies.  Jon

"John Larkin"  wrote in message 
news:cj95j79uigmmp4njg7p4detjqm4psdpog4@4ax.com...

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:20:00 -0500, "Jon" <intrepid@bellaire.tv> wrote:

>I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable >wires. > >Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines?
No. -- John Larkin, President Highland Technology Inc www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators
"lektric.dan@gmail.com" wrote:
> > Can you run metal-shielded romex in the runs where the wires are in > close proximity?
BX cable? -- You can't have a sense of humor, if you have no sense.
Jon wrote:
> I didn't think so. > > I could run the wires in the crawl space but I don't want the rats > gnawing the insulation off. I could run the wires through the living > space in the trailer but I don't want unsightly wires running all over > the ceilings. I think conduit in the crawl space is probably my best > bet... the most expensive and the most difficult, but the safest. I > could also run conduit in the living space. Thank all of you for your > replies. Jon > > "John Larkin" wrote in message > news:cj95j79uigmmp4njg7p4detjqm4psdpog4@4ax.com... > > On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:20:00 -0500, "Jon" <intrepid@bellaire.tv> wrote: > >> I want to run 30 amp 10/2 wire 3 inches from phone, ethernet and cable >> wires. >> >> Will the ac line cause interference with the data/voice lines? > > No. > >
Plastic pipe nominally used for waterpipe may be a lot less expensive.